The Survey of London (1633): Cripplegate Ward

This document is currently in draft. When it has been reviewed and proofed, it will be published on the site.

View the draft document.

Please note that it is not of publishable quality yet.


THe next Ward is
called of Creple-
gate
, and consisteth
of divers streets &
lanes, lying as well
without the Gate
and VVall of the
City, as within.
First, within the VVall on the East part
thereof, towards the North, it runneth
to the west side of Bassings Hall Ward:
& towards the South, it joyneth to the
Ward of Cheap, it beginneth at the west
end of St. Laurence Church in the Iury,
on the North side, and runneth west to a
Pumpe, where sometime was a Well
with 2. Buckets, at the South corner of
Alderman bury street, which streete run-
neth down North to Gay-spur lane, & so
to London Wall, which street and lane are
wholly (on both sides) of this Ward, and
so be some few houses (on both the sides)
from Gay-spur lane, by and against the
Wall of the City, East to the Grates,
made for the water-course of the chan-
nels, and west to Creplegate.
Now on the South side,
From the Standard to the Crosse in Cheape, on the North side, is of Creplegate Ward.
from over-against
the west end of Saint Laurence
Church
to the Pumpe, & then up Milk-
street
, South unto Cheape, which Milk-
street
is wholly (on both the sides) of Cre-
plegate
Ward
, as also without the South
end of Milkstreet, a part of West Cheape,
to wit, from the Standard to the Crosse,
is all of Creplegate Ward. Then downe
great Woodstreete, which is wholly of
this VVard on both the sides thereof;
so it little Woodstreete, which runneth
downe to Creplegate.
Out of this Woodstreete be divers lanes;
namely, on the East side is Lad lane,
which runneth East to Milkstreete cor-
ner; downe lower in Woodstreete is Love
lane
, which lyeth by the South side of
S. Albans Church in Woodstreet, and run-
neth down to the Conduit in Alderman-
bury streete
. Lower downe in Wood-
streete
, is Addlestreete, out of the which
runneth Philip lane downe to London
VVall
. These be the Lanes on the East
side.
On the west side of Woodstreete, is
Huggen lane, by the South side of S. Mi-
chaels
Church
, and goeth thorow to Gu-
therous lane
. Then lower is Maiden lane,
which runneth VVest to the North end
of Gutherons lane, and up the said Lane
on the East side thereof, till against
Kery lane, and backe againe: then the
said Maiden Lane, on the North side, go-
eth up to Staining lane, and up a part
thereof on the East side, to the farthest
North part of Haberdashers Hall; and
backe againe to Woodstreete, and there
lower downe is Silverstreete, which is
of this VVard, till yee come to the East
end of St. Olaves Church on the South
side, and to Monkes-well streete on the
North side; then down the said Monkes-
well streete
on the East side thereof, and
so to Creplegate, doe make the bounds
of this VVard within the wals.
Without Creplegate, Forestreete run-
neth thwart before the Gate, from a-
gainst the North side of Saint Giles
Church
, along to More lane end, and to a
Posterne lane end, that runneth betwixt
the Towne ditch on the South, and cer-
taine Gardens on the North, almost to
Moregate; at the East end of which lane
is a Pot-makers house, which house,
with all other the Gardens, Houses, and
Allies on that side to More-fields, till
yee come to a Bridge and Cow-house,
neere unto Fensbury Court, is all of Cre-
plegate
VVard
.
Of these More-fields you have former-
ly read,
An. 1477. Rose Ioccline then being L. Maior.
what a moorish rotten ground
they were, unpassable, but for Caws-
waies purposely made to that intent;
what they were also in our owne neerer
times of memory, even till Sir Leonard
Dd

Hallyday was Lord Maior of London, I
am very well assured many doe perfect-
ly remember: And what they are now
at this instant, by the honourable cost
and care of this City, and the industri-
ous paines and diligence of that worthy
Citizen, Master Leate, wee all (to our
continuall comfort) doe evidently be-
hold. M. Iohn Speed, my especiall kinde
friend; acquainted me with the draught
of a Mappe, done after that true shape
and modell, as at the first (by the fore-
named Gentleman) they were inten-
ded, and laboured with the then Lord
Maior, and Court of Aldermen, that the
same might have bin accordingly effe-
cted. But how it was prevented, I know
not, only I purposed to have beene at so
much charge, as to have had that Map
(in some apt & convenient forme) prin-
ted in this booke: but that I could not
attaine thereto; being promised, that at
the next impression I shall have it.
For the Walkes themselves, and con-
tinuall care of the City, to have them
in that comely & worthy maner main-
tained: I am certainly perswaded, that
our thankfulnesse to God being first
truely performed, they are no meane
cause of preserving health and whole-
some ayre to the City, and such an eter-
nall honour thereto, as no iniquity of
time shall ever be able to deface.
Then to turne backe againe through
the said Posterne lane to More lane,
which More lane, with all the Allies and
buildings there, is of this Ward. After
that is Grubstreete, more than halfe
thereof to the streightning of the street,
next is White-crosse street, up to the end
of Beech lane; and then Red-crosse street
wholly, with a part of Golding lane, even
to the Posts there placed, as a bounder.
Then is Beech lane before spoken of,
the East side of the Red-crosse, and the
Barbican streete, more than halfe there-
of, toward Aldersgate street, and so have
you all the bounds of Creplegate VVard
without the wals.
Now for Antiquities and Ornaments
in this Ward, to be noted: I finde, first
at the meeting of the corners of the Old
Iury
,
A Pumpe at the cor-
ner of Al-
derman-bury
street
.
Milkstreet, Lad lane, and Alderman
bury
, there was (of old time) a faire
Well with two Buckets, of late yeeres
converted to a Pumpe. How Alderman
bury streete
took that name, many fables
have been bruted, all which I overpasse,
as not worthy the counting: but to bee
short, I say, this streete tooke the name
of Aldermans bury (which is to say, a
Court) there kept in their Bery, or Court
Hall, now called the Guild Hall, which
Hall (of old time) stood on the East side
of the same street, not far from the West
end of Guild Hall now used.
Touching the Antiquity of this old
Aldermans bury or Court1, I have not
read other, than that Richard Renery, one
of the Sheriffes of London, in the first of
Richard the first
, which was in the yeere
of Christ, 1189. gave to the Church or
Saint Mary at Osney by Oxford, certaine
ground and rents in Alderman bury of
London, as appeareth by the Register of
that Church, as is also entred into the
Hoistings of the Guild Hall in London.
This old Bery, Court, or Hall conti-
nued, and the Courts of the Maior
& Aldermen
were continually holden
there, untill the new Bery, Court, or
Guild hall that now is, was builded & fi-
nished, which Hall was first begun to be
founded in the yeere 1411. and was not
fully finished in 20. yeers after. I my self
have seene the ruines of the old Court
Hall, in Alderman-bury streete, which of
late hath beene imployed as a Carpen-
ters yard, &c.
In this Alderman-bury street be divers
faire houses on both the sides, meete for
Merchants or men of worship, & in the
midst therof is a faire Conduit, made at
the charges of W. Eastfield, sometime
Maior, who took order as well for water
to be conveyed from Teyborne, & for the
building of this Conduit, not far distant
from his dwelling house; as also for a
Standard of sweet water to be erected in
Fleetstreet, all which was done by his Ex-
ecutors, as elsewhere is shewed.
Then is the Parish Church of S. Mary
Aldermanbury
, a faire Church, with a
Church-yard & Cloister adjoyning, in
the which Cloister is hanged & fastned
a shanke-bone of a man (as is said) very
great,
Shanke-
bone of a man 28. inches & a halfe long.
and larger by 3. inches & a halfe,
than that which hangeth in S. Laurence
Church in the Iurie
; for it is in length
28. inches and a halfe of assise, but not
so hard and steely, like as the other, for
the same is light, and somewhat pory
and


and spongy. This bone is said to bee
found amongst the bones of men remo-
ved from the Charnell house of Pauls,
or rather from the Cloyster of Pauls
Church
: of both which reports I doubt,
for that the late Reyne Wolfe,
Reyne Wolfe a grave Antiqua-
ry, colle-
cted the great Chroni-
cles, in-
creased, & published by his Ex-
ecutors, under the name of Ralph Ho-
lenshead
.
Stationer
(who payd for the carriage of those
bones from the Charnell to the More-
fields
) told mee of some thousands of
Carre loads and more to bee conveyed,
whereof he wondred; but never told of
any such bone in either place to bee
found, neither would the same have bin
easily gotten from him, if he had heard
thereof, except he had reserved the like
for himself, being the greatest preserver
of antiquities in those parts for his time.
True it is, that this bone (from whence
soever it came) being of a man, as the
forme sheweth) must needes bee mon-
strous, and more than after the propor-
tion of five shanke bones of any man
now living amongst us. There lye buri-
ed in this Church Simon Winehcombe, E-
squire, 1391. Robert Combarton, 1422.
Iohn Wheatly
, Mercer, 1428. Sir Willi-
am Estfild
, Knight of the Bath, Maior,
1438. a great Benefactor to that
Church, under a faire Monument: he al-
so builded their steeple, changed their
old Bels into 5. tuneable Bels, and gave
100. l. to other workes of that Church.
Moreover, he caused the Conduit in
Aldermanbury
, which he had begun, to
be performed at his charges, and water
to be conveyed by pipes of Lead, from
Teyborne to Fleetstreete, as I have said.
And also from High Bery, to the parish
of S. Giles without Creplegate, where the
Inhabitants of those parts incastellated
the same in sufficient Cisternes. Iohn
Middleton
, Mercer, Maior, 1472. Iohn
Tomes
, Draper, 1486. William Bucke,
Taylor, 1501. Sir William Browne, Mai-
or, 1507. Dame Margaret Ienings, wife
to Stephen Ienings, Maior, 1515. A Wi-
dow, named Starkey, sometime wife to
Mody. Ralph Woodcocke, Grocer, one of
the Sheriffes, 1586. Dame Mary Gre-
sham
, wife to Sir Iohn Gresham, 1528.
Thomas Godfrey
, Remembrancer of the
Office of the First fruits.
Thomas Digges, Esquire, sonne and heyre
of Leonard Digges, of Wotton, in the
County of Kent, Esquire, & of Bridget
his wife, daughter to Thomas Wil-
ford
, Esquire, which Thomas deceased
the 24. day of August, An. Dom. 1595.
Agnes,
A faire Tombe in the North side of the Chancell.
wife to Thomas Digges, Esquire,
daughter of Sir William Sentleger,
Knight, and of Vrsula his wife, daughter
of George Nevil, Lord of Aburgave-
ny
, by whom the said Thomas had is-
sue, Dudley, his sonne and heyre; Leo-
nard
, his second son; Margaret and Vr-
sula
, now living, beside VVilliam and
Mary, who died young.
Deo Opt. Max. & memoriae.
Hic resurrectionem mortuorum expe-
ctat Thomas Digsaeus, Armiger, ex
Antiqua Digsaeorum in Cantia Fa-
milia oriundus, vir fide & pietate in
Deum singulari, rei militaris admo-
dum peritus, optimarum literarum
studiosus, & scientiis Mathematicis
ad miraculum (ut ex libris editis
constat) eruditissimus: Quem Deus
in Coelestem Patriam, Anno salutis,
1595. evocavit: charissimo Marito
Vxor moestissima posuit.
Here lieth in an assured hope to rise in
Christ, Thomas Digges, Esquire, some-
time Muster-Master of the English Ar-
my in the Low-Countries: A man zea-
lously affected to true Religion, wise, dis-
creete, courteous, faithfull to his friends,
and of rare knowledge in Geometry, A-
strologie, and other Mathematicall scien-
ces: who finished this transitory life with
a happy end, in Anno 1595.
That the dead might live,
Christ dyed.
Here lieth buried,
A plated stone by the Com-
munion Table.
Elizabeth Norreis,
daughter of the right Honourable Sir
Henry Norreis
, Knight, Lord Norreis
of Ricot, who deceased the 18. day of A-
pril, 1574
.
Armig. hic Jon. Constantinus positus;
A marvel-
lous anci-
ent plated stone.
genetrici subjacet; aeternè laetenur
in arce polorum. Qui Februo cessit.
Mil. 1. Cent. quatuor bis & octo.
Here lieth entombed,
A very faire Tombe in the South side of the Quire.
Ralph Woodcock,
Grocer and Alderman of London, who
departed this life the first day of Septem-
ber, 1586
. aged, 67. yeeres. Hee had
foure wives, Helen Collier, by whom
he had five sonne and three daughters.
Dd2
Good

Good Bower, by whom he had ten sons
and five daughters. Elenor Carew, by
whom he had one daughter. And Mary
Lovyson
, by whom he had no issue.
Elizabeth,
A faire plated stone by the Com-
munion Table.
whose
husband Davy hight,
Lyeth buried here till
time the Trumpet blow:
But sure the heavens
possesse her sacred spright,
Her vertuous life and
godly end did show.
And they that knew her
pathes of perfect love,
The sundry gifts that
garnished her life,
Can witnesse well, and
by her end approve,
There seldome hath been
seene a better wife.
Give God the praise for
such her happy race:
And pray, that we
like vertues may embrace.
She died the 12. day of August,
1569
.
Beneath this Church have ye Gay-spur
lane
, which runneth down to London
Wall
,
Priory or Hospitall called, El-
sing Spittle
.
as is afore shewed. In this lane, at
the North end thereof, was (of old
time) a house of Nuns, which house be-
ing in great decay, Wil. Elsing, Mercer, in
the yeere of Christ, 1329. the 3. of Ed-
ward
the 3
. began in place thereof the
foundation of an Hospitall, for sustenta-
tion of 100. blind men. Towards the e-
rection whereof, he gave his 2. houses in
the Parishes of S. Alphage, & our blessed
Lady in Aldermanbury
, neere Creplegate.
This house was after called a Priory
or Hospital of S. Mary the Virgin
, foun-
ded in the yeere 1332. by W. Elsing, for
Canons regular: the which W. became
the first Prior there. Robert Elsing, son to
the said W. gave to the said Hospitall,
12. l. by the yeere, for the finding of 3.
Priests, he also gave 100. s. towards the
inclosing of the new Church-yard with-
out Ealdgate:
Charter-house Church-yard with-
out Alders-
gate
, and one other the like without Ealdgate.
and 100. s. to the inclo-
sing of the new Church-yard without
Aldersgate: to Tho. Elsing his son, 80. l.
the rest of his goods to be sold, and gi-
ven to the poore. This house valued,
193. l. 15. s. 5. d. was surrendred the
eleventh of May, the 22. of Henry the 8.
A briefe remembrance of SYON
Colledge, in the Parish of Saint
Alphage
.
IN the same place where the foresaid
Elsing Spittle and Priory were for-
merly situated;
A Col-
ledge for the Cler-
gy of Lon-
don
.
there is now newly
erected a Colledge for the Clergy of
London, and liberties thereof, called by
the name of Syon Colledge: And Almes-houses
for twenty poore people, ten
men, and ten women.
This was done by the especiall care
and paines of M. Iohn Simson, Rector of
S. Olaves Hartstreet London, one of the
Executors of the last Will and Testa-
ment of M. Thomas White,
Doctor White of S. Dunstanes in the West.
Doctor in Di-
vinity, Vicar of S. Dunstanes in the west,
and one of the Canons Residentiary of
S. Pauls Church London: which forena-
med Thomas White (besides sundry sums
of mony, and great yeerly revenues gi-
ven by him to pious and charitable uses
in divers places) gave 3000. l. to pur-
chase and build the foresaid Colledge
for the use of the Clergy, and Almes-houses
for the 20. poor people aforesaid.
He also gave unto the said Colledge
and Almes-houses 160. l. per annum for
ever,
An hun-
dred and three-
score pounds yeerly al-
lowed.
whereof there is 120. l. yeerly al-
lowed for the maintenance of the poore
Almes-men & women. And 40. l. yeer-
ly for 4. dinners for the Clergy, who are
to have 4. Latine Sermons in the yeere;
one every quarter, and upon these daies
are to dine together in the Colledge.
In the same Colledge the aforenamed
Iohn Simson did in his life time at his
owne proper costs and charges build a
very faire and spacious Library,
A faire & goodly Library in Syon Col-
ledge
.
contai-
ning 121. foote in length, within the
wals, & above 25. foot in breadth. And
hath furnished it with wainscot, stalls,
deskes, seates, and other necessary and
usefull ornaments befieting the place.
He likewise at his cost and charges e-
rected the new building adjoyning to
the Library,
A new building joyned to the Library.
all along the Southside of
the Colledge Court, for lodging for
the Governours, or others at their ap-
pointment.
to this Library there have beene al-
ready divers bountfull and well dispo-
sed Benefactors,
Liberall Benefac-
tors to the Library, & their gift.
who have given large
summes of money towards the furni-
shing of it with bookes.
The


The right Honourable Paul, Lord
Viscount Bayning
, gave fifty pounds.
The right Honourable Anne, Vicoun-
tesse Bayning
, his wife, gave 50. l.
Sir George Croke, Knight, one of his
Majesties Iustices of his Pleas before
him assigned to be holden, gave 100. l.
Rebecca, Lady Rumney, widow to Sir
William Rumney
, late Alderman of Lon-
don
, gave 100. l.
M. Thomas Gonnell, late Citizen and
Merchant-Adventurer of London, gave
by his Will 100. l.
M. Iohn Greenough, late Citizen and
Woolman of London, gave by his Will
fifty pounds.
M. Robert Parkhurst, Citizen and Al-
derman of London, gave fifty pounds.
Besides divers others; whose names,
legacies, gifts, and bookes bought there-
with: are (by way of a gratefull memo-
riall) registred in a faire Booke kept in
the Library.
The Monuments that were in this
Church defaced
, Thomas Cheney, son to
William Cheney, Thomas, Iohn, and Wil-
liam Cheney, Iohn Northampton, Draper,
Maior, 1381
. Edmond Hungerford, Hen-
rie Frowike
, Ioane, daughter to Sir Wil-
liam Cheney
, wife to William Stokes, Ro-
bert Edarbroke
, Esquire, 1460. Dame
Ioane Ratcliffe, William Fowler, William
Kingston
, Thomas Swineley, and Helen
his wife, &c.
The principall Ile of this Church, to-
wards the North, was pulled downe, &
a frame of foure houses set up in place:
the other part from the steeple upward,
was converted into a Parish Church of
S. Alphage
, & the Parish Church which
stood neere unto the VVall of the City
by Creplegate, was pulled downe, the
plot thereof made a Carpenters yard,
with saw-pits.
The Hospitall it selfe, the Prior, and
Canons house, with other Lodgings,
were made a dwelling house, the
Church-yard is a Garden plot, and a
faire Gallery on the Cloyster: the lodg-
ings for the poore are translated into
stabling for horses.
In the yeere 1541. Sir Iohn Williams,
Master of the Kings Jewels, dwelling in
this house, on Christmas Even at night,
about seven of the clocke, a great fire
began in the Gallery thereof, which
burned so sore, that the flame firing
the whole house, and consuming it, was
seene all the City over, and was hardly
quenched; whereby many of the Kings
Iewels were burned, and more imbesel-
led (as was said.)
Sir Rowland Hayward, Maior, dwel-
led in this Spittle, & was buried there,
1593. Richard Lee, alias, Clarenciaulx,
King of Armes, 1597.
Here lieth the body of Sir Rowland Hay-
ward
,
A very goodly Monumēt in the wall of the Quire on the South side.
Knight, twice Lord Maior of this
City of London, and living an Alder-
man the space of 30. yeeres, and (at his
death) the ancientest Alderman of the
said City. He lived beloved of all good
men, and died (in great credit and repu-
tation) the fifth day of December, Ann.
Dom. 1593
. And the 36. yeere of the
reigne of our Soveraigne Lady Queene
Elizabeth
. He had two vertuous wives,
and by them many happy children.
Ioane, daughter of William Tillesworth,
Esquire, was the first wife to Sir Row-
land Hayward
, by whom he had issue,
3. sons and 5. daughters, which 3. sons,
and 2. of the daughters died in their in-
fancy. The eldest of the surviving daugh-
ters, named Elizabeth, was first mar-
ried to Richard VVaren, Esquire, and
(after his decease) to Thomas Knevet,
Esquire, one of her Majesties Privie
Chamber. Susanna, the second daugh-
ter, was married to Henry Townsend,
Esquire. Ioane the third daughter, was
married to Iohn Thinne, Esquire.
Katharine, the second wife of Sir Rowland
Hayward
, was daughter to Thomas
Smith
, Esquire, by whom hee had like-
wise issue three sons and five daughters,
whereof one sonne and one daughter died
infants. The two sons and foure daugh-
ters yet living, are George, Iohn, A-
lice
, Katharine, Mary
, and Anne, all
young, and unmarried at their fathers
death.
Decus vitae, est honorata Mors.
This Tombe was erected by the appointment
of Edward Pilsworth, and VVilliam
Cotton
, Citizens of London, and
Executors of the said Sir
Rowland
.
Dd3
Here


Here lieth buried under this stone the body
of Robert Hodgson,
A Grave-
stone at the en-
trance in-
to the Quire doore.
Esquire, one of
the Auditors of the Queenes Majesties
Court of Exchequer, who died the 26.
day of May, in the yeere of our Lord
1577
.
Now to returne to Milkestreet, so cal-
led of milke sold there, there bee many
faire houses for wealthy Merchants and
other: among the which I reade, that
Gregory Rokesley,
Gregory Ro-
kesley
, Mai-
or of Lon-
don
, his house rent 20. shil-
lings the yeere.
Maior of London, in the
yeere 1275. dwelled in this Milkstreete,
in an house belonging to the Priory of
Lewes in Sussex, whereof he was Tenant
at will, paying 20. s. by the yeere with-
out other charge: such were the rents
of those times.
In this Milkestreete, is a small Parish
Church of Saint Mary Magdalen, which
hath of late yeeres been repaired: Wil-
liam Browne
, Maior, 1513. gave to this
Church forty pounds, and was buried
there. Thomas Exmew, Maior, 1528.
gave forty pounds, and was buried
there: so was Iohn Milford, one of the
Sheriffes, 1375. Iohn Olney, Maior,
1475. Richard Rawson, one of the She-
riffes, 1476. Henry Kelsey. Sir Iohn
Browne
, Maior, 1497. Thomas Mus-
champe
, one of the Sheriffes, 1463. Sir
William Cantilow
, Knight, Mercer,
1462. Henry Cantilow, Mercer, Mer-
chant of the Staple, who builded a
Chappell, and was buried there, 1495.
Iohn West, Alderman, 1517. Iohn Ma-
chel
, Alderman, 1558.
Thomas Skinner, Clothworker, Mai-
or, 1596.
Here lieth the corps of Thomas Skinner,
late Citizen and Alderman of London,
A comely Monumēt in the South Ile of the Quire.

borne at Saffron Walden in Essex,
who in the 63. yeere of his age, and on the
5. day of December, Anno Dom. 1596.
being then Lord Maior of this City, de-
parted this life, leaving behind him three
sonnes, Iohn, Thomas, and Richard:
and three daughters, Aunc, Iulian, and
Elizabeth.
Here lieth interred the body of Mistresse
Mary Collet, wife of M. John Collet,
Citizen and Salter of London, who de-
ceased the 22. of December, An. Dom.
1613
. being aged 35. yeeres.
This Marble witnesse,
A faire Stone in the same Ile before the Monu-
ment fore-
named.
dew-dropt with the eies
Of grived Niobe, tels
thee, that here lies
Her second husband joy,
her first content,
Her parents comfort,
her friends ornament,
Her neighbours welcome,
her deare kinreds losse,
Her owne health’s foe,
deeming all pleasure drosse,
The world a layle, whence,
through much paine we see
Her soule at length
hath purchast liberty;
And soar’d on high where
here Redeemer lives:
Who (for her torment)
rest and glory gives.
Here lie the bodies of Gerard Gore,
A comely Tombe in the Chan-
cell, by a-
nother much more an-
cient Tombe of Henry Can-
tilowe
.
Citi-
zen, Merchant-Taylor, and Alderman
of London, and of Helen his wife: who
lived together married 57. yeeres. The
said Gerard died the 11. day of Decem-
ber, 1607
. in the 91. yeere of his age.
And shee departed this life the 13. day
of February
, in the foresaid yeere, being
75. yeeres old.
Here lyeth the body of Thom. Henshawe,
A faire Stone at the en-
trance in-
to the Quire.

Citizen and Merchant-Taylor of Lon-
don
, who had to wife Flower Hen-
shawe
, and had issue by her 9. sons, and
4. daughters. He deceased the 11. day of
Ianuary, 1611
. aged, 76. yeeres: and she
died the 6. of March, 1615. aged, about
60. yeeres.
Here lieth the body of sir William Stone,
A very faire Mo-
nument in the Chan-
cell on the North side.

Knight, free of the Clothworkers and
Turkie Companies, sometime Alderman
of this City. He was the sonne of Rey-
nold Stone
, Citizen and Fishmonger of
London. The said Sir VVilliam depar-
ted this life the 14. of September, 1609.
aged, 63. yeeres, &c.
As the Earth, the
Earth doth cover,
So under this stone
lyes another.
who long deceased,
Ere the worlds love
him released,
So


So much it lov’d him.
For they say,
He answered death
before his day,
But ’tis not so:
for he was sought
Of one that both him
made and bought.
He remain’d
the great Lords treasure,
Who called for him
at his pleasure,
And receiv’d him.
Yet be’it said,
Earth griev’d that heaven
so soone was paid.
Here likewise lyes
inhumed in one bed,
the welbeloved wife
Of this remembred Knight:
whose soules are fled
From this dimme Vale,
to everlasting life.
Where no more change,
nor no more separation
Shall make them flye
from their blest habitation.
Grasse of levitie,
Span in brevity,
Flowers felicity,
Fire of misery,
Winds stability
Is mortality.
Their Riches were
like corne lent to the field,
What it receiv’d
it manifold did yeeld.
Their bodies have a grave
their vertues none,
But shall with time grow greene,
when they are gone.
Stone walls, brasse Towers,
decay as flowers:
One gone, their good
is, Lo, here they stood.
So transitory
is our glory.
This Stone,
A comely Monumēt in the east end of the South Ile.
this Verse,
two Mountfords doe present,
The corps of one,
the others Monument:
Two lovely brethren,
by their vertues knowne,
Whom Cambridge, and
Kings Colledge cal’d their owne.
of which worthy paire,
The first imployed
by Sea in great affaire,
Made Heaven his Haven,
and at that Port, the other
(By land) did overtake
his elder Brother.
So now the bones
of both are laid asleepe,
These in this Church,
those in the Easterne Deepe:
Till all the dead
shall wake from Sea and Land,
Before the Iudge
of quicke and dead to stand.
Amen.
We sonne-lesse parents,
yet not childlesse left,
Bewaile (as men)
our seed untimely reft.
As Christians, we hope,
and joy, and say;
Heaven is our home,
and thither, Death the way.
By Sea or Land,
it skils not, so we minde
The Faithfull Pilgrims
narrow path to finde.
  • Mort. Osbert, Mense Decemb. 1614.
  • Mort. Richard, Mense Ian. 1615.
Then next is Woodstreet, by what rea-
son so called, I know not; true it is,
that (of old time) according to a De-
cree made in the reigne of Richard the
first
, the houses in London were builded
of stone, for defence of fire, which kind
of building was used for two hundred
yeeres or more; but of later time, for
the winning of ground, taken downe,
and houses of timber were set up in
place. It seemeth therefore, that this
street hath beene of the later building,
all of timber, (for not one house of stone
hath beene knowne there) and there-
fore called Woodstreet; otherwise it
might take the name of some builder
or owner thereof.
Tho. Wood, one of the Sheriffes, in
the


the yeere 1491. dwelled there: he was
an especiall Benefactor towards the
building of S. Peters Church at Wood-
street
end
, which is called Gold-smiths
row
, garnished with the likenesse of
Wood-men: his predecessors might be
the first builders, owners and namers of
this street, after their owne name.
On the East side of this street is one
of the Prison houses, pertaining to the
Sheriffes of London, and is called the
Compter in Woodstreet, which was prepa-
red to be a prison-house, in the yeere
1555. and on the Eve of S. Michael the
Archangell, the prisoners that lay in
the Compter in Breadstreet, were remo-
ved to this Compter in Woodstreet. Be-
neath this Compter is Lad Lane,
Ladle lane, corruptly called Lad lane.
or La-
dle Hall
; for so I find it of Record, in the
Parish of Saint Michael Woodstreet, and
beneath that is Love Lane, so called of
wantons.
By this Lane is the ancient Parish
Church of S. Albans
. One note of the
great antiquity of it, is the name: by
which it was at first dedicated to Saint
Albane
, the first Martyr of England. An-
other character of the antiquity of it,
is to be seene in the manner of the tur-
ning of the Arches in the windowes,
and heads of the Pillars. A third note
appeares in the Romane bricks, here and
there inlayed amongst the stones of the
building. Very probable it is, that this
Church is at least of as ancient a stan-
ding, as King Adelstane the Saxon, who,
as the Tradition sayes, had his house at
the East end of this Church. This Kings
house having a doore also into Adel-
street
, in this Parish, gave name, as ’tis
thought, unto the said Adel-street: which
in all Evidences to this day, is written
King-Adelstreet. One great square Tow-
er of this Kings house seemes yet re-
maining: to be seene at the North cor-
ner of Love Lane, as you come from Al-
derman-bury
: which Tower is of the ve-
ry same stone and manner of building
with S. Albanes Church. This Church,
decayed with meere age, is this yeere
beginning to be taken downe, and to be
new builded.
It hath the Monuments of Sir Rich.
Illingworth
, Baron of the Exchequer,
Thomas Catworth, Grocer, Maior, 1443.
Iohn Woodcocke, Maior, 1405. Iohn Collet
and Alice his wife: Ralph Thomas, Ralph
and Richard, sonnes of Ralph Illingworth,
which was sonne to Richard Illingworth,
Baron of the Exchequer. Thomas, sonne
of Thomas Fitzwilliams; Thomas Halton,
Mercer, Maior, 1550. Thomas Ostrich,
Haberdasher, 1483. Richard Swetenham
Esquire; and William Dunthorne, Town-Clerke
of London, with this Epitaph:
Faelix prima dies
postquam mortalibus aevi,
Cesserit, hic morbus
subit, atq, repentè senectus,
Tum mors qua nostrum
Dunthorn cecidisse Wilelmum,
Haud cuiquam latuisse
reor, dignissimus (inquam,)
Artibus hic Doctor,
necnon celeberrimus hujus
Clericus Vrbis erat
primus, nulli{que} secundus,
Moribus, ingenio,
studio, nil dixeris illi,
Quin dederit natura
boni, pius ipse modestus,
Longanimus, solis
patiens, super omnia gratus,
Quique sub immensas
curas variosque labores,
Anxius atteritur vitae,
dum carpserit auras,
Hoc tetro in tumulo,
compostus pace quiescit.
Simon Morsted, Thomas Pikehurst, E-
squire
, Richard Take, Robert Ashcombe,
Thomas Lovet, Esquire, Sheriffe of Nor-
thamptonshire, 1491. Iohn Spoore, 1429.
Katharine, daughter to Sir The Mirley,
Knight, William Linchlade, Mercer, 1392.
Iohn Penny, Mercer, 1450. Iohn Thomas,
Mercer, 1485. Christopher Hawse, Mer-
cer, one of the Sheriffes, 1503
. William
Sharborough, Vintner, Simon de Berching.
Sir Iohn Cheke, Knight, Schoole-master
to King
Edward the 6. deceased, 1557.
doth lye here
.
Hunc posuit Tumulum
frater,
A Monu-
ment in the East end of the Chancell.
superaddidit illi
Triste Nepos Carmen;
dignus utroque fuit.
Cur Tumulum? justo
ne funus honore careret.
Cur Carmen? laudes
ne tegerentur humo.
Vita


Vita pia, & foelix mors,
vitam morte prehendunt,
Et pensant-Coeli
munere, damna soli.
Here lyeth buried M. Albayne Hill, Do-
ctor of Physicke, who dyed the 26. day of
December, An. Dom. 1559.
Here also lyeth buried Mistris Alice Hill,
A monu-
ment in the South wall of the Chappell.

sometime wife to the said M. Dr. Hill:
who dyed the last day of May, An. Dom.
1508
.
Ethelreda White,
An anciēt plate fixed in the wall of the North Chappell.
quondam uxor Henrici
White, Armigeri, & unius filiarum &
haeredum Roberti Frother, Aldermanni
London. Quae quidem Ethelreda obiit in
vigilia S. Iohan. Baptist. An. Regis Hen-
rici 8. 26. An. Dom. 1534.
The 13. day of September,
A faire plated Grave-
stone in the North Chappell of the Quire.
1557.
Doctrinae tamen
Chekus uter{que} Magister,
Aurea naturae
sabrica morre jacer.
Non erat è multis
unus, sed praestitir unus
Omnibus & Patriae
flos erat ille suae:
Gemma Britanna fuit,
tam magnum nulla tulerunt
Tempora Thesaurum,
tempora nulla ferent.
Hic jacet Benedictus Trotter,
A grave-
stone in same Chappell.
nuper Civis,
& Grocerus London, Mercator Stapulae
villae Caliciae. Qui obiit ultimo die Men-
sis Octobris, 1496. Cujus, &c.
Hic jacet Willielmus Hinchlade,
A faire plated stone by the Com-
munion Table.
quondam
Civis & Mercerus London. Qui obiit
9. die Ianuarii, An. Dom. 1392. Et
Alicia uxor ejus. Quorum, &c.
Of William Wilson,
A faire plated stone in the body of the Church.
Ioane his wife,
and Alice their daughter deare,
These lines be left to give report,
these three lye buried here;
And Alice was Henry Decons wife,
which Henry lives on earth,
And is the Serjeant Plummer unto
Queene ELIZABETH.
With whom this Alice left issue here,
her vertuous daughter Iane,
To be his comfort every where,
now joyfull Alice is gone.
And for these three departed soules,
gone up to joyfull blisse;
Th’ Almighty praise be given to God,
to whom the glory is.
Alice dyed, the eleventh day of March,
1572.
Ad sacros cineres,
A small Monumēt on a pillar in the middle Ile.
& piam memoriam Al-
leni Downer, Civis London, è libertate
Potifica, & aetate & officio aliquando se-
nioris, & Mariae Vxoris Parentum in-
tegritate quadrata, Thomas Filius unus,
& uncus superstes, ultimum hoc pli &
filialis amoris testamentum assert.
Si vere dicunt
monumenta monentia mentes,
Mille mihi monumenta
pii posuēre parentes.
Ingratus ne sim
monumento hoc miile rependo.
Vpon the Wall by the North doore,
a faire Monument in stone, with these
inscriptions:
Misericordiam Dei per Jesum Chri-
stum obtinuimus.
Here lye the bodies of Anne, the wife of
Laurence Gibson, Gent. and of their
three sonnes. She was a most faithfull and
loving wife, and a right-religious, wise,
vertuous and modest woman, and adorned
with many other such excellent and com-
mendable gifts and qualities, that she is
worthy of perpetuall memory. She was of
the ancient Family of the Bamfords in
Lincolnshire: and the 29. day of De-
cember, 1611. she patiently and Christi-
anly ended this mortall life.
Spe resurgendi ad vitam aeternam
requiescimus.
Hoc moestissimus ejus maritus, in piam me-
moriam Vxoris suae, talis, tam{que} charis-
simae construi fecit: eundem{que} hic cum
illa esse sepulturum sperat & exoptat.
In Christo filii sumus Dei, & haere-
des aeternae vicae.
Mentis vis magna.
What, is she dead?
doth he survive?
No: both are dead,
and both alive.
She


She lives, hee’s dead,
by love, though grieving,
In him, for her,
yet dead, yet living.
Both dead, and living?
then what is gone?
One halfe of both,
not any one.
One mind, one Faith,
one hope, one Grave,
In life, in death,
they had, and still they have.
Amor conjugalis aeternus.
Hic jacet in requiem
Woodcocke Iohn,
An Anci-
ent Tomb in the Chancell, lately in-
truded on with new Pewes.
vir Generosus,
Maior Londiniae,
Mercerus, valdè morosus.
Hic jacet Tom Shot-hose,
sine Tombe, sine Sheets, sine Riches,
Qui vixit sine Gowne,
sine Cloake, sine Shirt, sine Breeches.
In the Vestrie South Window, there
is the figure of Thomas Heritagh, in a red
Mantle: Right before him in another
pane is the Mercers Armes, of which
Company (it seemes) he was free. This
man was the builder of this Vestry-house.
At the East end of the Chancell, on
the right hand, is a faire Monument,
with this inscription:
To the sacred Memory of Thomas Shelly,
eldest sonne and heire of Henry Shelly
of Patcham in the Country of Sussex,
Esquire, departed this life the second day
of Decemb. 1620. being 23. yeeres of
age: by his most sorrowfull wife, Mary
Shelly
, eldest daughter of Thomas Ste-
phens
of the middle Temple, Esquire,
Atturney Generall to Prince Henry.
If Youth, Religion,
Vertue, and the rest
Of Graces that
in fraile Man are the best,
Could have conser’d long life,
this Funerall Verse
Had not so soone
beene offered at thy Herse
By thy sad Widdow:
whose Fate did allow
Her onely three weeks
happinesse, to know
How good thou wert:
and what remaines of life,
To her yeelds sorrow:
she was once a wife
To such an husband,
whose like ’twere in vaine,
And flattery to her griefe,
to hope againe.
But thou wert flesh,
and that to earth must turne,
Thy pure soule blest;
she onely left to mourne.
Adjoyning to this on the right hand,
is a faire Marble Monument in Ovall:
Deo Trino & Vno opt. max.
sacrum, ac
Aeternae Memoriae ornatissimae & lauda-
tissimae feminae, Annae Walleriae in
Icenis oriundae, unius at{que} unicae paren-
tum prolis; Ingenio, Genio & Genere
conspicuae: Guilielmi Waadi, Regii Con-
sistorii sanctioris{que} Concilii Serenissimae
Heroinae, Dominae Elizabethae, Angliae,
&c. Reginae, à secretis.
Conjugis,
Quae annos enata Xix. in puerperio, 10.
Calendas Septembris, Anno Salutis Ie-
su merito restitutae, M.D.XIC. ex
hac peritura ad perennam vitam emigra-
vit.
Cui
Placidè in Christo gentis humanae sospita-
tore obdormienti, hoc mortale immorta-
lis amoris Monumentum Conjux moe-
stissimus posuit.
On the South side of the Church, on
the wall adjoyning to the Vestry, is an
ancient Monument, in the memory of
Christopher Hawes, Mercer and Alder-
man of London, who dyed the 25. of O-
ctober, 1508
. and is interred in a Vault
under the foundation of the Church.
Then is Adle street, in old Evidences
written King-Adel-street; and so cal-
led from King Adel stane the Saxon.
At this present it is replenished with
faire buildings on both fides: Amongst
which, there was sometime the Pinners
Hall
: but that Company being decay-
ed, it is now the Plaisterers Hall.
Not


Not farre from thence is the Brewers
Hall
, a faire house: which Company
of Brewers
was incorporated by King
Henry the sixth
, in the 16. of his reigne;
confirmed by the name of Saint Mary
and Saint Thomas the Martyr, the 19. of
Edward the fourth
.
From the West end of this Adle street,
Little Woodstreet
runneth downe to Cre-
plegate
: and somewhat East (from the
Sunne Taverne, against the wall of the
Citie) is the Curriers Hall.
Now on the West side of Woodstreet
have ye Huggen lane, so called of one
Hugan, that of old time dwelled there.
He was called Hugan in the Lane, as I
have read in the 34. of Edward the first.
This Lane runneth downe by the South
side of S. Michaels Church in Wood-
street
; and so growing very narrow by
meanes of late encrochments, to Guthu-
rons lane
.
The Parish Church of Saint Michael
in Woodstreet
is a proper thing, and late-
ly well repaired. Iohn Iue, Parson of
this Church, Iohn Forster, Goldsmith,
and Peter Fikeldon, Taylor, gave two
Messuages and Shops, with Sollars,
Cellars, and other Edifices, in the same
Parish and street, and in Ladle Lane
to the reparations of the Church,
Chancell, and other workes of charity,
the 16 of Richard the second.
The Monuments here, be of William
Bambrough
, the son of Henry Bambrough
of Shardborough, 1392.
William Turner, Waxe-Chaundler,
1400.
Iohn Peke, Goldsmith, 1441.
VVilliam Taverner, Girdler, 1454.
VVilliam Mancer, Ironmonger, 1465.
Iohn Nash, 1466. with an Epitaph.
Iohn Allen, Timber-monger, 1441.
Iohn Lambard, Draper, Alderman,
one of the Sheriffes of London, who de-
ceased 1554. and was father to William
Lambard
, Esquire, well knowne by sun-
dry learned Bookes that he hath publi-
shed.
Iohn Medley, Chamberlaine of Lon-
don
.
Iohn Marsh, Esquire, Mercer, and
Common Sergeant of London, &c.
Here lyeth Ioh. Blount, Citizen and Cloth-
worker of Lond. eldest son of W. Blount
of Mauggareffield,
A comely small Mo-
nument in the East end of the North Quire, in the wall.
in the County of
Glocest. Esquire, who had to wife Anne
Layton
, of whom he had issue, six sonnes
and eight daughters, and lived together
man and wife nine and twenty yeeres, in
worshipfull and good reputation, and dy-
ed at the age of threescore and three yeers,
the first day of May, 1599.
Here lyeth the body of Nicholas Waren,
A smaller Monumēt in the same Ile and wall.

Citizen and Grocer of London, borne at
Whitby in Yorkshire, who had to wife
Margaret Crome, who lived together
married two and twenty yeeres and ele-
ven moneths. He dyed in joy and peace
of a faithfull confession, the tenth day of
April, 1614
. being about the age of two
and fifty yeeres.
IOB 17. Vers. 5.
My breath is corrupt, my dayes are
cut off, the Grave for me.
The body of William Harvie,
A comely Monumēt in the same wall & Ile.
Citizen and
Grocer of London, and Deputy to the
Alderman of this Ward of Creplegate
within, was buried the twentieth day of
March, Anno Domini, 1597
. of the
age of 68. yeeres. Maudlin, his first wife,
by whom he had issue, foure sonnes and
one daughter, was buried the 16. day of
November, 1581
. Margaret, his se-
cond wife, by whom he had issue, one son,
was buried the 14. of Ianuary, 1593.
Joane, his third wife, survived.
Robert Harvie,
A Memo-
ry on the same Mo-
nument.
his eldest sonne, Citizen
and Grocer of London, was buried in his
Fathers Grave the ninth of November,
1608
. out of his house in the Old Iewry,
being of the age of 47. yeeres, 5. moneths,
and 10. dayes; when he had served his
Prince, Comptroller of the Custome-
house, and Warden of the Grocers. Hee
had to wife Sara Audley, of whom hee
had issue, three sonnes and three daugh-
ters, &c.
There is also (but without any out-
ward Monument) the head of Iames, the
fourth King of Scots of that name; slaine
at Flodden field, and buried here by this
occasion: After the Battell, the body
of the said King being found, was closed
in Lead, and conveyed from thence to
London, and so to the Monastery of
Sheyne in Surrey, where it remained for
a time, in what order I am not certaine.
But since the dissolution of that house,
in the reigne of Edward the sixth, Henry
Gray
, Duke of Suffolke, being lodged
and keeping house there; I have beene
shewed the same body, so lapped in
Lead, close to the head and body,
throwne into a waste roome amougst
the old Timber, Lead, and other rub-
ble. Since the which time, workemen
there (for their foolish pleasure) hewed
off his head: And Launcelot Young, Ma-
ster Glasier to Queene Elizabeth, fee-
ling a sweet savour to come from
thence, and seeing the same dryed from
all moysture, and yet the forme remai-
ning, with the haire of the head and
beard red; brought it to London, to his
house in Woodstreet, where (for a time)
he kept it for the sweetnesse: but in the
end, caused the Sexton of that Church
to burie it amongst other bones, taken
out of their Charnell, &c.
I reade in divers Records, of a house
in Woodstreet, then called Blacke Hall;
but no man at this day can tell thereof.
On the North side of this Saint Mi-
chaels
Church
, is Maiden lane, now so
called, but (of old time) Ingenelane, or
Inglane. In this Lane the Wax-Chan-
dlers
have their Common Hall, on the
South side thereof: and the Haberda-
shers
have their like Hall on the North
side, at Stayning lane end. This Compa-
ny of the Haberdashers
, or Hurrers, of
old time so called, were incorporated a
Brotherhood of S. Katharine,
Record in the Rolles
the 26. of
Henry the 6
. and so confirmed by Henry
the seventh
, the 17. of his reigne; the
Cappers and Hat-merchants, or Hur-
rers
, being one Company of Haberda-
shers
.
Downe lower in Woodstreet is Silver
street
, (I thinke, of Silver-smiths dwel-
ling there) in which bee divers faire
houses.
And on the North side thereof is
Monkes-well street, so called, of a Well
at the North end thereof, where the
Abbot of Garendon had an house or
Cell, called Saint Iames in the Wall by
Creplegate, and certaine Monkes of their
house were the Chaplains there; where-
fore the Well (belonging to that Cell
or Hermitage) was called Monkes-well,
and the street of the Well, Monkes-well
street
. The East side of this street, down
against London wall, and the south side
thereof to Creplegate, bee of Creplegate
Ward
, as is afore shewed.
In this street, by the corner of Monks-well street, is the Bowyers Hall.
On the said East side of Monks-well
street
,
Almes. houses in Monks-well street.
be proper Almes-houses, twelve
in number, founded by Sir Ambrose Ni-
cholas
, Salter, Maior, 1575. wherein
be placed twelve poore and aged people
rent-free, having each of them 7. pence
the weeke, and once the yeere each of
them five sackes of Charcoales, and one
quarter of an hundred of Faggots, of his
gift for ever.
On the North side of the way, tur-
ning towards Creplegate, and even upon,
or close to London Wall, (as it were)
are certaine new-erected Almes-hou-
ses, six in number, of the cost and gift
of Mr. Robert Rogers, Leather-seller, and
very good maintenance allowed (for e-
ver) to such people as are appointed to
dwell in them.
Then, in little VVoodstreet,
Almes. Chambers in little Woodstreet.
bee seven
proper Chambers in an Alley on the
West side, founded for seven poore
people, therein to dwell rent-free, by
Henry Barton, Skinner, Maior, 1516.
Thus much for the Monuments of
this Ward within the Walles.
Now without the Posteme of Creple-
gate
, first is the Parish Church of Saint
Giles
, a very faire and large Church,
lately repaired, after that the same was
burned, in the yeere 1545. the 37. of
Henry the eighth
; by which mischance,
the Monuments of the dead in this
Church are very few. Notwithstanding,
I have read of these following:
Alice, William and Iohn, wife and sons
to T. Clarell.
Agnes, daughter to Thomas Niter, Gen-
tleman.
Felix, daughter to Sir Thomas Gisors,
and wife to Thomas Travars.
Thomas Mason, Esquire.
Edmond Wartar, Esquire.
Ioan, wife to Iohn Chamberlaine, E-
squire, daughter to Roger Lewkner, E-
squire.
Gilbert Prince, Alderman.
Oliver Cherley, Gentleman.
Sir Iohn Wright, or Writhesley, alias
Garter
, King at Armes.
Garter, daughter and heire to Willi-
am Hall
, Esquire.
Iohn Writhesley the yonger, sonne to
Sir Iohn Writhesley and Eleanor.
Eleanor, second wife to Iohn Writhe-
sley
, daughter and heire to Thomas Ar-
nold
, sister and heire to Richard Arnold,
Esquire.
Iohn, her sonne and heire.
Margaret, with her daughter.
Iohn Talbot, Esquire, and Katharine
his wife.
Thomas Warfle, and Isabel his wife.
Thomas Lucie, Gentleman, 1447.
Ralph Rochford, Knight, 1409.
Edmond Watar, Esquire.
Elizabeth, wife to Richard Barnes, si-
ster and heire to Richard Malgrave E-
squire, of Essex.
Richard Govere, and Iohn Govere,
Esquires.
Sir Henry Grey, Knight, son and heire
to George Grey, Earle of Kent, 1562.
Reginald Grey, Earle of Kent.
Richard Choppin, Tallow-Chandler,
one of the Sheriffes, 1530.
Iohn Hamber, Esquire, 1573.
Thomas Busbie, Cooper, who gave
the Queenes head Taverne to the re-
liefe of the poore in the Parish, 1575.
Iohn Wheler, Goldsmith, 1575.
W. Bolene, Physician, 1587.
Robert Crowley, Vicar there, all these
foure under one old stone in the Quire.
The learned Iohn Foxe, Writer of the
Acts and Monuments of the English
Church, 1587.
The skilfull Robert Glover, alias So-
merset
, Herauld, 1588.
Iohannis Hambei,
An anciēt Marble Tombe on the North side of the Chancell.
Armigeri, caro hoc in
Tumulo repulverescet, sicut & Ianae cha-
rissimae Conjugis. Qui dum vixit, Edo-
vardo sexto, Mariae & Elizabethae An-
gliae Regibus, in variis calculorum &
rationum generibus, tam praestitorum
& exterorum, quam decimarum &
primitiarum ratiocinator dignissimus
extiterat. Obiit autem Iohannes 8.
Calend. Aprilis, Anno Salutis à Chri-
sto, 1573. Quem Iana secundo post
Mense insequuta est, 16. scilicet Calend.
Iunii. Quorum spiritus ad Coelum re-
versi reassumptionem carnis expectant.
Francisco Borono, Nobilissimi Mediolanen-
si,
Another faire Mar-
ble Tomb close ad-
joyning.
& Annae Baptistae Boroni uxori, nec-
non & filio; Quorum ossa hoc claudun-
tur Tumulo. Idem Baptista Baronus,
Francisci frater, ac Annae maritus, in e-
orum memoriam hanc posuit scriptionem.
Obiit Franciscus Londinensis, 16. die
Aprilis, Anno Domini, M.D.XXXIII.
Aetatis suae, XXXI. Anna vero
& filius, ultimo die Octobris, M.D.XLVI.
Hic jacet Henricus Giffard, filius tertioge-
nitus Iohannis Giffard,
A small Monumēt at the South wal of the Chancell.
nuper de North-
hall, in Comitatu Middless. Armigeri.
Qui cum corporis castitatem quadragin-
ta trium annorum coelibatu comprobas-
set, Animam Sponso suo Iesu Christo pi-
am sanctam{que} tradidit, 15. die Iulii,
Anno Domini, 1602.
Christo S. S.
Iohanni Foxo,
A very faire Mar-
ble stone set up on end in the same wall.
Ecclesiae Anglicanae Marty-
rologo fidelissimo, Antiquitatis Histori-
cae Indagatori sagacissimo, Evangelicae
veritatis propugnatori acerrimo, Thau-
maturgo admirabili; Qui Martyres
Marianos, tanquam Phoenices, ex cineri-
bus redivivos praestitit. Patri suo omni
pietatis officio imprimis colendo, Samuel
Foxus illius primogenitus, hoc Monu-
mentum posuit, non sine lachrymis.
Obiit die 18. Mens. April. An. Dom.
1587
. jam septuagenarius.
Vita vitae mortalis est, Spes vi-
tae immortalis.
Here lyeth the body of Robert Crowley,
A faire plated stone on the groūd in the Chancell.

Clerke, late Vicar of this Parish; who de-
parted this life the 18. day of Iune, An.
Dom. 1588
.
Sacra sub hoc saxo
tria corpora mista quiescunt,
A Plate engraven on a faire stone neer to the o-
ther.
Gulielmi Bullen
Medici, Fratrisque Richardi,
Ee
Ac


Ac Johannis Foxi:
qui tres mihi crede fuerunt
Doctrina clari,
rari & pietatis alumni.
Gulielmus Bullen
Medicamina semper habebat,
Aequè pauperibus danda,
ac locupletibus aequè.
Sicque Richardus erat
benefacere & ipse paratus,
Omnibus ex aequo
quibus ipse prodesse valebat.
At Foxus noster
per multas hos parasangas,
Vita praecurrit,
studiisque accedimus omnes.
Extant quae scripsit
tormenta cruenta piorum,
Extant perdoctè
permulta volumina scripta,
Quae scripsit Foxus:
nulli fuit ipse secundus.
Obiit An. Dom. 1587. April. 16.
Here lyeth buried William Bullen,
On the same stone.
who
dyed the seventh day of Ianuary, 1576.
Vnder this stone sleepeth the body of Ri-
chard Bullen
, a faithfull Servant and
Preacher of Iesus Christ: And was bu-
ried the sixteenth day of October, Anno
Domini, 1563
.
Here lieth the body of Richard Westerne,
one of the sonnes of Richard Westerne,
Another plated stone in the Chan-
cell.

of London, Grocer, who being aged 25.
yeeres, deceased the 15. day of Decem-
ber, Anno Domini, 1602
.
Christus mihi vita, Mors mihi
lucrum.
Heere lyeth buried Sir Henry Grey,
A faire Tombe in the South Ile of the Quire.

Knight, sonne and heire to George, Lord
Grey
, of Ruthen, and Earle of Kent.
The which Sir Henry Grey departed
this life the 24. day of September, in the
yeere of Christ, 1562
.
Anna Thomae Tumulo
jacet hoc uxorcula Strangae,
A faire plated stone in the same Ile.
Quae quia bella fuit,
placuit{que} marita marito,
Marmore sic texit,
dulci devictus amore.
Obiit Anno Salutis, 1573. Aetatis suae,
19. Februarii
vicessimo quarto.
Tolerandum, Sperandum.
A comely Monumēt in the South wal of the Quire.
Roberto Glovero, alias Somerset, Feciali
celeberrimo: Heraldicae Scientiae, & ve-
ritatis antiquae, vindici acerrimo: sum-
mam laudem & benevolentiam ob prae-
clarum ingenium, per acre judicium;
ex multa veterum scriptorum (labore
indefesso) perscrutatione; ob morum fa-
cilitatem, vitaeque innocuae sanctimoni-
am, apud omnes consecuto; Avunculo
chariss. Thomas Milles Nepos, amoris
hoc Monumentum moerens posuit.
Robertus iste, natus Ashsordiae Can-
tii emporio, parentibus ingenuis, li-
beraliter educatus, in multis apprimè
versatus, Heraldicae unicè peritissi-
mus evasit. Fratrem unicum Guliel-
mum ex Tho. & Mildreda P. P. Soro-
res autem 5. habuit. ex Elizabetha
Flower Conjuge, 5. tantum, supersti-
tes reliquit liberos, filios scilicet 3. fi-
lias{que} 2. Tandem cum jam Patriae or-
bi{que} post varia exantlata studia acu-
minis peritiae, & diligentiae stupendae
gustum insignem praebere, at{que} Prin-
cipi Sereniss. suis meritis gratissimus
esse ceperit. 10. April. 1518. aetat. suae
45. vitam erumnosam cum morte piè
& placidè, in uno Christo commuta-
vit. Idque omnium cum doctissi-
morum tum optimorum undique
pro tanto literar. pietatis & virtutis
alumno dolore ac gemitu utpote;
Quem fata tantum terris ostendisse
videantur, nec amplius esse sinant.
R. G. moriens ut viverat, vixit ut
moriturus.
In the North Ile of the Quire, han-
geth vp the Ensignes of Armes belon-
ging to Thomas Hawley, alias Clarenti-
aulx
, King at Armes, buried 1573. but
no other Monument there made for
him.
Roger Mason, of this Parish, Citizen and
Vintner of London, gave to the poore of
the freedome of this Parish, 200. pounds,
wherewith an yeerely rent of 16. pounds
or thereabout, is purchased for ever; to be
bestowed on ten Gownes of blacke Cloth
lined, to bee distributed yeerely upon
tenne poore men of the freedome of this
Parish, upon All Saints day, at
the discretion of the Vicar, and
Church-


Church-wardens for the time being.
He died the 3. day of Septemb. 1603.
Aetat-suae, 37. Leaving his wife Iane,
by whom he had three sons and three
daughters; whereof one onely now
liveth, named Katharine. Which Iane
truely paid the above mentioned two
hundred pounds, and joyned the ere-
ction of this Monument, set up, An.
Dom.
1606. May the 8. day: Iohn
Buckeridge
, Doctor of Divinity, being
Vicar; Edward Sikling, Richard May,
David Iones
, and Roger Webbe, then
Churchwardens.
William Day,
Another small Mo-
nument in the wall of the same Ile in the Quire.
Citizen and Vintner of
London, the sonne of Thomas Day of
Boseham, in Sussex, Gentleman, and
Elizabeth his wife, gave to the poore
of this Parish 80. pounds, which was
payed by his brother George Day,
wherewith an yeerely rent of sixe
pounds, or thereabout, is purchased
for ever: to be bestowed on twelve
Coats of greene Cloth, to be distri-
buted yeerely upon twelve poore Or-
phans, upon All Saints day; at the
discretion of the Vicar and Church-wardens
for the time being. Hee ly-
eth buried in his Parish Church of S.
Michael in Cornhill, and dyed the 22.
day of September, 1603
. Aetatis suae,
32. Set up Anno Domini, 1606. May
the 8
. day: Iohn Buckeridge, Doctor
of Divinity, being Vicar, and the fore-remembred
Church-wardens.
Here lyeth the body of Edward Harvist,
A very faire Mo-
nument in the North wal of this Ile.

Citizen and Brewer of London, Al-
dermans Deputy of this Parish, and
one of His Majesties Gunners; and
Anne his beloved wife. They were
both very charitable persons: as in
giving Land to this Parish perpetu-
ally, for the reliefe of poore Wid-
dowes; as also Land to the Compa-
ny whereof he was free, for mending
of the high way betweene Edgeworth
and Paddington. He gave great Lega-
cies to his poore kindred, and depar-
ted this life the foureteenth day of
March, 1610. Shee departed this
life the foure and twentieth day of
May, Anno Domini, 1610. Expe-
cting both a glorious resurrection in
Iesus Christ.
A Remembrance of Tho. Busbie,
Citizen and Cooper of London, who
departed this life in the yeere
1575. and was buried
the 11. day of
Iuly.
This Busbie,
A comely Monumēt by the o-
ther.
willing to relieve the poore,
with fire and with bread,
Did give the house wherein he dwelt,
then called the Queenes Head.
Foure full Loads of the best Charcoales
he would have bought each yeere,
And forty dozen of Wheaten Bread,
for poore Householders here.
To see these things distributed,
this Busbie put in trust
The Vicar and Church-wardens,
thinking them to be just.
God grant that poore Householders here,
may thankfull be for such;
So God will move the minds of more,
to doe for them as much:
And let this good example move
such men as God hath blest,
To doe the like, before they goe
with Busbie to their rest.
Within this Chappell, Busbies bones,
in dust a while must stay,
Till he that made them, raise them up,
to live with Christ for aye.
A Remembrance of Master
Richard Roper, &c.
If you on earth that live,
An engra-
ven Plate fixed in the wall.
did know
what rest the dead possesse,
You would not wish to wander here,
in Vale of wretchednesse.
Good Helen, wife to me that was,
prepare thy selfe with speed,
That thou and I, with this yong Maid,
a Plant of both our Seed,
May rest in one, and rise in three,
by power of Godheads might,
When we with Angels shall assemble,
to everlasting light.
Richard Roper lived 70. yeeres, and dyed
the 28. day of Septemb. An. Dom. 1578.
Helen Roper lived 65. yeeres.
Ioane Roper lived the age of two yeeres.
Within this Ile lyeth buried the body of
Charles Langley, sometime of this
Parish, Ale-Brewer, who was buried
Ee2
the


the eighth day of Iune, An. Dom. 1602.
And did give bountifully to the poore of
this Parish.
If Langleys life you list to know,
A comely Monumēt in the wall beneath the Quire
read on, and take a view,
Of faith and hope I will not speake,
his workes shall shew them true:
Who whilst he liv’d, with counsell grave,
the better sort did guide;
A stay to weake, a staffe to poore,
without back-bite or pride:
And when he dyed, he gave his Mite,
all that did him befall,
For ever (once a yeere) to cloath
S. Giles his poore withall.
All Saints he pointed for the day,
Gownes twenty ready made,
with twenty Shirts, and twenty Smocks,
as they may best be had.
A Sermon eke he hath ordain’d,
that God may have his praise,
And other might be won thereby,
to follow Langleys wayes.
On Vicar and Church-wardens then,
his trust he hath repos’d,
As they will answer him one day,
when all shall be disclos’d.
Thus being dead, yet still he lives,
lives, never for to dye,
In Heavens blisse, in Worlds fame;
and so I trust shall I.
Launcelot Andrewes, Vicar.
Iohn Taylor, Wil. Hewet,
Edw. Sickling, Rich. May,
Churchwardens.
Charities to the poore in the Parish
of Saint Giles without Creplegate.
Master Thomas Busby,
Thomas Busby his gift to the poore.
Cooper, gave
forty dozen of Wheaten Bread, and
foure Loads of Charcoales, to be distri-
buted yeerely for ever unto the poore
of this Parish, in manner following:
The weeke before Alhallontide, one load
of Char-coales, and tenne dozen of
bread; the weeke before Christmas; the
weeke before the five and twentieth
day of January; and the weeke before
Easter, the foresaid proportion of bread
and Coales.
Mr. Blighton,
Mr. Blighton his gift.
Butcher, gave 40. dozen
of wheaten bread, and 2. load of Char-
coales, to bee distributed at the same
time, and in the same proportion.
Master Charles Langley, Brewer, gave
twenty Gownes for men and women,
Charles Langley his gift.

to be distributed, and twenty shirts for
twenty other men, and twenty smocks
for twenty other women yeerely for e-
ver, at the Feast of All Saints: and a re-
mainder of money to be given amongst
the poore people the same day, and for-
ty shillings also that day allowed for a
Sermon.
Master Roger Mason, Vintner, gave
two hundred pounds in Money,
Roger Ma-
son
his gift.
with
the which summe, tenne Gownes are
likewise to be provided for tenne poore
men or women, on the same Feast day
of All Saints, for ever.
Master William Day,
William Day his gift.
Vintner, gave
fourescore pounds: with the which sum
are to be provided twelve Coates, for
twelve poore mens Children, for ever
yeerely, and to bee distributed at the
said Feast of All Saints.
Mistris Anne Harvist gave foure te-
nements in Monks-well street,
Anne Har-
vist
her gift.
neere Cre-
plegate
, amounting to the yeerely rent
of twenty pounds, to bee distributed
quarterly to twenty poore widdows, to
each of them 5. shillings the quarter.
Master Robert Smith hath given foure
Bibles in Octavo,
Rob. Smith his gift.
well buffed and bossed,
to foure poore mens children, such as
can best deserve them by reading, to
be distributed yeerely for ever at Easter.
And also two and fifty dozen of Whea-
ten bread, every weeke one dozen for e-
ver.
Master Richard Hanbury,
Rich. Han-
bury and Richard Budd their gift.
and Master
Richard Budd, have given six new Books
of Common Prayer in Quarto, well
buffed and bossed, to be given yeerely
for ever at Easter, to sixe poore mens
children, such as can best deserve them
by reading. And also 52. dozen of
wheaten bread, to be given every week
for ever.
Master Roger Bellow,
Roger Bel-
low
his gift.
Brewer, hath
given the Lease of an house in Moore-lane,
called the signe of the Cocke, the
yeerely rent whereof is twenty pounds.
Out of the which summe, tenne pounds
is yeerely to be given to the poore, at
the Feast of Christmas: And the re-
mainder (except twenty shillings, o-
therwise by his will disposed) is yeerly
to be reserved, for the purchasing of
some parcell of Land, towards the re-
liefe of the poore.
The

The circuit of the Parish of S.
Giles without Creplegate.
THe Parishioners, in their Per-
ambulation, first strike downe
the Alley (which hath some-
time beene part of their Church-yard)
close by S. Giles his Well, and crossing
the Towne-ditch, keepe along by the
Citie Wall, almost to Aldersgate, where
they should crosse the Ditch againe,
and take in certaine Garden-houses,
which stand neere the Ditch, and so
comming downe a little Garden Alley,
(through which sometime hath beene a
way into Aldersgate street) returne again
by S. Giles his Well, the same way they
went in.
Then walking up the West side of
Red-crosse street, and the South side of
Barbican, till they come toward the far-
ther end thereof, over against the signe
of the Bores head, they set up their marks
upon a great Post (as it seemeth set there
for the same purpose) where they
should crosse over to the North side,
right over against the said bound, tho-
row certaine Garden Alleys, lying on
the West side of Willoughby House: but
by reason of some contention, that
course is of late denyed them, so that
they passe through Barbican, and turne
up Goswell street, (being part of S. But-
tolphs
Parish) untill they come a little
beyond the Barres, where they enter
their owne bounds againe, and setting
up their markes, passe along the right
side of the Kings high way, leading to
Islington, and leaving the Mount Mill
upon their right hand, they proceed on,
till they come within three roddes of a
little Bridge, (at the lower end of the
Close next unto Islington, over which
lyeth a foot-path toward Newington
Greene,)
where they digge a way over
the Ditch, and so keepe upon the top
of the Ditch banke, all the breadth of
the lower end of the said Close; where
they turne againe South-east, and ta-
king in all the Lay-stalles, and low
grounds, where bricke hath been made,
strike over betweene those low grounds
and the Brick-hils, that now are adjoy-
ning to the foot-path, leading from the
Pest-house to Islington, which they leave
on the left side; in the South end of
which Brick-hill, there is a stone set,
now almost digged downe: From the
which stone, they come straight South,
till they come over a Bridge, which is
laid purposely for them, and after re-
moved; which as soone as they have
past, they strike downe, by the said
Ditch side Eastward, to the farthest
Conduit head, where they give the
Children Poynts.
From whence they keepe a straight
course into the Kings high way, to Dame
Anne de Clare
, upon the right side of
which way they keepe, till they come
to the Butts, where a planck is purpose-
ly laid for them, over which they passe
into Holywell Close, and so keepe dire-
ctly to the farthest of the sixe Milles,
next unto Holywell, which they leave on
their left hand, and so passing over the
high way, keepe a straight course over
the Walks, to the farthest Wall, South
of the middle Walke, (leaving the But-
chers Close, and the lower Gardens,
some three Roddes on the left hand)
in the which VVall there is a marke
or Bound: From thence (not entring
the lowest Walke at all) they turne full
West, over the high way leading from
Moregate, and comming into little More-
fields
, (as we call it) they keepe close to
the Pales and Tentors (for they have
not passing eight or ten foot of ground
from the Pales) till they come to the
Posterne, where they set up their mark;
and so through the Posterne they make
their returne, &c.
There was in this Church (of old
time) a Fraternity or Brother-hood of
our blessed Lady,
Brother-hood in S. Giles Church.
or Corpus Christi and
S. Giles, founded by Iohn Belancer, in
the reigne of Edward the third, the 35.
yeere of his reigne.
Some small distance from the East
end of this Church,
Water-Conduit without Creplegate.
is a water-conduit,
brought in pipes of lead from Highbery,
by Iohn Middleton, one of the Executors
to Sir William East field, and of his goods.
The inhabitants adjoyning, castellated
it of their own coses and charges, about
the yeere 1483.
There was also a Bosse of cleere wa-
ter in the Wall of the Church-yard,
Bosse in the Wall of S. Giles Church-yard.
Ee3
made


made at the charges of Richard Whiting-
ton
, sometimes Maior, and was like to
that of Belinsgate. Of late the same was
turned into an evill Pumpe, and so is
cleane decayed.
There was also a faire Poole of cleere
water,
Poole of Spring water.
neere unto the Parsonage, on the
west side thereof, which was filled up
in the reigne of Henry the sixth. The
Spring was cooped in, and arched over
with hard stone, and staires of stone to
goe downe to the Spring, on the banke
of the Towne ditch. And this was also
done of the goods, and by the Execu-
tors of Richard Whitington.
In Whitecrosse-street,
White-crosse-street.
King Henry the
fifth builded one faire House, and foun-
ded there a Brotherhood of S. Giles, to
be kept: which House had sometime
beene an Hospitall of the French Order,
Hospitall of the French Order.

by the name of Saint Giles without Cre-
plegate
, in the reigne of Edward the first;
the King having the Jurisdiction, and
pointing a Custos thereof, for the pre-
cinct of the Parish of Saint Giles, &c.
Patent Rich. 2. the 15. yeere: Which
Hospitall being suppressed, the Lands
were given to the Brotherhood, for re-
liefe of the poore.
One Alley, of divers Tenements, o-
ver against the North wall of S. Giles
Church-yard, was appointed to bee
Almes-houses for the poore, wherein
they dwelled rent-free, and otherwise
were relieved: but the said Brother-
hood was suppressed by Henry the 8.
since which time, Sir Iohn Gresham,
Maior, purchased the Lands, and gave
part thereof to the maintenance of a
Free Schoole, which he had founded at
Holt, a Market Towne in Norfolke.
In Red crosse street,
Red-crosse streete.
on the West side
from S. Giles Church-yard, up to the
said Crosse, be many faire houses buil-
ded outward,
Liber. S. Buttolph.
with divers Alleys, tur-
ning into a large plot of ground, of old
time called the Iewes Garden,
The Iewes Garden, or place to bury their dead.
as being
the onely place appointed them in Eng-
land
, wherein to bury their dead; till
the yeere 1177. the 24. of Henry the se-
cond, that it was permitted them (after
long suit to the King and Parliament at
Oxford) to have a speciall place assigned
them in every quarter where they
dwelled.
This plot of ground remained to the
said Iewes, till the time of their finall
banishment out of England and is now
turned into faire Garden-plots and
Summer-houses for pleasure.
On the East side of this Red-crosse
street
, be also divers faire houses, up to
the Crosse. And there is Beech lane,
Beech lane.
per-
adventure so called of Nicholas de la
Beech
, Lieutenant of the Tower of Lon-
don
, put out of that Office in the 13. of
Edward the third. This Lane stretcheth
from Red-crosse street, to White-crosse
street
, replenished, not with Beech
trees, but with beautifull houses of
stone, bricke and timber. Amongst the
which, was (of old time) a great house,
pertaining to the Abbot of Ramsey for
his lodging,
The Ab-
bot of Ramsey his Inne.
when he repaired to the
Citie: It is now called Drewrie House,
of Sir Drew Drewrie, a worshipfull ow-
ner thereof.
On the North side of this Beech lane,
towards White-crosse street, the Drapers
of London have lately builded 8. Almes-houses
of bricke and timber,
Almes-houses in Beech lane.
for eight
poore Widdowes of their owne Com-
pany, whom they have placed there
rent-free, according to the gift of the
Lady Askew, Widdow to Sir Christo-
pher Askew
, sometime Draper, and
Maior, 1533.
Then in Golding lane,
Golding lane.
Richard Gal-
lard
, of Islington, Esquire, Citizen and
Painter-stainer of London,
Almes people there.
founded 13.
Almes-houses, for so many poore peo-
ple placed in them rent-free.
Hee gave to the poore of the same
Almes-houses, 2. d. the piece weekly, &
a load of Charcoales among thē yeerly
for ever; he left faire Lands about Isling-
ton
, to maintain his foundation. T. Hayes,
sometime Chamberlaine of London, in
the latter time of H. the 8. married Eli-
zabeth
his daughter and heire; which
Hayes and Elizabeth had a daughter na-
med Elizabeth, married to Iohn Iron-monger,
of London, Mercer, who now
hath the order of the Almes-people.
On the West side of Red-crosse street
is a street called the Barbican,
Burgh-kenning, or Barbican.
because
sometime there stood on the North side
there of a Burghkenning, or VVatch-tow-
er of the Citie, called in some language
a Barbican, as a Bikening is called a Bea-
con
. This Burgh-kenning, by the name
of the Mannor of Base Court, was
given


given by Edward the third, to Robert Vf-
ford
, Earle of Suffolke, and was lately
pertaining to Peregrine Barty, Lord Wil-
loughby
of Ersby.
Next adjoyning to this, is one other
great house,
Garter Place.
called Garter Place, some-
time builded by Sir Thomas Writhe, or
Writhesley, Knight, alias, Garter, princi-
pall King of Armes, second son of Sir
Iohn Writhe, Knight, alias Garter, and
was Vncle to the first Thomas, Earle of
Southampton, Knight of the Garter, and
Chancelor of England: Hee built this
house, and in the top therof a Chappel,
which hee dedicated by the name of
S. Trinitatis in Alto. Thus much for that
part of Creplegate Ward without the
VVall
, whereof more shall be spoken in
the Suburbe of that part. This VVard
hath an Alderman & his Deputy with-
in the gate. Common Councell, 8. Con-
stables, 9. Scavengers, 12. for VVard-
mote Inquest, 15. and a Beadle.
Without the gate, it hath also a De-
puty, Common Councell, 2. Consta-
bles, 4. Scavengers, 4. VVardmote In-
quest, 17. and a Beadle. It is taxed in
London to the Fifteene, at 40. pounds.

References

  • Drouillard, Tara. Executions. The Map of Early Modern London, edited by Janelle Jenstad, U of Victoria, 26 Jun. 2020, mapoflondon.uvic.ca/EXEC1.htm.
  • Stow, John, and William fitz-Stephen. Survey of London: Aldersgate Ward. The Map of Early Modern London, edited by Janelle Jenstad, U of Victoria, 26 Jun. 2020, mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_ALDE2.htm.
  • Stow, John, and William fitz-Stephen. Survey of London: Cripplegate Ward. The Map of Early Modern London, edited by Janelle Jenstad, U of Victoria, 26 Jun. 2020, mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_CRIP2.htm.
  • Stow, John, and William fitz-Stephen. Survey of London: Cornhill Ward. The Map of Early Modern London, edited by Janelle Jenstad, U of Victoria, 26 Jun. 2020, mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_CORN1.htm.

Cite this page

MLA citation

Stow, John, Anthony Munday, Anthony Munday, and Humphrey Dyson. The Survey of London (1633): Cripplegate Ward. The Map of Early Modern London, edited by Janelle Jenstad, U of Victoria, 26 Jun. 2020, mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1633_CRIP2.htm.

Chicago citation

Stow, John, Anthony Munday, Anthony Munday, and Humphrey Dyson. The Survey of London (1633): Cripplegate Ward. The Map of Early Modern London. Ed. Janelle Jenstad. Victoria: University of Victoria. Accessed June 26, 2020. https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1633_CRIP2.htm.

APA citation

Stow, J., Munday, A., Munday, A., & Dyson, H. 2020. The Survey of London (1633): Cripplegate Ward. In J. Jenstad (Ed), The Map of Early Modern London. Victoria: University of Victoria. Retrieved from https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1633_CRIP2.htm.

RIS file (for RefMan, EndNote etc.)

Provider: University of Victoria
Database: The Map of Early Modern London
Content: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

TY  - ELEC
A1  - Stow, John
A1  - Munday, Anthony
A1  - Munday, Anthony
A1  - Dyson, Humphrey
ED  - Jenstad, Janelle
T1  - The Survey of London (1633): Cripplegate Ward
T2  - The Map of Early Modern London
PY  - 2020
DA  - 2020/06/26
CY  - Victoria
PB  - University of Victoria
LA  - English
UR  - https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1633_CRIP2.htm
UR  - https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/xml/standalone/stow_1633_CRIP2.xml
ER  - 

RefWorks

RT Web Page
SR Electronic(1)
A1 Stow, John
A1 Munday, Anthony
A1 Munday, Anthony
A1 Dyson, Humphrey
A6 Jenstad, Janelle
T1 The Survey of London (1633): Cripplegate Ward
T2 The Map of Early Modern London
WP 2020
FD 2020/06/26
RD 2020/06/26
PP Victoria
PB University of Victoria
LA English
OL English
LK https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1633_CRIP2.htm

TEI citation

<bibl type="mla"><author><name ref="#STOW6"><surname>Stow</surname>, <forename>John</forename></name></author>, <author><name ref="#MUND1"><forename>Anthony</forename> <surname>Munday</surname></name></author>, <author><name ref="#MUND1"><forename>Anthony</forename> <surname>Munday</surname></name></author>, and <author><name ref="#DYSO1"><forename>Humphrey</forename> <surname>Dyson</surname></name></author>. <title level="a">The Survey of London (1633): Cripplegate Ward</title>. <title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title>, edited by <editor><name ref="#JENS1"><forename>Janelle</forename> <surname>Jenstad</surname></name></editor>, <publisher>U of Victoria</publisher>, <date when="2020-06-26">26 Jun. 2020</date>, <ref target="https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1633_CRIP2.htm">mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1633_CRIP2.htm</ref>.</bibl>

Personography