Survey of London: Broad Street Ward

This document is currently in draft. When it has been reviewed and proofed, it will be published on the site.

View the draft document.

Please note that it is not of publishable quality yet.

THe next is Brodestreete warde, which begin
neth within Bishopsgate, from the water con
duite westward on both the sides of the streete, by Alhallowes Church to an iron grate on the Channell, which runneth into the watercourse of Walbrooke before ye come to the Posterne called Moregate: and this is the farthest west part of that Warde.
Then

137
Then haue yée Brodestreete, whereof the warde taketh name, which stretcheth out of the former streete, from the East corner of Alhallowes churchyard, somewhat South to the parish church of S. Peter the Poore on both sides, and then by the southgate of the Augustine Fryars west, downe Throkmorton street by the Drapers hall, into Lothburie, to another grate of iron ouer the channell there, whereby the water runneth into the course of Walbroke, certaine postes of timber are there set vp: and this is also the farthest West part of this ward, in the said street. Out of the which street runneth vp Barthlemew lane south to the north side of the Exchange, then more East out of the former stréet from ouer against the Fryers Augustines church south gate, runneth vp another parte of Brodestréet, south to a Pumpe ouer against S. Bennets church. Then haue ye one other stréete called Thrée néedle stréete, beginning at the well with two buckets, by Saint Martins Otoswich church wall. This streete runneth downe on both sides to Finkes lane, and halfe way vp that lane to a gate of a marchants house on the West side, but not so farre on the East, then the foresaid stréete, from this Finkes lane runneth downe by the Royall Exchange to the Stockes, and to a place formerly cal
led Scalding house, or Scalding wicke, but now Scalding Alley, by the West side whereof vnder the parish church of S. Mildred runneth the course of Walbrooke: and these be the bounds of this warde. Speciall Monuments therein are these: First the parish church of Alhallowes in the wall, so called of standing close to the wall of the cittie, in which haue béene buried Thomas Durrem Esquire, and Margaret his wife. On the other side of that street, amongst many proper houses possessed for the most parte by Cur
ryers is the Carpenters hall: which company was incorporated in the 17. yeare of King Edward the fourth.
Then East from the Curriers row, is a long and high wall of stone inclosing the North side of a large garden adioyning to as large an house, builded in the raigne of King Henry the eight, and of Edward the sixt, by Sir VVilliam Powlet, the Lord Trea
surer of England: through this garden which of old time consi
sted of diuers parts, now vnited, was sometimes a faire foote way,
Lane stopped vppe.
leading by the west end of the Augustine Fryers church straight North, and opened somewhat West from Alhallowes church a
gainst
London
K5

138
London wall towardes Moregate: which foote way had gates at eyther end locked vp euery night: but now the same be
ing taken into those gardens, the gates are closed vp with stone, whereby the people are forced to goe about by S. Peters church, and the East end of the said Friers Church, and all the said great place and garden of Sir VVilliam Powlet to London wall, and so to Moregate. This great house adioyning to the garden a
foresaid, stretcheth to the North corner of Brodestréete, and then turneth vp Brodestréete all that side to the East ende of the saide Fryers church. It was builded by the saide Lord Treasurer, in place of Augustine Fryers house, cloyster, and gardens &c. The Fryers church hee pulled not downe, but the west ende thereof in
closed from the stéeple, and quire is letten to the Dutch nation in London to bee their preaching place: the other parte, namely, the stéeple, quire and side yles hee reserued to housholde vses: as for stowage of corne, cole and other things, his sonne and heyre the Marquis of Winchester, sold the Monumentes of noble men there buried in great number, the pauing stone, and whatsoeuer (which cost many thousands) for one hundred pound, and in place thereof made fayre stabling for horses, he caused the lead to bee ta
ken off the roofes of the church, and laid tyle in place thereof, which exchange of leade for tyle, proued not so profitable as he looked for, but rather to his disaduantage.
On the East side of this Brodestreete, which is the backe part of Gresham house in Bishopsgate streete, bee placed eight proper Almes houses, builded of bricke and timber, by Sir Thomas Gresham Knight, for eight almes men there placed rent free, and receiue each of them by his gift vj.pound, xiij.shillings, iiij.pence, yearely for euer.
Next vnto Pawlet house, is the parish church of S. Peter the Poore, so called for a difference from other of that name, sometime peraduenture a poore parish, but at this present there bee many faire houses, possessed by rich marchants and other, buried in this church: Richard Fitz Williams marchant Taylor 1520. Sir William Roch Mayor, 1540. Martin Calthrope Mayor, 1588.
Then next haue ye the Augustine Fryers Church
Frier Augu
stines Church
, part whereof is the Dutch church.
aforesaide, a large thing hauing a most fine spired steeple, small, high, and streight, I haue not scene the like: this Church was founded by
Humfrey

136
2mol Humfrey Bohum Earle of Hereforde and Essex, in the yeare 1253. Reginald Cobham gaue his messuage in London to the enlarging thereof, in the yeare 1344. Humfrey Bohum Earle of Hereford and Essex reedified this Church in the yeare 1354. whose bodie was there buried in the quire. The small spired stee
ple of this church was ouerthrowne by tempest of winde, in the yeare 1362. but was raysed of newe as now it standeth, to the beautifying of the city: This house was valued at 57. pound &c. and was surrendered the 12. of Nouember, the 30. of Henry the eight.
There lye buried in this Friers church (amongst others) Ed
mond
first sonne to Ioane mother to king Richard the seconde, Guy de Maricke Earle of S. Paule, Dame Ide, wife to Sir Thomas West, Dame Margaret West, Stephen Lindericle Esquire, Sir Humfrey Bohum Earle of Hereford and Essex, Lord of Pembrooke, Richard the great Earle of Arundell, Sur
rey
, and Warren beheaded, 1397. Sir Edward Arundell, and Dame Elizabeth his wife, Sir Frauncis Courtney, Earle of Pembroke, which married Alice sister to the Earle of Oxford: Dame Lucie Knowles of Kent, Sir Peter Grinfers of France, the Lord Vere Earle of Oxford, Ambrose de Vere, son to the Earle of Oxforde, Sir Thomas Tadnam Knight, William Bourser, Lord Fitz Warren, Sir Thomas de la Lande Knight, Dame Ioane Noris the Ladie of Bedforde, Anne daughter to Iohn Vicount Welles, Walter Neuel Esquire, Sir Iohn Man
ners
Knight, the wife of Sir Dauid Cradocke knight, the mo
ther to the Lord Spencers wife, Sir Bartlemew Dadlegate,Iohn sonne to Sir Iohn Wingfield, Sir Walter Mewes, Ro
bert ne Wenton
Esquire, Philip Spencer sonne to Sir Hugh Spencer, Dame Isabell daughter to Sir Hugh. In the bodie of the church, Dame Iulian wife to Sir Richarde Lacie, Sir Thomas Courtney sonne to the Earle of Deuonshire, and by him his sister, wedded to Cheuerstone, the daughter of the Lord Beamont, two sonnes of Sir Thomas Morley, to wit William and Ralph, Sir William Talmage Knight, Nicholas Blondell Esquire, Sir Richard Chamberlaine Esquire, Iohn Halton gentleman, Sir Iohn Gifford Knight, Thomas Manningham Esquire, Sir William Kenude Knight, Sir William sonne to
Sir

140
Sir Thomas Terell, Iohn Surell gentleman. In the east wing Margaret Barentin gentlewoman, Iohn Spicer Esquire, and Letis his wife, Iohn le Percers Esquire, Roger Chibary Es
quire, Peter Morens Esquire, Thomas sonne to Sir William Beckland. Iames Cuthing Esquire, Iohn Chornet Esquire, William Kenley Esquire, Margery wife to Thomas Bande & daughter to Iohn Huch, the Lord Mawris of Barkeley, & Earle of Nothingham, and Dame Ioane his wife. In the west wing Sir Iohn Terrell, and Dame Katherine his wife, Sir Walter of Powle Knight, Sir Iohn Blanckwell and his wife, Dame Iane Sayne, daughter to Sir Iohn Lee, Sir Iohn Dawbeny, sonne and heyre to Sir Giles Dawbeny, William sonne to Sir Roger Scroope, Dame Ioane Dawbeny wife to Sir William Daw
beny
, Thomas Charles Esquire, Sir Iohn Dawbeny knight, and his sonne Robert, Sir Iames Bell Knight, Sir Oliuer Man
ny
Knight, Henry Desky Esquire, Sir Diones Mordaske Knight, Sir Bernard Rolingcort, Sir Peter Kayor knights, Sir William Tirell knight, Sir William his brother, William Col
lingborne
Esquire beheaded 1484. Sir Roger Clifford knight, Sir Thomas Coke Mayor in the yeare 1462. William Edward Mayor 1471. Sir Iohn Dawtry Knight 1519. Dame Marga
ret Rade
1510.
On the south side and at the West ende of this Church many fayre houses are builded, namely in Throgmorton street, one ve
rie large and spacious, builded in the place of olde and small tene
ments, by Thomas Cromwel mayster of the kings Iewel house, after that Mayster of the Rolles, then Lorde Cromwell Knight Lord priuie seale, Uicker Generall, Earle of Essex, high Cham
berlaine of England &c. This house being finished, and ha
uing some reasonable plot of ground left for a garden, he caused the pales of the gardens adioyning to the north part thereof on a sodaine to be taken downe 22. foote to be measured forth right in
to the north of euery mans ground, a line there to be drawne, a trench to be cast, a foundation laid, and a high bricke wall to be builded: my father had a garden there, he had also an house stan
ding close to his wall, this house they loosed from the ground, and carried on rowlers into my fathers garden, 22. foote ere my father
heard

141
heard thereof, no warning was giuen him, nor other aunswere when he heard thereof, and spake to the surueighers of that wirke, but that their mayster, Sir Thomas commanded them so to doe, no man durst go to argue the matter, but each man lost his land: and so much of mine owne knowledge haue I thought good to note, that the sodaine rising of some men, causeth them in some matters to forget themselues. The company of the Drapers in London bought this house, and now the same is their common hall, this company obtained of king Henry the sixt, in the 17. of his raign to be incorporate. Iohn Gidney was chosen to be their first M. & the 4. wardens were, I. Wotton, I. Darbie, Robert Breton, & T. Cooke. The armes
The Drapers armes.
granted to the said companie by Sir William Bridges Knight, first Gartier, or principall King at Armes of England in Blason are thus: Thrée sun beames issuing out of three clowds of flame, crowned with thrée crownes imperi
als of gold, vpon a shield Azure. From this hall on the same side downe to the grates and course of Walbrooke haue ye diuers faire houses for marchants and other, from the which grates, backe a
gaine on the other side in Lethbury (so called in record of Edward the third. the 38. yeare, (and now corruptly called Lothbury) are candlesticke founders placed, till ye come to Bartholemew lane, so called of S. Bartholmews church, at the southeast corner there
of. In this lane also are diuers fayre builded houses on both sides, and so likewise haue ye in the other stréete, which stretcheth from the Friers Augustins South gate, to the corner ouer against S. Bennets church. In this stréet amongst other fayre buildings the most ancient was of old time an house pertayning to the Abbot of S. Albons, Iohn Catcher Alderman now dwelleth there: then is there a large Frée schoole pertayning to the late dissolued Hospitall of S. Anthony: in this schoole hath béene many good schollers trai
ned vp Now in thrée néedle stréet, on the south part therof, the first monument at ye east end by the wel with 2. buckets or pump is the parish Church of S. Martin,
S. Martins O
toswich
a pa
rish church.
called Oteswich, of William Otes
wich
, and Iohn Otoswich his sonne new founders thereof. There be monuments in this Church, of William Constantine Alder
man, and Emme his wife. Katherine wife to Benedick Augu
stine
, Sir William Drifield knight, Iohn Oteswich and his
wife

142
wife, vnder a fayre monument on the south side, Iohn Churchman one of the Sheriffes in the yeare 1385. Richard Naylor Taylor Alderman 1483. Iames Falleron, Iohn Melchborne, Thomas Hey and Ellis his wife, William Clitherow and Margaret his wife, Oliuer and William sonnes to Iohn Woodrofe Esquire, Hugh Pemberton Taylor Alderman, 1500. and Katherine his wife, Mathew Pemberton Merchant Taylor about 1514. hee gaue 50. pound to the repayring of S. Laurence Chappell. The aforesaid Iohn Churchman for William and Iohn Oteswich by licence of Henry the fourth, the 6. of his raigne gaue the aduow
son or patronage of this church, foure messuages & 17. shops with the appurtenances in the parish of S. Martins Oteswich &c. to the maister and Wardens of Taylors and linnen armourers, kée
pers of the Gwild, and fraternitie of S. Iohn Baptist in London, and to their successors in perpetuall almes, to be imployed on the poore brethren and sisters: whereupon (adioyning vnto the West end of this parish church) the said maister & wardens builded about a proper quadrant or squared court, seuen almes houses,
Taylers and linnen armo
rers their alms houses.
where
in they placed seuen almes men, of that company, and their wiues (if they had wiues) each of these 7. of old time had xiiij.ď.the wéeke, but now of later time their stipend by the said mayster and War
dens hath béene augmented to the summe of xxvj..the quarter, which is v.pound iiij..the yeare to each of them besides coales, more to each of them xx.the yeare by gift of Walter Fish some
time mayster of that company and Taylor to her Maiestie.
Some smal distance from thence is the Merchant Taylors hal, pertayning to the Guilde and fraternitie of S. Iohn Baptist, time out of mind, called of Taylors,
Antiquity of the Taylors feast by au
thority.
and linnen armourers of London, for I find that King Edward the first in the 28. of his raygne con
firmed this Guild by the name of Tailors and linnen armourers: and also gaue to the brethren thereof authoritie euery yeare at midsommer to hold a feast,
A pilgrim to trauaile for the Taylers now called maister pur
ueyers of alms now called Wardens.
and to choose vnto them a gouernour, or mayster with Wardens: wherevpon the same yeare 1300. on the feast day of the natiuitie of Saynt Iohn Baptist, they chose Henry de Ryall to be their pilgrim for the mayster of this miste
rie (as one that trauelled for the whole companie) was then so called vntill the 11. of Richard the second: and the foure war
dens
were

143
were then called purueyors of alms, (now called quarterage) of the said fraternitie. This Marchant Taylors
Taylers pur
chase their hal.
hal sometime per
taining to a worshipfull gentleman named Edmond Crepin: he in the yeare of Christ 1331. the sixt of Edward the third, for a cer
taine summe of money to him paid, made his grant thereof by the name of his principall messuage in the wardes of Cornehill, and Brodestréet, which Sir Oliuer Ingham knight did then hold, to Ihon of Yakesley the kings pauilion maker. The 21. of Edward the fourth, Thomas Clarentius principall king of Herraldes, for the south parte of England, granted by his pattentes to the saide fraternitie and guilde of S. Ihon Baptist, of Taylors and linnen armourers,
The marchant Taylors armes
to beare in a field siluer, a pauilion betwéene two man
tels imperiall, purple, garnished with golde, in a chiefe Azure an holy lambe, set within a sunne, the creast vpon the helme, a paui
lion purple garnished with gold &c After this King Henry the se
uenth
, being himself a brother of this fraternity, or guild of S. Iohn Baptist of Tailors and linnen
Taylers & lin
nen armorers incorporate marchant Taylors.
armourers (as diuers other his pre
decessors Kinges before him had beene, to wit Rychard the third, Edward the fourth, Henry the sixt, Henry the fift, Henry the fourth, & Richard the second: And for that diuers of that fraterni
tie had time out of mind, beene great marchants, and had frequen
ted all sortes of marchandises into most partes of the world, to the honor of the kings realme, and to the great profit of his subiectes, & of his progenitors and the men of the said misterie during the time aforesaid, had exercised the buying and selling of all wares and merchandises, especially of woollen cloth, as well in grosse, as by retayle, throughout all this realme of England, and chiefly with
in the said citie, therefore he of his especiall grace did change, trans
ferre and translate the Guilde aforesaid, and did incorporate them into the name of the mayster and wardens of the Marchant Tay
lors, of the fraternity of S. Iohn Baptist in the citie of London.
Some distance West from this the Marchant Taylors hall, is Finkes lane, so called of Robert Finke, and Robert Finke his sonne, Iames Finke, and Rosamund Finke. Robert Finke the elder new builded the parish Church of Saint Bennet, commonly called Finke of the founder, his tenementes were both of Saint Bennets parish, and S. Martins Otelwich parish: the
one

144
one halfe of this Finke lane is of Brodestréete ward. to wit, on the west side vp to the great and principall house, and the same house wherein the said Finke dwelled: but on the other side namely the East not so much towardes Cornehill: then without this lane in the foresaid thrée néedle stréete, is the said parish Church of Saynt Bennet, a proper Church, in which are these monumentes of the deade. Robert Simpson and Elizabeth his wife, Roger Strange Esquire, Trerisse, William Coolby, Iohn Frey, Thomas Bri
ar
Plommer, 1410. &c.
Some distance west is the Royall Exchaunge, whereof more shalbe spoken in the warde of Cornehill, and so downe to the little Conduite, called the pissing Conduit, by the Stockes market, and this is the south side of thrée néedle stréete.
On the North side of this stréet from ouer against the East cor
ner of S. Martins Oteswich Church, haue ye diuers fayre and large houses till you come to the hospitall
Hospitall of S. Anthony sometime a Sinagogue of the Iewes.
of S. Anthony, some
time a Cell to S. Anthonies of Vienna. For I reade that King Henry the third graunted to the brotherhood of S. Anthony of Vienna, a place amongst the Iewes, which was sometime their Sinagogue,
Patent record.
and had béene builded by them about the yeare 1231 but the christians obtayned of the king that it should be dedicated to our blessed Lady, and since an Hospital being there builded, was called S. Anthonies in London: it was founded in the parish of S. Bennet Finke, for a mayster, two priestes, one schoolemayster, and 12. poore men: after this foundation amongst other thinges giuen to this Hospitall, one was a messuage and garden, and one other parcell of ground contained 37. foote in length, and 18. foot in breadth in the parish of S3. Bennet Finke: this was giuen to the Mayster of the Hospitall, to the enlarging of their Church and house to the same belonging, for a maister, fourtéene priests, &c. in the seuenth of Henry the sixt. Moreouer king Henry the sixt, in the twentieth of his raigne gaue vnto Iohn Carpenter Doctor of diuinity, maister of S. Anthonies hospital, and to his brethren and their successors for euer his mannor of Poninghton with the apur
tenances, with certain pensions & portions of Milborn, Turne
worth, Charlton
, & vp Wimborne, in ye county of Southhāpton towards ye maintenance of 5. schollers in the vniuersity of Oxford
to

145
to be brought vp in the facultie of artes, after the rate of ten pence the weeke, for euerie Scholler: so that the saide Schollers before their going to Oxforde, bee first instructed in their rudimentes of Grammar, at the Colledge of Eaton, founded by the saide king.
In the yeare 1474. Edward the fourth granted to VVilliam Say, Batcheler of Diuinitie, maister of the Hospitall of S. Antho
ny
, to haue Priests, Clarkes, Schollers, poore men, and Bre
thren of the same Clarks or Lay men, Queristers, Procters, Mes
sengers, Seruantes in Houshold, and other things whatsoeuer, the like as the Prior and Couent of S. Anthonies, of Vienna, &c. This Hospitall was annexed, vnited, and appropriated vnto the Colegiate Church of S. George in Windsor, aboute the yeare 1485, (as was reported) by Sir Anthonie Baker (maister of the saide Hospitall,) to Sir Iohn Wolsborne knight, and other com
missioners in the seauen and thirtith of Henry the eight, since the saide annexing, to wit in the yeare 1499 the foureteenth of Hen
ry
the seuenth
, Sir Iohn Tate sometime Ale Bruer, then a Mer
ser, caused his Brue house called the Swan, neare adioyning to the saide, Frée Chappell, Colledge, or Hospitall, of S. Anthonie, to bée taken down, for the enlarging of the Church, which was then newly builded: toward the building whereof the saide Tate gaue greate sommes of money.
This goodly foundation hauing a free schoole and Almeshouses
Free Schoole and Almose
houses.
for poore men (builded of hard stone) adioyning to the west end of the Church, was of olde time confirmed by Henry the sixt in the yeare 1447. The outward worke of this new church was fi
nished in the yeare 1501. the saide Iohn Tate deceased about the yeare 1514. and was there buried in a monument by him prepa
red, as appeareth by an indenture tripartite, made betwéene the saide Iohn Tate, the Deane of Windsor, and William Mil
borne
Chamberlaine.
VValter Champion Draper, one of the Sheriffes of Lon
don
, 1529. was buried there, and gaue to the Beademen twen
tie pound. The lands by yeare of this Hospitall were valued in the seauen and thirtie of Henry the eight to be fifety fiue pound, six shillinges eight pence.
One Iohnson (a Schoolemaister there) became a Prehenda
rie
rie
L

146
rie of Windsor, and then by little and little followed the spoile of this Hospitall: he first dissolued the Quire, conueyed the plate and ornamentes, then the Bels, and lastlie put out the Almes men
Almes men put from their houses at S. Anthonies Hospitall
from their houses, appointing them portions of twelue pence the weeke to each (but now I heare of no such matter) their hou
ses with other be now letten out for rent, and the Church is a preaching place for the French nation.
This Schoole house was commanded in the raigne of Henry the sixt, and sithence also aboue other: but now it is decay
ed, and come to nothing, by taking from it, what thereun
to belonged. Next is the Parrish Church of Saint Bartilmew at the ende of Bartlemew Lane, Thomas Pike Alderman, with the helpe of Nicholas Yoo, one of the Sheriffes of London, in the yeare 1438. new builded this church, and were there buried: Sir Iohn Frey knight, and Alderban, a Gascoyne, were buried there. Sir William Cappell Maior, 1509. added vnto this Church a proper Chappel on the south side thereof, and was buried there: Sir Giles Chapple, Iames Wilforde. Taylor, one of the Sheriffes, 1499. appointed by his Testament, a Doctor of Diuinity, euery Good Fryday, for euer to preach there, of Christes Passion, from six of the clocke, till 8. before noone, in the said Church: Iohn Wilforde Marchant-Taylor Alderman, 1544. Sir Iames Wilforde, 1550. Sir George Barne Mayor, 1552. &c.
Then lower downe towardes the Stockes market is the par
rish Church of S. Christopher, but reedified to new: for Richard Shore one of the Sheriffes, 1506. gaue money towardes the building of the steeple. There lye buried Richarde Sherington 1392. who gaue landes to that Church: the Lady Margaret Norforde 1406. Iohn Clauering 1421. who gaue lands there
vnto: Iohn Gidney Maior, 1427. William Hampton Maior, 1472. was a great benefactor, and glased some of the Church windowes, Sir William Martin Maior 1492. Roger Achley Maior, 1511. Robert Thorne Marchant Taylor, 1532. hee gaue by his Testament in Charity more then foure thousand four hundred forty fiue pound. Iohn Norryholme, Ralph Batte, Allice Perciuall, Iane Drew, William Borresbie, Iohn Becke
Richard

147
Richard Sutten, William Batte, Iames Well, Henry Beacher Alderman, 1570.
West from this Church haue ye Skalding Alley, of olde time, called Skalding house, or Skalding Wike, because that ground for the most part was then imployed by Poulters, that dwelled in the high streete, from the Stockes market to the great Con
duit
. Their Poultrie which they sold at their stalles were skal
ded there, the streete doth yet beare the name of the Poultrie, and the Poulters are but lately departed from thence into other streets as into Grasse streete, and to the endes of S. Nicholas flesh shambles. This Skalding Wike is the farthest west part of Brodestreete ward, and is by the water called Walbrooke, par
ted from Cheape warde: this Brodestreete warde hath an Al
derman with his Deputie, common Counsellors ten, Constables ten, Scauengers eight, Wardmote inquest thirteene, and a Bea
dle. It is taxed to the fifteene, in London, at seauen and twentie pound, and accounted in the Exchequer after twentie fiue pound.

Notes

  1. Unclear; context obvious. (SM)
  2. Page number should read 139. It appears the 9 is upside down. (NAP)
  3. Letter unclear; context obvious. (SM)
  4. I.e. Scalding (SM)

Cite this page

MLA citation

Stow, John, and William fitz Stephen. Survey of London: Broad Street Ward. The Map of Early Modern London, edited by Janelle Jenstad, U of Victoria, 20 Jun. 2018, mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_BROA3.htm.

Chicago citation

Stow, John, and William fitz Stephen. Survey of London: Broad Street Ward. The Map of Early Modern London. Ed. Janelle Jenstad. Victoria: University of Victoria. Accessed June 20, 2018. http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_BROA3.htm.

APA citation

Stow, J., & fitz Stephen, W. 2018. Survey of London: Broad Street Ward. In J. Jenstad (Ed), The Map of Early Modern London. Victoria: University of Victoria. Retrieved from http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_BROA3.htm.

RIS file (for RefMan, EndNote etc.)

Provider: University of Victoria
Database: The Map of Early Modern London
Content: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

TY  - ELEC
A1  - Stow, John
A1  - fitz Stephen, William
ED  - Jenstad, Janelle
T1  - Survey of London: Broad Street Ward
T2  - The Map of Early Modern London
PY  - 2018
DA  - 2018/06/20
CY  - Victoria
PB  - University of Victoria
LA  - English
UR  - http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_BROA3.htm
UR  - http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/xml/standalone/stow_1598_BROA3.xml
ER  - 

RefWorks

RT Web Page
SR Electronic(1)
A1 Stow, John
A1 fitz Stephen, William
A6 Jenstad, Janelle
T1 Survey of London: Broad Street Ward
T2 The Map of Early Modern London
WP 2018
FD 2018/06/20
RD 2018/06/20
PP Victoria
PB University of Victoria
LA English
OL English
LK http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_BROA3.htm

TEI citation

<bibl type="mla"><author><name ref="#STOW6"><surname>Stow</surname>, <forename>John</forename></name></author>, and <author><name ref="#FITZ1"><forename>William</forename> <surname><nameLink>fitz</nameLink> Stephen</surname></name></author>. <title level="a">Survey of London: Broad Street Ward</title>. <title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title>, edited by <editor><name ref="#JENS1"><forename>Janelle</forename> <surname>Jenstad</surname></name></editor>, <publisher>U of Victoria</publisher>, <date when="2018-06-20">20 Jun. 2018</date>, <ref target="http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_BROA3.htm">mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_BROA3.htm</ref>.</bibl>

Personography

Locations