Crutched Friars was a street that ran east-west from Poor Jewry Lane to the east end of Hart Street above Seething Lane. When Stow wrote, most of Crutched Friars was known as Hart Street, so Stow only uses the name Crutched Friars to refer to Crutched Friars Priory (Harben). Since Stow does not name the street that ran from Aldgate to Woodroffe Lane, it could have been known as Hart Street, Crutched Friars, or something different. By 1754, Hart Street only extended west from the north end of Seething Lane to Mark Lane, with Crutched Friars running west from near the City Wall to Seething Lane (see Benjamin Cole’s 1754 engraving of Tower Street Ward [Cole] and Richard Blome’s 1720 engraving of Aldgate Ward [Blome]).
Crutched Friars is visible on the Agas map but is labelled with its Tudor name,
This article is a stub. The editors are seeking a full-length encyclopedia-style entry for this item. To contribute, see Contribute to MoEML.
Tower Street Ward with their Divisions into Pariſhes according to a New Survey.London, 1754. British Library. Open.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)