The Survey of London (1633): Langborne Ward

This document is currently in draft. When it has been reviewed and proofed, it will be published on the site.

View the draft document.

Please note that it is not of publishable quality yet.


LAngbourne Ward, so
called, of a long
Boorn of sweet wa-
ter, which (of old
time) breaking out
into Fenne-Church-street,
ranne downe
the same street, and
Lombard street, to the West end of S.
Mary Woolnoths Church
, where turning
South, and breaking into small shares,
rils or streams, it left the name of Share-
borne lane
, or Southborne lane, (as I have
read) because it ranne South to the Ri-
ver of Thames. This Ward beginneth
at the West end of Ealdgate Ward, in
Fen-Church street, by the Ironmongers
Hall
, which is on the North side of that
street, at a place called Culver Alley,
where sometime was a lane, through the
which men went into Limestreet; but
that being long since stopped up,
Lane stopped up.
for
suspition of Theeves that lurked there
by night, as is shewed in Limestreet
Ward
; there is now in this said Alley
a Tennis Court, &c.
Fenne-Church street tooke that name
of a Fenny or Moorish ground, so made
by meanes of this Boorne, which passed
thorow it; and therefore (untill this
day) in the Guild-hall of this Citie, that
Ward is called by the name of Lang-
borne
, and Fenny about
, and not other-
wise: yet others be of opinion, that it
tooke that name of Foenum, that is, Hay,
sold there, as Grasse-street-tooke the
name of Grasse or Herbes there sold.
In the midst of this street standeth a
small Parish Church, called S. Gabriel
Fenne-Church
, corruptly, Fan-Church.
Helming Legget, Esquire, by licence
of Edward the third, in the 49. of his
reigne
, gave one Tenement, with a cur-
telarge thereto belonging, and a garden
with an entry thereto leading, unto Sir
Iohn Hariot
, Parson of Fen-Church, and
to his successors for ever; the house to
be a Parsonage house; the Garden to
be a Church-yard, or burying place for
the Parish.
Then have ye Lombard street,
Lombard street so called be-
fore
Ed. 2.
so cal-
led of the Longobards, and other Mer-
chants, strangers of divers Nations,
assembling there twise every day, of
what originall, or continuance, I have
not read of record, more than that Ed-
ward
the second
, in the twelfth of his
reigne
, confirmed a Messuage sometime
belonging to Robert Turke, abutting on
Lombard street toward the South, and
toward Cornehill on the North, for the
Merchants of Florence: which proveth
that street to have had the name of
Lombard street before the reigne of Ed-
ward
the second
. The meeting of which
Merchants and others there, continued
untill the 22. of December, in the yeere
1568
. on the which day, the said Mer-
chants began to make their meetings at
the Burse, a place then new builded for
that purpose, in the ward of Cornehill,
and was since by Her Majestie, Queene
Elizabeth
, named the Royall Exchange.
On the North side of this Ward, is
Limestreet, one halfe whereof (on both
sides) is of this Langborne VVard, and
therein on the west side, is the Pewte-
rers Hall
, which Company were admit-
ted to be a Brotherhood, in the 13. of
Edward the fourth
.
At the South-west corner of Lime-
street
, standeth a faire Parish Church
V

Langborne Ward.

of S. Dionis called Backe-Church, lately
new builded in the reigne of Henry the
sixth
. Iohn Bugge, Esquire, was a great
Benefactor to that worke, as appeareth
by his Armes, three water-Budgets, and
his Crest, a Morions head, graven in
the stone-worke of the Quire, at the
upper end, on the North side, where he
was buried.
Also Iohn Darby, Alderman, added
thereunto a faire Ile or Chappell on the
South side, and was there buried, about
the yeere 1466. He gave (besides sun-
dry ornaments) his dwelling house and
others unto the said Church.
The Lady wich, widdow to Hugh
Wich
, sometimes Maior of London, was
there buried, and gave Lands for Ser-
mons, &c.
Iohn Master, Gent. was by his chil-
dren buried there, 1444.
Thomas Britaine. Henry Travers of
Maidstone in Kent, Merchant, 1501.
Iohn Bond, about 1504.
Robert Paget, Merchant-Taylor, one
of the Sheriffes 1536.
Sir Tho. Curteis, Pewterer, then Fish-
monger, Maior 1557.
Sir Iames Harvie, Ironmonger, Mai-
or, 1581.
William Peterson, Esquire. William
Sherington
. Sir Edward Osborne, Cloth-worker,
Maior, &c.
sub Marmore conditus iste,
An anci-
ent Mar-
ble Tomb in the North Ile of the Quire, upper-most East-
ward.
Quem mundo eripuit
Parca severa senem:
Quemque suum Cives
voluere augere Senatum,
Iustitia & gravitas
hunc meruere gradum.
Purpuriens sic
Praeturam gessit in urbe,
Ferret ut hoc multum
laudis ab officio.
Animus huic Consul
Sceptroque insignis & ense,
Londinium vexit
dexteritate bona.
Thomam progenuit
solumque moestis humanis,
Vita adeo fragili
sorte fugaxque datur.
Vnica neptis avo,
est Anna haeres, filia Thomae,
Dignaque neptus avo,
dignaque nata patre.
Stuclea haec nupsit
Generoso stemmata certo,
Fraeclaroque domi
Militiaeque viro.
Fumus & umbra sumus,
quicquid mortale peribat,
Sola manet pietas,
quae sine fine viret.
Neere unto it is a very goodly Mo-
nument, belonging to Sir Iames Har-
vey
, but without any inscription or E-
pitaph.
D. D. M. S.
Emanuel de Meteren, Mercatori Ant-
werpiensi
,
A small Monumēt in the wal on the same side.
atque inter ordinis ejusdem
Belgas Londini, quondam Cos. Des.
viro pio, viro docto. Qui rerum in Bel-
gia
gest. Historiam opus luculentum &
fidei plenum posteris reliquit.
Esther de Corput. conjux conjugi libe-
rique ix. parenti optimo P. P. Obiit
die 8. Aprilis, Anni M. DC.
XII. Cum vixisset An. lxxvj. Mens. 3.
Animae super Aethera vivunt.
Iacobo Colio G. F. Belgol.
On a pil-
lar in the midst of the Chan-
cell.
Regis Henrici
8. munere Angl. indignae Mercatori pro-
bo. Qui obiit Ann. Chri. M. D.
XCI
. suo Lxxiix. Et Elizab. Orteliae,
Qui obiit Anno Christi, M. D.
XC III
. Connubio nuper nunc Tumu-
lo junctis Iac. Colins parentibus pientiss.
M. H. F. C.
Christo duce, & ossa resurgent.
This Tombe of Sir Edward Osborne,
Knight,
A goodly Monu-
ment in the South Ile of the Quire.
sometime Lord Maior of this
Noble Citie, who was buried An. Dom.
1591. And of Dame Margaret his se-
cond wife, who married after with M.
Baron Clarke, (by whom this Tombe
was erected) and was buried, An. Dom.
1602.
Mistresse Katharine VVoodward,
In the west end of the Church, but on the south side.
wid-
dow, having (in her life time) beene
a godly, religious, and vertuous Ma-
trone, charitable to the poore, and not spa-
ring of her purse to pious uses: Two wor-
thy Gentlemen (her Executors) have there
raised a comely remembrance of her to all
posterity.
This


This Monument was erected for the Wor-
shipfull M. John Hewet, Gent. Citizen
and Merchant of London, and free of
the Clothworkers Company: who in his
life time was loving to all, and pittifull
to the poore: witnesse the yeerely pension
he hath given for ever, of five pounds to
the poore of this Parish. He changed this
mortall habitation the third day of Iuly,
Anno Domini, 1602
.
This Charity, and 12. d. beside, gi-
ven every Sunday in bread to the poore,
is all that there I understand of.
Then by the foure corners (so called
of Fen-church street in the East,
The foure corners, a place so called, of 4. wayes meeting.
Bridge-street
on the South, Grasse-street on the
North, and Lombard street on the west)
in Lombard street is one faire Parish
Church, called Alhallowes Grasse-church
in Lambard street. I doe so reade it in
Evidences of Record, for that the
Grasse-Market went downe that way,
when that street was farre broader than
now it is, being straightned by incroch-
ments.
This Church was lately new builded.
Iohn Warner, Armorer, and then Grocer,
Sheriffe, 1494. builded the South Ile;
his sonne Robert Warner, Esquire, fini-
shed it, in the yeere 1516. The Pew-
terers were Benefactors towards the
North Ile, &c. The Sleeple or Bel-tow-
er thereof was finished in the yeere
1544. about the thirty and sixth of Hen-
ry
the eighth
. The faire stone Porch of
this Church, was brought from the late
dissolved Priory of S. Iohn of Ierusalem
by Smithfield, so was the frame of their
Bels; but the Bels being bought, were
never brought thither, by reason that
one old Warner Draper of that Parish de-
ceasing, his son Mark Warner would not
performe what his Father had begunne
and appointed; so that faire Steeple
hath but one Bell, as Friers were wont
to use.
The Monuments of this Church bee
these:
A faire Monu-
ment in the wall, at the East end of the North Ile of the Quire.
the said Warners, and Iohn Walden,
Draper.
Memoriae Sacrum.
Spe certa in Christo resurgendi, hic requi-
escit Christopherus Tolderney, Armi-
ger, vir prudens, & optimis studiis in-
nutritus: Atque Susanna Vxor, Filia
Joannis Alnwici, Generos. Qui cum
plures annos fide & amore conjugali con-
cordissimè vixissent; Obiit illa nono die
Ianuarii, An. Domini, M. D. CXII.
Ille Martii sequentis die 20. Quatuor
liberis superstitibus, Christophero &
Joanne, Iana, (Roberto Darello de
Calehill, Militi enupta) & Eliza-
betha
.
Here under this stone resteth (in assured
hope of a joyfull resurrection) the body of
Rebecca Crispe,
A very goodly stone pla-
ted, on the ground in the same Ile.
Daughter to Iohn
Pake
of Bromefield in Essex, Gent. and
late wife to Nicholas Crispe of Lond.
Merchant. She departed this life the 27.
day of April, An. Dom. 1616
. and in the
37. of her age: Giving to the world (both
in her life and death) undoubted testimo-
ny of her faith in Christ Iesus: Having
had issue 3. sonnes, and 8. daughters.
Here lyeth buried the body of Simō Horse-
poole
,
In the Chancell a faire stone plated, a-
gainst his Pew dore.
free of the Drapers Company: al-
so free of the ancient Wooll-staple; free of
the Merchants Adventurers of the old
Haunce and Moscovia. He was chosen
sheriffe of London, in An. 1591. He
married Elizabeth Smith, daughter to
Iohn Smith of Cosham, in the County
of Wiltshire, Gent. and sister to Tho-
mas Smith
, Customer of London. And
by her he had issue 3. sons and 3. daugh-
ters, William, Simon and Thomas,
Elizabeth
married with Alexander
King
, one of the Queenes Majesties Au-
ditors. Hawys married with Francis
Dorington
, Merchant of Tripolie. And
Ioan, maried with Iohn Whitbrooke,
Gent.
He dwelt in Grasse-Church street in this
Parish, 35. yeeres, and he appointed to
this Parish of All Saints, foure pounds
and foure shillings every yeere for ever:
and also foure pounds and foure shillings
to the Parish of Saint Christopher by
Cornehill, where hee was borne, and
where his Father Iohn Horsepoole (al-
so free of the Drapers Company, and borne
in Leicestershire) dwelt, and lyeth bu-
ried: That every Sunday after Morning
Service, there bee given to twelve poore
people of this Parish, to every one of them
one penny loafe of wheaten bread; and al-
so every Sunday to twelve poore people of
Saint Christophers Parish, to every one
V2
of


of them one penny loafe of wheaten bread;
and every yeere upon Saint Thomas the
Apostles day, to every one of the said 24.
poore people, twelve pence in money: and
every yeere upon the said Saint Thomas
his day, to the two Paris-Clerkes of the
said Parises, to every of them for their
paines, 13. s. 4. d. and to the two Sex-
tons of the said Parishes, to every of them
for their paines, 6. s. 8. d.
In performance whereof,
Yet li-
ving, and of whom I received these in-
structions.
William Horse-
poole
, sonne of the said Simon Horse-
poole
, hath granted two severall annui-
ties and Rents, charge of foure pounds
and foure sillings apiece, out of an house
in Corbets Alley in Grasse-Church
street
, in the Parish of Saint Peter, to
certaine parishioners of the said Parishes
respectively, and their heires in trust, to
the foresaid uses for ever.
Hee dyed the 14. day of Ianuary, 1601.
Aged 75. yeeres.
Vertue is not dead.
A faire plated stone ly-
ing by the other.
The soule in Heaven,
the body here of Izan lies,
By her John Edwards good,
and by her parents both:
She deare to her all three,
that living, still she cries,
Lay me by them.
for other Grave I loath.
O God! that heard’st
the cry of this thy creature,
Make Izans many,
in vertue, grace, and feature.
As love (in life)
eonjoyn’d us once,
And God (by death)
disjoyn’d us twaine:
So love (by death)
rejoyn’d our bones,
And God (in joy)
joyn’d us againe.
Stand here firme (God permitting) ever, a
patterne,
A faire Monumēt erected in the South Ile of the Quire for the same person.
a spurre to sacred vertue: In
memory of a blessed Matrone heere buri-
ed: Rich in true piety, vertue, and re-
verend modesly, from her Cradle to her
Cossin: an ornament (of her sexe) for true
constancy in both fortunes: the onely mo-
ther and beauty of her race, in her time,
named Izan Wright by her Father, Ed-
wards
by her first husband, both of this
Parish, and also here buried. Her shining
to the vaine world (to whom Adversity is
Vice, and Prosperity is Vertue) was eclip-
sed by a second marriage, wherein she de-
ceased the fifth day of March, An. Dom.
1613
. Aged about 66. yeeres.
Here under this place lyeth buried the body
of Thomas Walker,
A comely samll Mo-
numeat in the South Ile of the Quire, East.
Citizen and Vint-
ner of London, who deceased the 25.
day of Ianuary, 1599
. Which said Tho-
mas Walker
had two wives, Joane and
Mary. By Joane he had issue eight chil-
dren, foure sonnes, and foure daughters.
Joane his wife lyeth hereunder buried,
who deceased the 29. day of August, 1592.
Aetatis suae, 69.
Mans life, betimes tryit who shall,
Shall find no time in it to trust:
Sometime to climbe, sometime to fall,
Till life of man be brought to dust.
Next is a common Osterie for travel-
lours, called the George, of such a Signe,
This is said to have pertained to the
Earle Ferrers, and was his London lod-
ging in Lombard street: And that to the
yeere 1175. a brother of the said Earle,
being there privily slaine in the night,
was there throwne down into the dirty
street, as I have afore shewed in the
Chapter of Night-watches.
Next is the Parish Church of S. Ed-
mond
the King and Martyr,
Parish Church of S. Edmond
in Lombard
street
, by the South corner of Birchover
lane
.
This Church is also called. S. Edmond
Grasse-Church
, because the said Grasse-
market
came downe so low.
The Monuments in this Church, are
these:
Sir Iohn Milborne, Draper, Maior,
deceased, 1535. buried there by Dame
Ioan
and Dame Margaret his wives, un-
der a Tombe of Touch.
Humfrey Heyford, Goldsmith, Maior,
1477.
Sir William Chester, Draper, Maior,
1560. with his wives, amongst his pre-
decessors.
Sir George Barne, Maior, 1586.

In the
South side
of the
Chancell,
a faire
Mouumēt
in the wall
postquam Chestera marito,
Sex natos, natas
octo dedisset, ait;
Non opus in terris,
nec fas me viviere supra,
Jam sat habes comitum,
chare marite vale.
Quam quoniam nequiit
vivam revocare sub auras
Quod potuit fecit,
dum suit illa super
Illa ex parte suam
faciem de marmore duci
Jussit, at ex ista,
Conjugis ore suæ.
Hac natas, illa
natos subjunxit, eodem
Vultu, quippe albos
Mors facit esse suos.
Hæc cecidit, manet ille
super, quando morituris
Inscius, at certus
quod moriturus erit.
D. Ioanne Milburne, secundo marito
matri fuæ optimæ, Gulielmus Che-
sterus
posuit. Anno Domini 1561.
In the
other side
of the
Chancell
North, a
hansome
small Mo-
nument.
This Monument declares,
that here the corps do lye
Of him that sought in Science sight
to publish prudently,
(Among the rest of things,
the which he put in ure)
That ancient practice and profound,
that hight Architecture.
A knowledge meet for those
that buildings doe erect,
As by his workes, at large set forth,
is shewne the fulle effect.
All for the love he bare
to this his native Land:
Yet though he dyed, his deeds doe live,
and Fame in them doth stand.
who likes therefore to winne
such fame as he hath wonne;
Let them take care for Common-weale,
as here Iohn Shute hath done:
Whose soule we hope to be
in faithfull Abrahams brest,
With Gods elect and chosen flocke,
for ever there to rest.
Wisedome and Science,
above each other thing,
Are Vertues, from the which
all Fame doth spring.
John Shute, Painter-stainer, dyed the 25.
of September, Anno Domini, 1563
.
Charities to the Poore in Saiut
Edmonds
Parish
.
M. Richard Iaie, Serjeant of the Law,
hath given to the poore of this Parish
yeerley for ever, 45. S. to bee given in
Bread, Coales, or otherwise.
Mistris Ioane Lowen of Raineham in the
County of Essex, widdow, by her Will
dated in March, 1569. hath given to
the poore of this Parish, 52. S. yeerely
for ever, in bread, with the advantage,
13. penny loaves every Sunday, to 13.
poore people, &c.
M. Iohn Torkington, 40. S. yeerely for
ever, in bread or otherwise, by his will,
in the yeere 1571. Payed by the Ma-
sters and Wardens of the Drapers
Company, or out of his owne corner
house, situate in the same Parish.
Sir Richard Champion, Knight, some-
time Lord Maior of this Honourable
Citie, by his Will the 23. day of March,
1570
. hath given 54. S. yeerely for e-
ver, in bread or otherwise: Paid out of
the rent of the house called the Beades
in Birchen lane. And 12. d. apiece to
each Churchwarden for ever, to see his
Will performed.
Iohn Rois, Citizen and Mercer of Lon-
don
, by his Will the 23. day of Auguſt,
1568
. to 12. poore people, 6. of this
Parish, and 6. of the Panish of Whit-
tington Colledge
, every Sunday for ever
in bread, hath given a Penny loafe to
each person, payable out of his house in
the same Parish.
VVilliam VVatson, by his will, the 19.
day of September, 1586
. hath given his
dwelling house in S. Clements lane, to
have 40. S. paid yeerely for ever, to the
poore of the said Parish, in bread or o-
therwise.
M. Thomas Russell, by his Will, the
7. day of July, 1593. hath given yeere-
ly, for the terme of 37. yeeres, 2. loads of Char-coales to the poore of this Pa-
rish, betwixt Alhallontide and Christ-
masse
: Paid by the Master and War-
dens of the Drapers, out of certain hou-
ses standing in a void piece of ground
in Thames street, in the parish of S. Mary
Sommerset
.
Frõ this Church down Lombard street,
V3
by


by Birchovers lane, (the one halfe of
which Lane is of this VVard) and so
downe, be divers faire houses; namely,
one with a faire fore-front towards the
street, builded by Sir Martin Bowes,
Goldsmith, since Maior of London: And
then one other, sometime belonging to
William de la Pole,
Noblemē of this Realme, of old time, as also of late yeers, have dealt in Mer-
chandises.
Knight Baronet, and
yet the Kings Merchant, in the 14. of
Edward the third
; and after him, to Mi-
chael de la Pole
, Earle of Suffolke, in the
24. of Richard the second, and was his
Merchants house, and so downe toward
the Stockes Market, lacking but some
three houses thereof.
The South side of this VVard begin-
neth in the East, at the chaine to bee
drawne thwart Mart lane, up into Fen-Church
street
, and so west, by the North
end of Mincheon lane, to Saint Margaret
Pattens
street
, or Rood lane, and downe
that street, to the mid-way towards S.
Margarets Church
: Then by Philpot
lane
, (so called of Sir Iohn Philpot that
dwelled there, and was owner thereof)
and downe that Lane, some six or eight
houses on each side, is all of this VVard.
Then by Grasse-Church corner, into
Lombard-street, to S. Clements lane, and
downe the same to S. Clements Church:
then downe Saint Nicholas lane, and
downe the same to S. Nicholas Church,
and the same Church is of this VVard.
Then to Abchurch lane, and downe
some small portion thereof: then downe
Sherborne lane, a part thereof, and a part
of Beare-binder lane, be of this VVard:
and then downe Lombard street to the
signe of the Angell, almost to the corner
over against the Stockes Market.
On the South side of this VVard,
somewhat within Mart lane, have yee
the Parish Church of Alhallowes, com-
monly called Stane-Church, (as may be
supposed) for a difference from other
Churches of that name in this Citie,
which (of old time) were builded of
timber, and since were builded of stone.
In this Church have beene divers faire
Monuments of the dead; namely,
Iohn Costin,
Of late it is fixed there in better manner than ever it was before.
Girdler, a great benefa-
ctor: he deceased 1244. his name re-
maineth painted in the Church roofe:
if it had beene set in brasse, it would
have beene fetched downe. Hee gave
out of certaine Tenements to the poore
of that Parish, an hundred quarters of
Charcoales yeerely for ever.
Sir Iohn Test, Knight of the holy Se-
pulcher, and Dame Ioan his wife, about
1486.
Iohn Bostocke, Esquire.
Sir Richard Tate, Knight, Ambassa-
dour to King Henry the eighth, buried
there, 1554. His Monument remai-
neth yet; the rest beeing all pulled
downe, and swept out of the Church,
the Church-wardens were forced to
make a large account, twelve shillings
that yeere for Broomes, beside the car-
riage away of stone and brasse, at their
owne charge.
And here I am to note, that being in-
formed of the Writhsleys to bee buried
there, I have since found them and o-
ther, to be buried at Saint Giles without
Creplegate
, where I mind to leave them.
Our Holt (alas) hath stint his hold,
A faire Marble Tombe is the South wall of the Quire.
by Death cal’d hence in haste,
Whose Christen name being Christopher
with Christ is better plac’t.
In Sawton borne of gentle race,
in London spent his dayes,
A Clerke that serv’d in Customehouse,
in credit many wayes.
So that we leese the losse
of this so deare a Friend,
Whose life well while he was here,
hath gain’d a better end.
Iohn Mun,
A small Monumẽt in the east wall.
Citizen and Mercer of
London, who deceased the third day of
Iune, 1615
. gave towards the repairing
of this Church, 100. l.
Mary Benam, lying here buried,
Beneath in the lower part of the Church, a faire pla-
ted stone.
gave
10. l. 4. s. for ever yeerely to this Pa-
rish, and the Parish of Saint Olaves in
Hartstreet, which is in money truely
performed every Sunday, 2. s. in each
place to the poore.
By this Church somtime passed a lane
called Craddockes lane, from Mart lane,
winding by the North side of the said
Church into Fenne-church street: the
which Lane being straightned by in-
croachments, is now called Church-Alley.


Then is the parish Church of Saint
Nicholas Acon
, or Hacon (for so have I
read it in Records) in Lombard street. Sir
Iohn Bridges Draper, Maior, 1520. new-
ly repaired this Church, and imbattled
it, and was there buried.
Francis Bowyer, Grocer, one of the
Sheriffes, was buried there, 1580. with
other of the Bowyers.
So was Iulian, wife to Iohn Lambard,
Alderman.
Here resteth in hope of a joyfull resurrection
the body of Francis Bowyer, late Alder-
man of London, who was borne in Chi-
chester
,
the Sonne of Robert Bowyer
of Chichester, and Margaret his wife.
He had Brethren, Robert eldest, Wil-
liam
, Henry
, and Peter: which Sonnes
together with their Mother Margaret,
doe rest in this Church. He married E-
lizabeth
,
daughter to William Tilles-
worth
:
with whom hee lived most lo-
vingly and faithfully, the space of 27.
yeeres: And by her had seven Sonnes
and foure Daughters, of whom remained
living at his death foure Sonnes, Willi-
am
, Robert, Francis
, and John: And
three Daughters, Joane, Margaret, and
Elizabeth. Obiit 14. Iunii. An. Dom.
1581
.
Then is there (in the high street) a
proper Parish Church of Saint Mary
Wolnoth
, of the Nativity, the reason of
which name I have not yet learned.
This Church is lately new builded. Sir
Hugh Brice
, Goldsmith, Maior in the
first yeere of Henry the seventh, Keeper
of the Kings Exchange at London, and
one of the Governours of the Kings
Mint in the Tower of London, under
William Lord Hastings, the fifth of Ed-
ward
the fourth
deceased, 1496. Hee
builded in this Church a Chappell, cal-
led the Charnel, as also part of the body
of the Church and of the Steeple, and
gave money toward the finishing there-
of, besides the stone that he had prepa-
red; hee was buried in the body of the
Church, and Guy Brice or Boys, was also
buried there.
Thomas Nocket, Draper, 1396: hee
founded a Chauntry there.
Simon Eyre, 1459. hee gave the Ta-
verne, called the Cardinals Hat in Lom-
bard street
, with a Tenement annexed
on the East part of the Taverne, and a
mansion behind the East Tenement, to-
gether with an Alley from Lombard
street
to Cornehill with the appurtenan-
ces, all which were by him new builded
toward a Brotherhood of our Lady in
Saint Mary Wolnoths Church.
Iohn Moager, Pewterer, and Emme his
wife in S. Iohns Chappell.
Sir Iohn Percivall, Merchant-Taylor,
Maior, about 1504.
Thomas Roch, and Andrew Michael,
Vintners, and Ioane the Wife of them
both.
William Hilton, Merchant-Taylor, and
Taylor to King Henry the eighth, was
buried there, 1519. under the Chappel
of Saint George, which Chappell was
builded by George Lufken, sometime
Taylor to the Prince.
Robert Amades, Goldsmith, Master
of the Kings Jewels.
Sir Martin Bowes,
Langborne Ward dis-
charged of Fifteenes.
Maior, buried about
1569. he gave Lands for the discharge
of that Langborne Ward, of all Fifteenes
to bee granted to the King by Parlia-
ment.
Sir Thomas Ramsey, late Maior, &c.
Sir Iohn Percivall,
A faire Tombe in the Chan-
cell.
Knight, sometime
Lord Maior of this City, and Dame
Thomasine his Wife, worthy Benefactors
to this parish, lye both here buried, &c.
The severall wils made by them both
in ancient writing, are (to the parishes
great commendation) very carefully
kept and preserved in this Church, in
a goodly enclosure made for the purpose
and to bee turned open like folding Ta-
bles: I have not seene the like in any o-
ther Church.
Moreover I read (concerning this
man) that hee was one of the Maior of
Londons Officers,
An obser-
vation out of Richard Grafton.
and was the Carver at
the Maiors Table. And when the Maior
(as the custome of London is) doth elect
one of the Sheriffes of London for the
yeere ensuing, by taking and drinking
a cup of Wine to such a man as he plea-
seth to name: The Maior at that time
(whose name was Sir Henry Collet,
Knight, and free of the Mercers) tooke
the cup of VVine and dranke to the
aforesaid


aforesaid Iohn Percival,
Iohn Perci-
vall
, Car-
ver to the Lord Mai-
or or chosen Sheriffe of London.
his Carver, stan-
ding bare-headed waiting before him,
and called him Sheriffe of Lond. for the
yeere ensuing: forthwith the said Maior
caused the same Percivall to sit downe
at his owne Table, and to cover his
head. And the same Percivall tooke
upon him the office of Sherivalty, and
afterward was Lord Maior of London,
and made knight. Register of Maiors.
Here lyeth buried the body of Sir Martin
Bowes
,
A goodly Marble close Tombe under the Commu-
nion Ta-
ble.
Knight, Alderman and Lord
Maior of London, and also free of the
Goldsmiths Company: with Cicilie,
Dame Anne and Dame Elizabeth, his
wives. The which Sir Martin Bowes
deceased the 4. day of August, An. Dom.
1566
.
His will also is there kept in a faire Table.
Here lyeth interred the body of Sir Tho-
mas Ramsey
,
A very goodly Monu-
ment in the East end of the Chancell.
Knight, a most worthy Ci-
tizen, and lately Lord Maior of Lon-
don
, being free of the Grocers Company,
with whom (by will) he hath left a per-
petuall reliefe for poore yong men, Retay-
lours of the said Company, which he saw
performed in his lifetime. He was a most
carefull Magistrate, walked in the feare
of God, and loved peace. Hee lived 79.
yeeres, and dyed (without issue) in the
faith of Iesus Christ, the 19. day of May,
Anno Dom. 1590
. Whose godly end
was a true testimony of his vertuous life.
Here lyeth buried also Dame Alice, the
first wife of the said Sir Thomas Ram-
sey
, she being eldest daughter to Bevis
Lea
of Enfield in the County of Staf-
ford
, Gent. Vnto whom hee was married
37. yeeres: and having lived 85. yeeres,
she departed this life the 18. day of Ia-
nuary, An. Dom. 1577
.
Dame Mary, the second wife to the said
Sir Thomas Ramsey, was eldest daugh-
ter to William Dale of Bristoll, Mer-
chant, unto whom he was married 12.
yeeres. In regard therefore of so worthy a
Knight, and his two vertuous Ladies:
This Monument is heere placed, by the
Executors to the said Sir Thomas Ram-
sey
, the 18. day of November, Anno
Dom. 1596
.
Thus have yee seven Parish Chur-
ches in this Ward; one Hall of a Com-
pany; divers faire houses for Merchants;
and other Monuments none. It hath an
Alderman, his Deputy; Common-Counsellors,
8. Constables, 15. Scaven-
gers, 9. Men of the Wardmote inquest,
17. and a Beadle. It is taxed to the Fif-
teene, in the Exchequer, at 20. l. 9. s.
8. d.

Cite this page

MLA citation

Stow, John, Anthony Munday, Anthony Munday, and Humphrey Dyson. The Survey of London (1633): Langborne Ward. The Map of Early Modern London, edited by Janelle Jenstad, U of Victoria, 26 Jun. 2020, mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1633_LANG1.htm.

Chicago citation

Stow, John, Anthony Munday, Anthony Munday, and Humphrey Dyson. The Survey of London (1633): Langborne Ward. The Map of Early Modern London. Ed. Janelle Jenstad. Victoria: University of Victoria. Accessed June 26, 2020. https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1633_LANG1.htm.

APA citation

Stow, J., Munday, A., Munday, A., & Dyson, H. 2020. The Survey of London (1633): Langborne Ward. In J. Jenstad (Ed), The Map of Early Modern London. Victoria: University of Victoria. Retrieved from https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1633_LANG1.htm.

RIS file (for RefMan, EndNote etc.)

Provider: University of Victoria
Database: The Map of Early Modern London
Content: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

TY  - ELEC
A1  - Stow, John
A1  - Munday, Anthony
A1  - Munday, Anthony
A1  - Dyson, Humphrey
ED  - Jenstad, Janelle
T1  - The Survey of London (1633): Langborne Ward
T2  - The Map of Early Modern London
PY  - 2020
DA  - 2020/06/26
CY  - Victoria
PB  - University of Victoria
LA  - English
UR  - https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1633_LANG1.htm
UR  - https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/xml/standalone/stow_1633_LANG1.xml
ER  - 

RefWorks

RT Web Page
SR Electronic(1)
A1 Stow, John
A1 Munday, Anthony
A1 Munday, Anthony
A1 Dyson, Humphrey
A6 Jenstad, Janelle
T1 The Survey of London (1633): Langborne Ward
T2 The Map of Early Modern London
WP 2020
FD 2020/06/26
RD 2020/06/26
PP Victoria
PB University of Victoria
LA English
OL English
LK https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1633_LANG1.htm

TEI citation

<bibl type="mla"><author><name ref="#STOW6"><surname>Stow</surname>, <forename>John</forename></name></author>, <author><name ref="#MUND1"><forename>Anthony</forename> <surname>Munday</surname></name></author>, <author><name ref="#MUND1"><forename>Anthony</forename> <surname>Munday</surname></name></author>, and <author><name ref="#DYSO1"><forename>Humphrey</forename> <surname>Dyson</surname></name></author>. <title level="a">The Survey of London (1633): Langborne Ward</title>. <title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title>, edited by <editor><name ref="#JENS1"><forename>Janelle</forename> <surname>Jenstad</surname></name></editor>, <publisher>U of Victoria</publisher>, <date when="2020-06-26">26 Jun. 2020</date>, <ref target="https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1633_LANG1.htm">mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1633_LANG1.htm</ref>.</bibl>

Personography

Locations