St. Helen’s, Bishopsgate

St. Helen’s was a priory of Benedictine nuns located in Bishopsgate Ward between St. Mary Axe Street and Bishopsgate Street. St. Helen’s is visible on the Agas map with the label S. Elen written in the churchyard. Stow and Harben inform us that the priory was set up in 1212 by William Basing, the dean of St. Paul’s Cathedral (Stow; Harben).
The priory church was a unique building with two parallel naves divided by partition betwixt the Nuns church, and Parish, Church (Stow). When the priory was surrendered during the reign of Henry VIII (1509–1547), the hall was given to the Leathersellers. The church was allowed to remain, but by 1799 only the two naves and bell tower were left of the old priory (Harben). The church has survived to the present day and can still be visited.
For more information about St. Helen’s, see their website.

References

Cite this page

MLA citation

Adams, Neil. St. Helen’s, Bishopsgate The Map of Early Modern London. Ed. Janelle Jenstad. Victoria: University of Victoria. Web. 09 April, 2018. <http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/STHE1.htm>.

Chicago citation

Adams, Neil. St. Helen’s, Bishopsgate The Map of Early Modern London. Ed. Janelle Jenstad. Victoria: University of Victoria. Accessed April 09, 2018. http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/STHE1.htm.

APA citation

Adams, N. 2018. St. Helen’s, Bishopsgate In J. Jenstad (Ed), The Map of Early Modern London. Victoria: University of Victoria. Retrieved from http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/STHE1.htm

RIS file (for RefMan, EndNote etc.)

Provider: University of Victoria
Database: The Map of Early Modern London
Content: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

TY  - ELEC
A1  - Adams, Neil
ED  - Jenstad, Janelle
T1  - St. Helen’s, Bishopsgate
T2  - The Map of Early Modern London
PY  - 2018
DA  - 2018/04/09
CY  - Victoria
PB  - University of Victoria
LA  - English
UR  - http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/STHE1.htm
UR  - http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/xml/standalone/STHE1.xml
ER  - 

RefWorks

RT Web Page
SR Electronic(1)
A1 Adams, Neil
A6 Jenstad, Janelle
T1 St. Helen’s, Bishopsgate
T2 The Map of Early Modern London
WP 2018
FD 2018/04/09
RD 2018/04/09
PP Victoria
PB University of Victoria
LA English
OL English
LK http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/STHE1.htm

TEI citation

<bibl type="mla"><author><name ref="#ADAM4"><surname>Adams</surname>, <forename>Neil</forename></name></author>. <title level="a">St. Helen’s, Bishopsgate</title> <title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title>. Ed. <editor><name ref="#JENS1"><forename>Janelle</forename> <surname>Jenstad</surname></name></editor>. <pubPlace>Victoria</pubPlace>: <publisher>University of Victoria</publisher>. Web. <date when="2018-04-09">09 April, 2018</date>. <ref target="http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/STHE1.htm">http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/STHE1.htm</ref>.</bibl>

Related documents / disambiguation

The church of St. Helen was within St. Helen parish.

Personography

Locations

Organizations

Variant spellings