167
BRidgewarde within, so called of London
Bridge
, which Bridge is a principall parte,
of that warde, and beginneth at the stulpes
on the southende by Southwarke, runneth
along the bridge, and North vp Bridge
streete
, commonly called (of the Fishmar
ket) New Fishstreete, from Fishstreete hil,
vp Grassestreete, to the North corner of
Grasse Church, all the bridge is replenished on both the sides with
large, fayre and beautifull buildings, inhabitants for the most part,
rich Marchantes, and other wealthie Citizens, Mercers and Ha
berdashers
.
In new fishstreete be Fishmongers, and fayre Tauerns: on
Fishstreete hill, and Grassestreete, men of diuers Trades, Gro
cers
and Habardashers.
In Grassestreete haue yee one fayre Conduite of sweete wa
ter, castellated with Crest and Uente, made there by the appoint
ment of Thomas Hill Maior in the yeare 1484. who gaue by
his Testament, one hundred markes towardes the conuayance
of water
Water Con
duiThis text is the corrected text. The original is r (KL)te in
Grassestreete.
to this place. It was begunne by his Executors, in the
yeare, 1491. and finished of his goodes whatsoeuer it cost.
On the east side of this Bridge warde, haue yee the fayre
Parrish Church of S. Magnus, in the which church haue béene
buried many men of good worship, whose monumentes are now
for the most part vtterly defaced. I find Henrie Yeuele Free
mason to Edwarde the thirde, Richarde the second, and Henry
the fourth
, who deceased 1400. his monuments yet remaineth:
VVilliam Bramptō, Iohn Michel Mayor 1436 Iohn French
Baker, Yeoman of the Crowne, to H. the 7. 1510 Robert
Clarke
Fishmonger 1521. Richard Turke one of the Sheriffs
1549. VVilliam Steede Alderman, Richard Morgan knight,
chiefe Iustice of the common place 1556, Robert Branch Gird
ler, 1567. Robert Belgraue Girdler, VVilliam Brame, Iohn
Couper
Fishmonger Aldermā, who was put by his turn of Maio-
M4
ratly

168
ratly deceased, 1571. in the parish of S. Christopher, but was
buried there, as in the Parish where hee was borne. Robert Har
ding
Salter one of the Sheriffes, 1568. Symon Low, Mar
chant Taylor Esquier.
Then is the parrish Church of S. Margaret on Fishstreete
hill
, a proper Church, but monumentes it hath none: a foote
way passeth by the South side of this Church, from Fishstreete hil
into Rotherlane. Up higher on this hil is the parish Church of S.
Leonard
, Milke church so termed of one VVilliam Melker, an
especiall builder thereof, but commonly called S. Leonardes in
East Cheape
, because it standeth at East Cheape corner. Mo
numentes there bee of the Doggetes, namelie, VValter Dog
get
Uintner, one of the Sheriffes, 1380. Iohn Dogget Uintner,
and Allice his wife, about 1456. this Iohn Dogget gaue lands
to that Church, VVilliam Dogget, &c.
This Church, and from thence into little East cheape to the
east ende of the saide Church, is of the Bridge warde.
Then higher in Grassestreete is the parish Church of Saint
Bennet
, called Grasse Church,
This text is the corrected text. The original is G (KL)Parish church
This text has been supplied. Reason: Omitted from the original text due to a printing or typesetting error. Evidence: The text has been supplied based on evidence internal to this text (context, etc.). (KL)of S. Bennet.
This text has been supplied. Reason: Omitted from the original text due to a printing or typesetting error. Evidence: The text has been supplied based on evidence internal to this text (context, etc.). (SM)Grasse church,
Customes of
Grasse streete
market
.
of the Herbe market there kept:
this Church also is of the Bridge warde, and the farthest North
end thereof: some monumentes remaine there vndefaced, as of
Iohn Harding Salter, 1576. Iohn Sturgeon, Chamberlaine
of London, &c. The customes of Grasse church market, in the
raigne of Edwarde the third, as I haue reade in a booke of Cu
stomes were these: euery Forren cart laden with corne, or mault
comming thether to be solde, was to pay one halfe pennie, euery
Forren cart bringing cheese two pence euerie cart of corn & cheese
together, (if the cheese be more worth then the corn) two pence,
and if the corne bee more worth then the cheese, it was to pay a
halfepennie, of two horses laden with corne or maulte, the Bay
liffe had one farthing, the cart of the Franchise of the Temple and
of S. Martins le grand, payed a Farthing: the cart of the Hos
pitall of S. Iohn of Ierusalem
, paide nothing for their proper
goodes, and if the corne were brought by Marchants of sel againe,
the loade paid a halfepennie, &c.
On the west side of this ward, at the north end of London bridge
is a part of Thames streete, which is also of this warde, to wit so
much as of old time was called Stocke Fishmonger Row, of the
Stocke

169
stockfishmongers dwelling there, downe west to a water gate, of
old time called Ebgate, since Ebgatelane, & now The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified form.ye old swan, which
is a common stayre on The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified form.ye Thames, but the passage is very narrow
by meanes of incrochments. On this south side of Thames stréet
about the midway betwixt the bridge foote, and Ebgate lane, stan
deth the Fishmongers hall, and diuers other fayre houses for mar
chants. These Fishmongers were sometime of two seuerall com
panies, to wit, Stocke-fishmongers, and salt fishmongers, and
were vnited in the yeare 1536. in the 28. of Henry the eight,
their Hall to be but one, in the house giuen vnto them by the Lord
Fanhope
, in the parish of S. Michael Crooked lane, whereas be
fore they had seueral halles, in Thames stréet twaine, in new fish
stréet
twain, & in old fish stréet twain, in all six seueral halles. This
company was so great as I have read in the recordes of the To
wer
: now worne out of knowledge to the company,
Fishmongers
had sixe seue
rall halles.
who bee
not able so much as to shewe the reason, why they were ioyned
in fellowshippe with the Goldsmithes, and doe giue their armes,
&c. On that south side of Thames stréete, haue ye Drinkwa
ter wharfe
, and Fish Wharfe in the parish of S. Magnus. On
the North side of Thames street is S. Martins lane, a parte of
which lane is also of this ward, to wit, on the one side to a well of
water, and on the other side as farre vp as against the said well.
Then is S. Michaels lane, part whereof is also of this Warde
vp to a well there &c. Then at the vpper end of new fishstreete,
is a lane turning towards S. Michaels lane, and is called crooked
lane
, of the crooked windings thereof. Aboue this lanes end, vp
on Fishstréet hill, is one great house, for the most part builded
Edward the
black prince.
of
stone, which pertained somtime to Edward the black prince, son to
Edward The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified form.ye 3. who was in his life time, lodged there. It is now al
tered to a common hosterie, hauing the black bel for a signe: Aboue
this house at the top of fishstréet hill is a turning into great East
chepe
, and so vp to the corner of Lombard street, ouer against the
Northwest corner of Grasse church, and these be the whole bounds
of this Bridge ward within: the which hath an Alderman and
his deputie, for the Common counsaile 16. Constables 15. Sca
uingers 6. for the Wardemote inquest 16. and a Beadle. It is
taxed to the fifteene in London at fifty pound, and in the exchec
quer at 49. pound, ten shillings.
Candle-

Cite this page

MLA citation

Stow, John, and William fitz-Stephen. Survey of London (1598): Bridge Ward Within. The Map of Early Modern London, Edition 6.6, edited by Janelle Jenstad, U of Victoria, 30 Jun. 2021, mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/6.6/stow_1598_BRID3.htm.

Chicago citation

Stow, John, and William fitz-Stephen. Survey of London (1598): Bridge Ward Within. The Map of Early Modern London, Edition 6.6. Ed. Janelle Jenstad. Victoria: University of Victoria. Accessed June 30, 2021. mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/6.6/stow_1598_BRID3.htm.

APA citation

Stow, J., & fitz-Stephen, W. 2021. Survey of London (1598): Bridge Ward Within. In J. Jenstad (Ed), The Map of Early Modern London (Edition 6.6). Victoria: University of Victoria. Retrieved from https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/editions/6.6/stow_1598_BRID3.htm.

RIS file (for RefMan, RefWorks, EndNote etc.)

Provider: University of Victoria
Database: The Map of Early Modern London
Content: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

TY  - ELEC
A1  - Stow, John
A1  - fitz-Stephen, William
ED  - Jenstad, Janelle
T1  - Survey of London (1598): Bridge Ward Within
T2  - The Map of Early Modern London
ET  - 6.6
PY  - 2021
DA  - 2021/06/30
CY  - Victoria
PB  - University of Victoria
LA  - English
UR  - https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/6.6/stow_1598_BRID3.htm
UR  - https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/6.6/xml/standalone/stow_1598_BRID3.xml
ER  - 

TEI citation

<bibl type="mla"><author><name ref="#STOW6"><surname>Stow</surname>, <forename>John</forename></name></author>, and <author><name ref="#FITZ1"><forename>William</forename> <surname>fitz-Stephen</surname></name></author>. <title level="a">Survey of London (1598): Bridge Ward Within</title>. <title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title>, Edition <edition>6.6</edition>, edited by <editor><name ref="#JENS1"><forename>Janelle</forename> <surname>Jenstad</surname></name></editor>, <publisher>U of Victoria</publisher>, <date when="2021-06-30">30 Jun. 2021</date>, <ref target="https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/6.6/stow_1598_BRID3.htm">mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/6.6/stow_1598_BRID3.htm</ref>.</bibl>

Personography

Locations