329
Bridge ward without (the 26. in num
ber) consisting of the Borough of Southwarke
in the Countie of Surrey.
HAuing treated of Wardes in London, on the
North side the Thames (in number 25.) I am
now to crosse ouer the said Riuer into the Bo
rough of Southwarke
, which is also a Warde
of London, without the walles, on the south
side thereof, as is Portsoken on the East, and
Faringdon extra on the West.
This Borough being in the countie of Surrey, consisteth of
diuers stréetes, wayes, and winding lanes, all full of buildings, in
habited: and first to begin at the West part thereof, ouer against
the West suburbe of the Citie.
On the banke of the riuer Thames, there is now a continuall
building of tenementes, about halfe a mile in length to the bridge.1
Then from the bridge straight towardes the South a continuall
stréete, called long Southwarke, builded on both sides with diuers
lanes and alleyes vp to S. Georges church, and beyond it through
Blackman stréete, towardes new towne, (or Newington) the li
berties of which Borough extend almost to the parish Church of
New towne
, aforesaid distant one mile from London bridge: and
also Southwest almost to Lambith more then one mile from the
said bridge. Then from the bridge along by the Thames East
wardes is S. Olaues stréet hauing continuall building on both the
sides, with lanes and alleyes vp to Battle bridge, to Horsedowne,
and towardes Rother hith: also some good halfe mile in length
from London bridge.
So that I accompt the whole continual buildings on the banke
of the said riuer, from the West towardes the East to be more then
a large mile in length.
Then haue ye from the entring towards the saide Horsedowne
one other continuall street called Bermondes eye stréete, which
stretcheth South, likewise furnished with buildings on both sides,
almost halfe a mile in length, vp to the late dissolued Monasterie
of

330
of S. Sauiour called Bermondsey. And from thence is one long lane
(so called of the length) turning West to Saint Georges
church
afore named. Out of the which late mentioned long lane
breaketh one other street towardes the South, and by East, and
this is called Kentish stréet, for that it is the way leading into that
countrey: and so haue you the boundes of this Borough.
The Antiquities most notable in this Borough are these: first
for ecclesiasticall, there was Beremondsey, an Abbey
An Abbey.
of blacke
Monkes, S. Mary Oueries, a Priorie
A Priorie.
of Channons Regular, S.
Thomas
a colledge or Hospitall
A colledge & Hospitall.
for the poore, & the Loke a Lazar
house in Kent stréet. Parish churches
A lazar house Parish chur
ches.
there haue béen 6. wherof 5.
do remaine viz. S. Mary Magdalens in the Priorie of S. Mary
Ouerie
. Now the same S. Marie Ouery is the parish Church
for the said Mary Magdalen, and for S. Margaret on the hill, and
is called S. Sauiour.
S. Margaret on the hill being put downe, is now a Court for
Iustice, S. Thomas in the Hospitall serueth for a parish Church
as afore. S. George a parish church as before it did: so doeth S.
Olaue
, and S. Mary Magdalen by the Abbey of Bermondsey.
There be also these fiue prisons or gaoles.
And the White Lyon, all in long Southwarke.
Houses most notable be these.
The Tabard, an Hosterie or Inne.
The Abbot of Hyde his house.
The Abbot of Battaile his house.
The

331
The Stewes on the banke of the Thames.
And the Beare gardens there.
Now to returne to the West banke, there be the two Beare
gardens
, the old and new places wherein be kept Beares, Bulles,
and other beastes, to be bayted. As also Mastiues in seuerall ke
nels are there nourished to bait them. These Beares and other
beastes are there bayted in plottes of grounde, scaffolded about for
the beholders to stand safe.
Next on this banke was sometime the Bordello (or Stewes)
a place so called,
Liber mane script.
of certaine stew
The stew on the bank side.
houses priuiledged there, for the
repaire of incontinent men to the like women of the which priui
ledge, I haue read thus.
In a Parliament holden at Westminster the 8. of Henry the
second
, it was ordayned by the commons and confirmed, by the
King and Lordes, that diuers constitutions for euer should be kept
within that Lordship or franchise, according to the old customes
that had béene there vsed time out of mind. Amongst the which,
these following were some, viz. That no stewholder or his wife
should let or stay any single woman to go and come fréely at all
times when they listed.
No stewholder to keepe any woman to borde, but she to borde
abroad at her pleasure.
To take no more for the womans chamber in the wéeke then
fourtéene pence.
Not to keepe open his dores vpon the holy daies.
Not to keepe any single woman in his house on the holy daies,
but the Bailiefe to sée them voided out to the Lordship.
No single woman to be kept against her will that would leaue
her sinne.
No stewholder to receiue any woman of religion, or any mans
wife.
No single woman to take money to lie with any man, but she
lie with him all night till the morrow.
No man to be drawne or inticed into any stewhouse.
The Constables, Bailife, and others euery weeke to search e
uery stewhouse.
No

332
No Stewholder to keepe any woman that hath the perillous
infirmitie of burning, nor to sell bread, ale, flesh, fish, wood, coale
or any victuailes, &c.
These and many more orders were to be obserued, vpon great
payne and punishment: I haue also séene diuers Pattents of con
firmation,
LIS. Mary Eborum.
namely one dated 1345. the ninetéenth of Edward
the third
. Also I find that in the fourth of Rychard the seconde,
these Stewhouses belonging to VVilliam VValworth then
Mayor of London, were farmed by Froes of Flaunders,
English peo
ple disdained to be baudes: Froes of Flaū
ders were wo
men for that purpose.
and
were spoyled by Walter Teighler, and other rebelles of Kent:
Notwithstanding I finde that ordinances for the the same place,
and houses were againe confirmed in the raigne of Henry the
sixt
to be continued as before. Also Robert Fabian writeth that
in the yeare 1506. the 21. of Henry the seuenth, the said stewe
houses
Stewhouses put downe by Henry the 7. for a time.
in Southwarke were for a season inhibited, and the dores
closed vp, but it was not long (saith he) ere the houses there were
set open againe for so many as were permitted, for (as it was
said) whereas before were eightéene houses, from thenceforth
were appointed to be vsed but twelue onely. These allowed stew
houses had signes
Signes on the stewhouses.
on their frontes, towardes the Thames, not
hanged out, but painted on the walles, as a Beares heade, the
Crosse Keyes, the Gunne, the Castle, the Crane, the Cardinals
Hatte
, the Bell, the Swanne, &c. I haue heard auncient men of
good credit report, that these single women were forbidden the
rightes of the Church,
Single women forbidden rightes of the church.
so long as they continued that sinfull life,
and were excluded from Christian buriall, if they were not recon
ciled before their death. And therefore there was a plot of ground,
(called the single womans Churchyard) appointed for them, farre
from the parish Church.
In the yeare of Christ 1546. the 37. of Henry the eight, this
row of stewes in Southwarke was put downe
Stewhouses put downe.
by the kings com
mandement, which was proclaymed by sounde of Trumpet, no
more to be priuiledged, and vsed as a common Bordell, but the
inhabitantes of the same to keepe good and honest rule as in other
places of this realme &c.
Then next is the Clinke, a Gayle or prison for the trespassers
in those parts, Namely in old time for such as should brabble, frey,
or

333
breake the peace on the said banke, or in the Brothell houses, they
were by the inhabitants there about apprehended, and committed
to this Gayle, where they were straightly imprisoned.
Next is the Bishoppe of Winchesters house, or lodging, when
hee commeth to this Cittie: which house was first builded by
William Gifford, Bishoppe of Winchester, about the 1107.
the seuenth of Henry the first, vpon a plot of grounde pertayning
to the Prior of Bermondsey, as appeareth by a writte directed
vnto the Barons of the Exchequer, in the yeare one thouſande
thrée hundred ſixtie ſixe
, the one and fortieth yeare of Edward the
third
, (the Bishops Sea being voide) for 8. £. due to the Monkes
Bermondsey, for the Bishop of Winchesters lodging in South
warke
. This is a very fayre house well repayred, and hath a large
wharfe and landing place called the Bishoppe of Winchesters
staires
.
Adioyning to this on the South side thereof is the Bishoop of
Rochesters Inne or lodging
by whome first erected, I doe not
now remember mee to haue read, but well I wot the same of long
time hath not béene frequented by any Bishop, and lyeth ruinous
for lacke of reparations.
East from the Bishop of Winchesters house directly ouer against
it, standeth a faire Church, called Saynt Mary, ouer the Rye, or
Ouerie,that is ouer the water.
S. Mary Oue
ries
a Priorie, and now a parish church.
This Church or some other in
place thereof was of olde time (long before the conquest) an house
of sisters, founded by a maiden named Mary, vnto the which house
and sisters she left (as was left to her by her parentes) the ouer
sight, and profites of a crosse ferrie or trauerse ferrie ouer the
Thames, there kept before that any bridge was builded. This
house of sisters was after by Swithen, a noble Ladie, conuerted
vnto a Colledge of Priestes, who in place of the ferrie builded a
bridge of timber, and from time to time kept the same in good re
parations, but lastly the same bridge was builded of stone, and
then was this church againe founded for Channons Regular, by
William Pont de le Arche, and William Dauncy, Knightes,
Normans.
William Gifford Bishop of Winchester was a good benefactor
also

334
also: for hee (as some haue noted) builded the bodie of that church
in the years 1106. the seuenth of Henry the first.
The Cannons first entred the said Church then.
Liber Rufen. Liber Ber
mondsey.
King Stephen confirmed the gift of king Henry, and also gaue
the stone house, which was Williams de Pont le Arche by
Downegate.
This Priorie was burned about the yere 1207. wherefore the
Chanons did found an Hospitall néere vnto their Priorie, where
they celebrated vntill the Priorie was repaired: which Hospitall
was after by consent of Peter de la Roch Bishop of Winchester
remoued into the lande of Anicius Archdeacon of Surrey in the
yeare 1228. a place where the water was more plentifull, and
the ayre more holesome, and was dedicate to S. Thomas.
This Peter de Rupibus, or de la Roche founded a large chap
pell of S. Mary Magdalen
in the said Church of S. Mary Ouery,
which Chappel was after appointed to be the parish church for the
inhabitants neere adioyning.
This Church was againe newly builded, in the raigne of Ri
chard the second
and King Henry the fourth.
Iohn Gower
Iohn Gower was no knight neither had he any garland of Iuie & Roses but a Chaplet of foure Roses onely.
a learned Gentleman and a famous Poet, (but
no knight as some haue mistaken it) was then as especiall bene
factor to that worke, and was there buried on the North side of the
said church vnder a tombe of stone, with his image also of stone
lying ouer him: The haire of his heade aburne, long to his shol
ders, but curling vp, a small forked bearde, and on his head a chap
let, like a Coronet of foure Roses, therevpon an habite of purple,
damasked downe to his féet, a collar of Esses gold about his necke,
vnder his heade the likenesse of thrée bookes, which hee compiled.
The first named Speculum Meditantis, written in French:
The second Vox clamantis penned in Latine. The third Con
fessio Amantis
, set forth in English.
This Priorie was surrendred to Henry the eight, the 31. of
his raigne
, the 27. of October, the yeare of Chriſt 1539. and was
valued at 624. pounde, sixe shillinges sixe pence by the yeare.
About

334
About Christmasse next following, the church of the saide Priorie
was purchased of the King by the inhabitantes of the Borough.
Doctor Stephen Gardiner Bishop of Winchester putting to his
helping hande, they made thereof a parish church,
Priorie of S. Marie Ouery made a parish church.
for the parish
church of S. Mary Magdalen
, on the south side of the said quire,
and of S. Margaret on the hill which were made one parish of S.
Sauiour
.
Now passing through S. Mary Ouers close, (in possession of the
Lord Mountacute) and Pepper Alley into long Southwarke, on
the right hand thereof the Market hill, where the leather is solde,
there stood the late named parish church of S. Margaret,
S. Margaret on the hill made a Court of Iustice.
giuen to
S. Mary Oueries by Henry the first, put downe and ioyned with
the parish of S. Mary Magdaline, and vnited to the late dissolued
Priorie church of S. Mary Ouery.
A part of this parish church of S. Margaret is now a Court, &
wherein the Assises & sessions be kept, and the Court of Admiraltie
is also there kept. One other part of the same church is now a pri
son called the Compter in Southwarke, &c.
Farther vp on that side, almost directly ouer against S. Georges
church
was sometime a large and most sumptuous house, builded
by Charles Brandon late Duke of Suffolke, in the raign of Hen
ry
the eight
, which was called Suffolke house, but comming af
terwardes into the Kinges hands, the same was called South
warke place
, and a Mint
A mint in Southwarke.
of coynage was there kept for the king.
To

336
To this place came king Edward the sixt, in the seconde of his
raigne
, from Hampton Court, and dined in it. He at which time
made Iohn Yorke one of the Sheriffes of London knight, and
then rode through the cittie to Westminster.
Queene Mary gaue this house to Nicholas Heth Archbishop
of Yorke, and to his successors for euer, so be their Inne (or lodg
ing for their repaire to London in recompence of Yorke house
neare to Westminster, which King Henry her father had taken
from Cardinall Wolsey, and from the sea of Yorke.
Archbishop Heth hath sold the same house to a merchant, or to
certaine merchants, that pulled it downe, sold the lead, stone, iron
&c. And in place therof builded many small cottages of great rents,
to the increasing of beggers in that Burrough. The Archbishop
bought Norwich house, or Suffolke place, neere vnto Charing
Crosse
, because it was neere vnto the Court, and left it to his suc
cessors. Now on the south side to returne back again towards the
bridge. Ouer against this Suffolke lane is the parrish Church of
S. George
, sometime pertayning to the Priorie of Barmondsey,
by the gift of Thomas Arderne, and Thomas his sonne, in the
yeare 1122. There lie buried in this Church William Kerton
Esquire, and his wiues 1464.
Then is the white Lyon a Gaole
White Lion a Gaole for Surrey.
so called, for that the same
was a common hosterie for the receit of trauellers by that signe:
This house was first vsed as a Gaole within these fortie yeares
last, since the which time the prisoners were once remoued thence
to an house in Newtowne, where they remained for a short time,
and were returned backe again to the foresaid White Lyon, there
to remaine as in the appointed Gaole for the Countie of Surrey.
Next is the Gaole or prison of the kinges Benche, but of what
antiquitie the same is I knowe not. For I haue read that the
Courts of the Kings Bench and Chauncery haue oft times béene
remoued from London to other places, and so hath likewise the
Gayles that serue those courtes, as in the yeare 1304, Edwarde
the first
commanded the Courtes of the kings Bench and the Ex
chequer, which had remained seuen yeares at Yorke, to be remo
ued to their old places at London. And in the yeare 1387. the 11.
of Richard the 2
. Robert Trasilian chief Iustice came to The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified form.ye city of
Couentrie

This text is the corrected text. The original is 327 (NAP) 237
Couentry, and there sate by the space of a moneth, as Iustice of the
kings Benches, and caused to be indighted in that Court, about the
number of two thousand persons of that country, &c.
It séemeth therefore, that for that time, the prison or gayle of
that court was not farre off. Also in the yeare 1392. the sixtéenth
of the same Richard
, the Archbishop of Yorke, beeing Lord Chaun
celor, for good will that he bare to his citie, caused the Kings Bench
and Chauncery to be remooued from London to Yorke, but ere long
they were returned to London.
Then is the Marshalsey an other Gayle or prison, so cal
led, as pertayning to the Marshalles of England. Of what con
tinuaunce kept in Southwarke I haue not learned: but like it is,
that the same hath beene remoueable, at the pleasure of the Mar
shalles: for I finde, that in the yeare, one thouſand thrée hundred
ſeuentie ſixe
, the fiftieth of Edward the third, Henry Percy (béeing
Marshall) kept his prisoners in the citie of London, where hauing
committed one Iohn Prendargest, of Norwiche, contrary to the li
berties of the Cittie of London, the citizens (by perswasion of the
Lord Fitzwalter2 theyr Standart-bearer) tooke Armour and ranne
with great rage to the Marshalles Inne, brake vp the gates, brought
out the prisoner, and conueyed him away, minding to haue brent the
Stockes in the middest of their citie, but they first sought for sir
Henry Percy
to haue punished him, as I haue noted in my
Annalles.
More, about the Feast of Easter next following, Iohn Duke
of Lancaster
, hauing caused all the whole Nauy of England, to bee
gathered togither at London: It chaunced a certaine Esquire, to
kill one of the ship men, which act, the other shipmen taking in ill
part, they brought their suite into the kings court of the Marshalsey,
which then as chaunsed (saith mine Author) was kept in South
warke
: but when they perceiued that Court to bee too fauoura
ble to the murtherer, and further, that the Kings warrant was
also gotten for his pardon, they in great furie ranne to the house,
wherein the murtherer was imprisoned, brake into it,
Saylers brake vp the Mar
shalsey
.
and
brought forth the prisoner, with his Gyues on his legges: then
thrust they a knife to his heart, and sticked him, as if he had béene a
Z
Hogge

238
Hogge, then after this, they tyed a rope to his Gyues, and drew
him to the gallowes, where when they hanged him, as though they
had done a great act, they caused the Trompettes to bee soun
ded before them to theyr Shippes, and there in great triumphe
they spent the rest of the day.
Also the Rebels of Kent,
Rebels of Kent brake vp the Marshalsey.
in the yeare 1381. brake downe
the houses of the Marshalsey, and Kings Bench in Southwarke,
tooke from thence the prisoners, brake downe the house of Sir
Iohn Imworth
,3 then Marshall of the Marshalsey, and Kings
Bench
, &c. After this, in the yeare, 1387. the eleuenth of Richard the
second
, the morrow after Bartholomewe day, the King kept a
great Councell in the Castle of Nottingham, and the Marshalsey
of the King
, was then kept at Lugborough, by the space of sixe dayes
or more. In the yeare 1443. Sir Walter Many was Marshall of the
Marshalsey, the twentie two of Henry the sixt. In the yeare 1504
the prisoners of the Marshalsey (then in Southwarke) brake out, and
many of them béeing taken, were executed, especially such as had
béene committed for Felony or Treason. From thence, towards
London Bridge, on the same side, be many fayre Innes, for re
ceipt of trauellers, by these signes: the Spurre, Christopher,
Bull, Quéenes head, Tabarde, George, Harte, Kings
head
, &c. Amongst the which, the most auncient, is the Tabard,
so called of the signe, which (as we now terme it) is of a Iacquit, or
sléeuelesse coat, whole before, opē on both sides, with a square collor,
winged at the shoulders: a stately garment of olde time, com
monly worne of Noble men and others, both at home and a
broade in the Warres, but then (to witte in the warres)
theyr Armes embrodered, or otherwise depicte vppon them,
that euery man by his Coate of Armes might bee knowne
from others: but now these Tabardes are onely worne by the
Heraults, and bee called their coates of Armes in seruice:
For the Inne of the Tabard, Geffrey Chauser Esquire, the most fa
mous Poet of England, in commendation thereof, in the raigne of E.
the 3
.
writeth thus.
It befell in that season, on a day,
In Southwarke at the Tabart, as I lay,
Ready

339
Ready to wend on my Pilgrimage,
To Canterbury, with full deuout courage:
That night was comen into the Hosterie,
Well nine and twentie, in a companie:
Of sundry folke, by aduenture yfall,
In fellowship, and Pilgrimes were they all,
That toward Canterbury, woulden ride,
The stables and chambers, weren wide
And well we were eased, at the best, &c.
Within this Inne was also the lodging of the Abbot of Hide,
The Abbot of Hide his lodging.
(by the Citie of Winchester) a faire house for him and his traine,
when he came to the citie to Parliament, &c.
Then next haue yée the Hospitall of Saint Thomas, first foun
ded by Richard Pryor of Bermondsey, in the Selerars ground a
gainst the wall of the Monastery, in the yeare, 1213. hee named
it the Almerie, or house of Almes, for conuarts and poore children,
for the which ground, the Pryor ordained that the Almoner should
paye tenne shillings foure pence yearely to the Selerar at Michæl
mas.
This Hospitall was againe new founded, by Peter de Rupi
bous
,
S. Thomas Hospitall the second time founded.
Bishop of Winchester, for Cannons, Regular, in place of
the first Hospitall: hee increased the rent thereof, to thrée hundreth
fortie foure pound by the yeare: thus was this Hospitall holden of
the Pryor and Abbot of Bermondsey, till the yeare, one thouſand
foure hundred twentie eight
, at which time a composition was
made betwéene Thomas Thetforde, Abbot of Bermondsey,
and Nicholas Buckland, Maister of the sayde Hospitall of
Saint Thomas
, for all the landes and Tenements which
were holden, of the sayd Abbot and Couent in Southwarke, or else
where, for the olde Rent to bee payde vnto the sayde Abbot and Co
uent.
There bee the Monuments in this Hospitall Church, of
Syr Robert Chamber Knight, William Fnes, Lord Saye,4 Richard
Chaunar
Esquire, Iohn Gloucestar Esquire, Adam Atwoode E
squire, Iohn Warde Esquire, Michæll Cambridge Esquire, Wil.
Z2
West

340
West Esquire: Iohn Golding Esquire: Iohn Benham Gentleman:
George Kirks gentlemā: Thomas Knynton gentleman: Thomas
Baker
Gentleman: Robert sonne to sir Thomas Fleming:
Agnes Wife to Syr Walter Dennis Knight, daughter and one
of the heires of Syr Robet Danvars: Iohn Euarey Gentle
man, &c.
This Hospitall beeing in the yeare 1220. made to dispend
thrée hundred fortie foure pound by the yeare, was by the visitors,
in the yeare 1538. valued at 266. pound seuentéene shillings 6. pence,
and was surrendred to Henry the 8. in the thirtieth of his raigne.
In the yeare 1552. the citizens of London, hauing purchased the
voyde suppressed Hospitall, of Saint Thomas in Southwarke, in
the moneth of Iuly, began the reparations thereof, for poore, impo
tent, lame, and diseased people, so that in the moneth of Nouember
next following, the sicke and poore people, were taken in.
The 3. foun
dation of S. Thomas Hos
pitall
, by the Cititizens of London.
And in the
yeare 1553. on the tenth of April, King Edward the sixt, in the seuenth
of his raigne
, gaue to the Mayor, Communaltie, and cittizens of
London, to be a workehouse for the poore and idle persons of the ci
tie, his house of Bride-well, and seuen hundred Markes lands, of the
Sauoy rents (which Hospitall he had suppressed) with all the beddes,
bedding, and other furniture belonging to the same, towards the
maintenance of the said workehouse of Bridewell, and of this Hos
pitall of Saint Thomas in Southwarke
. This gift, the King
confirmed by his Charter, dated the twentie ſixe of Iune, next
following, and willed it to be called the Kings Hospitall in South
warke
.
The Church of this Hospitall, which of olde time serued for the
Tenements neare adioyning and pertaining to the said Hospitall,
remaineth now as it was before, a parish church.
But now to come to Saint Olaues stréete: on the Banke
of the riuer of Thames, is the parish church of Saint Olaue, a fayre
and méetely large church, but a farre larger Parrish, especially of
Aliens or Straungers, and poore people: in which Church, there
lyeth intombed, Syr Iohn Burcettur Knight, 1466.
Ouer against this Parish Church, on the South side the
Stréete, was somtime one great house builded of Stone,
with

341
with arched gates, pertained to the Prior of Lewes
Prior of lewe his Inne.
in Suffex,
and was his lodging when hee came to London: it is now a com
mon hostery for trauellers, and hath to signe, the Walnut-trée.
Then East from the said Parish church of Saint Olaue, is a Keye,
In the yeare, 1330. by the license of Simond Swanlond, Mayor of
London, builded by Isabell widow to Hamond Goodchepe. And
next thereunto, was then a great house, of stone and timber, be
longing to the Abbot of Saint Augustin, without the walles of Can
terburie
, which was an auncient péece of worke, and séemeth to bee
one of the first builded houses on that side the riuer, ouer against the
citie: It was called The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified form.ye Abbots Inne of S. Augustine in Southwarke,
and was sometime holden, of the Earles of Warren and Surrey, as
appeareth by a déede, made 1281. which I haue read, and may bee
Englished thus.
To all to whom this present writing shall come, Iohn Earle
Warren
, sendeth gréeting. Know yée, that we haue altogither remi
sed, and quite claymed for vs and our heires for euer, to Nicholas
Abbot of Saint Augustines of Canterburie, and the Couent of the
same, and their successors, suite to our court of Southwarke, which
they owe vnto vs, for all that Messuage and houses thereon builded,
and all their appurtenances, which they haue of our Fée in South
warke
, scituate vpon the Thames, betwéene the Bridge-house, and
church of Saint Olaue. And the said Messuage, with the buildings
thereon builded, and all their appurtenances to them and their suc
cessors, we haue graunted in perpetuall almes to hold of vs, and our
heires, for the same: sauing the seruice due to any other persons, if
any such bee, then to vs: and for this remitte and graunt, the
said Abbot and couent, haue giuen vnto vs. 5. shillings of rent yeare
ly in Southwarke, and haue receiued vs and our heires in all bene
fices which shall bee in their church for euer. This suite of Court,
one William Graspeis was bound to do to the said Earle, for the
said Messuage: and heretofore to acquit in all things, the church of
Saint Augustine, against the said Earle.
This house of late time, belonged to Sir Anthony Sentle
gar
, then to Warham Sentlegar, &c. And is now called Sentlegar
house
, but diuided into sundrie tenements. Next is the Bridge
house
, so called as being a Store house, for stone, timber, or whatso
euer
Z3
euer

342
pertaining to the building or repairing of London bridge.
This house séemeth to haue taken beginning, with the first founding
of the bridge either of stone or timber: it is a large plot of ground,
on the banque of the Riuer Thames: containing diuers large buil
dings, for stowage of things necessarie, towards reparation of the
said bridge.
There are also diuers Garners, for laying vp of Wheate, and
other grayners for seruice of the Citie, as néede requireth.
Garners for corne in the Bridge-house.
Moreouer
there be certaine Ouens builded in number tenne: of which sixe
be very large, the other foure being but halfe so bigge. These were
purposely made to bake out the bread corne of the sayd Grayners,
to the best aduantage for reléefe of the poore Citizens, when néede
should require. Sir Iohn Throstone knight, sometime an Embro
theror, then a Goldsmith, one of the Sheriffes, 1516. gaue
by his Testament towards the making of these Ouens, two
hundreth pounde, which thing was performed by his Execu
tors. Sir Iohn Munday Goldsmith, then being Mayor: there
was of late, for the enlarging of the sayde Bridge-house,
Ouens in the Bridge house.
taken in,
an olde Brew-house, called Goldings, which was giuen to the Citie
by George Monex, sometime Mayor, and in place thereof, is now
a faire Brew-house newe builded,
A brew-house builded in the Bridge-house.
for seruice of the Cittie with
Béere.
Nexte, was the Abbotte Battailes Inne,
Abbot of Bar
taile his Inne.
betwixt the
Bridge-house, and Battaile Bridge, likewise on the banque of the
riuer of Thames: the walkes and gardens thereunto appertaining,
on the other side of the way, before the gate of the said house, and was
called the Maze: There is now an Inne, called the Flower de Luce,
for that the signe is thrée Flower de Luces. Much other buildings
of small tenements are thereon builded, replenished with strangers
and other, for the most part poore people.
Then is Battaile bridge, so called of Battaile Abbey, for that
it standeth on the ground, and ouer a water course (flowing out of
Thames) pertaining to that Abbey, and was therefore both buil
ded and repaired, by the Abbots of that house, as being hard adioy
ning to the Abbots lodging.
Beyond this Bridge, is Bermondsey stréete, turning South,
in

343
in the South end whereof, was sometime a Pryorie, or Abbey, of
Saint Sauior, called Bermonds Eye in Southwarke, founded by
Alwin Childe, a citizen of London, in the yeare, 1081.
Peter, Richard, Obstert, and Vmbalde Monkes, de Charitate
came vnto Bermondsey, in the yeare 1089. and Peter was made
first Pryor there, by appointment of the Pryor of the house, called
Charitie in France: by which meanes, this Pryorie of Bermondsey
(being a Cell to that in France) was accounted a Pryorie of Aliens.
In the yeare, 1094. deceased Alwine Childe founder of this house.
Then William Rufus gaue to the Moonks, his manor of Bermond
sey
, with the appurtenances, and builded for them there, a new great
church.
Robert Blewet, Bishop of Lincolne (King Williams Chan
celor) gaue them the mannor of Charlton, with the appurtenances.
Also Geffrey Martell, by the graunt of Geffrey Magdauile, gaue
them the land of Halingbury, and the tythe of Alferton, &c.
More, in the yeare 1122. Thomas of Arderne and Thomas
his son, gaue to the Moonks of Bermonds
Hide of South
warke
to the Monkes of Bermondsey.
Eye, the Church of Saint
George in Southwarke
, &c. In the yeare, 1165. King Henry the se
cond
, confirmed to them the hyde or territorie of Southwarke, and
Laygham Wadden, with the land of Coleman, &c. In the yeare
1371. the Pryories of Aliens, through out England, being seized into
the Kings hands, Richard Denton an English man, was made Pri
or of Bermondsey: To whom was committed the custodie of the
said Pryory, by the letters patents of king E. the 3. sauing to The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified form.ye king,
the aduowsons of churches. In the yeare, 4. of Richard
the 2
. this Pryorie was made a Dinison (or frée English) for The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified form.ye fine
of 200.
Bermonds Eye made an Abbey.
Markes, paide to the kings Hanaper in the Chauncery. In
the yeare, 1399. Iohn Attelborough, Pryor of Bermondsey, was
made the first Abbot of that house, by Pope Boniface the ninth, at
the suite of King Richard the second.
In the yeare, 1417. Thomas Thetforde Abbot of Bermond
sey
, held a Plea in the Chauncery against the King,
Abbot of Ber
mondsey
held Ple against the King, and pre
uailed.
for the manors
of Preston, Bermondsey, and Stone, in the Countie of Summerset,
in the which suite the Abbot preuailed, and recouered against the King.
Z4
In

344
In the yeare, 1539. this Abbey was valued to dispend by
the yeare, foure hundred seuentie foure pound fouretéene shillings
foure pence halfe penny, and was surrendred to Henry the eight,
the one and thirtieth of his raigne: the Abbey church was then pul
led downe, by sir Thomas Pope Knight, and in place thereof, a good
ly house builded of stone and timber, now pertaining to the Earles
of Sussex.
There are buried in that church, Sir William Bowes knight,
and Dame Elizabeth his wife. Sir Thomas Pikeworth Knight:
Dame Anne Audley: George, sonne to Iohn Lord Audley. Iohn
Winkefield
Esquire. Sir Nicholas Blonket knight. Dame Brid
get
, wife to William Trussell. Holgraue Baron of the Exche
quer, &c.
Next vnto this Abbey church, standeth a proper church of S.
Mary Magdalē
, builded by the Pryors of Bermondsey, seruing for
the resort of the inhabitants, (tenants to the Pryor, or Abbots neare
adioyning) there to haue their diuine seruice: this church remai
neth and serueth as afore, and is called a Parish church.
Then in Kent stréete is a Lazer house,
The Loke a Lazar house in Kent streete.
for Leprous people: called the
Loke in Southwarke: the foundation whereof I finde not. Now
hauing touched diuers principall parts of this Borough, I am to
speake somewhat of gouernment, and so to ende.
This Borough vpon petition made by the citizens of Lon
don
,
Liberties of Southwarke, farmed by the Citizens of London.
to Edward the first, in the first yeare of his raigne, was for di
uers causes, by Parliament, graunted to them for euer, yeelding into
the Exchequer the Fée firme, of tenne pound by the yeare: which
grant was confirmed by Edward the 3. who in The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified form.ye third of his raigne,
gaue them license to take a tole towards the charge of pauing the
said Borough with stone.
Southwarke first paued.
Henry the fourth confirmed the graunt
of his predecessors: so did Edward the 4. &c.
But in the yeare 1550. King Edward the 6. for the summe
of sixe hundreth fortie seuen pound two shillings and one penny,
payde into his court of Augmentations, & reuenewes of his crowne,
granted to the Mayor and Communaltie, all his lands & tenements
in Southwarke,
Liberties of Southwarke purchased.
except & reserued the capitall Messuage, two man
sions called Southwarke Place, late the Duke of Suffolkes, and all
the gardens and lands to the same appertaining: the Parks
and

345
and the Messuage called the Antilope. Moreouer, he gaue them the
Lordship and Mannor of Southwark,
The Lordship and Mannor of Southwarke pertaining to the Monastery of Bermond
sey
.
with all members and rights
thereof, late pertaining to the Monastery of Bermondsey. And all
Messuages, places, buildings, rents, Courts, Waffes and streyes,
to The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified form.ye same appertaining, in the Countie of Surrey, except as is before
except. He also granted vnto them, his Manor & Borough of South
warke
, with al the members, rights & appurtenances, late of the pos
session of the Archbishop of Canterbury & his sea, in Southwarke.
Moreouer for The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified form.ye sum of 500. Marks, he granted to The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified form.ye said Mayor and
Communaltie, and their successors, in and through the Borough and
Towne of Southwarke
: And in all the Parishes of S. Sauiour, S.
Olaue
, and S. George, and the Parish of S. Thomas Hospitall,
now called the Kings Hospitall: And elsewhere in the saide Towne
and Borough of Southwarke
, and Kentish streete, Bermondsey
streete
, in the Parish of Newington, All Waiffes and streyes, trea
sure troue, All fellons goods, &c. within the Parrishes and precinct
aforesaid, &c. The returne of writtes, processes, and warrants, &
c. togither with a faire in
Faire in South
warke
.
the whole Towne, for thrée dayes: to wit,
the 7. 8. and 9. of September, yearly, with a Court of Pye-pow
ders
: A view of Franke pledge, with Attachments, Arrests, &c. Also
to arrest all Fellons, and other Malefactors, within their precinct,
and send them to Ward, and to Newgate. Prouided that nothing in
that graunt should be preiudiciall to the Steward and Marshall of
the Kings house. The same premisses to be holden of the Mannor of
East Greenwitch, in the Countie of Kent, by fealtie in frée socage.
Dated at Westminster the 23. day of Aprill, in the 4. of his raigne.
All which was also confirmed by Parliament, &c. And the same year
in the Whitson wéeke, in a Court of Aldermen, kept at the Guild
Hall of London
, Syr Iohn Aylophe Knight, was sworne the first
Alderman
First Alder
man of South
warke
.
of the Bridge Warde without, and made vp the number
of 26. Aldermen of London.
Borough of Southwarke, one of the Wardes of London.
This Borough at a subsidie to The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified form.ye king, yéeldeth about 1000. Marks,
or 800. pounds, which is more then any one Citie in England pay
eth, except the Citie of London. And also the Muster of men
Muster of men in Southwarke
in this
Borough, doth likewise in number surpasse all other citties, except
London. And thus much for the Borough of Southwarke: one of
the 26. Wards of London: which hath an Alderman. Deputies 3.
and

346
Suburbes without the Walles.
and a Bayliffe. Common Councell none. Constables 16. Scauin
gers 6. Wardmote Inquest 20. And is taxed to the fiftéen, at 17.li.
17.s.8.d.

Notes

  1. I.e., London Bridge. (MR)
  2. Likely Walter Fitzwalter, third Baron Fitzwalter based on the years he lived. (JB)
  3. Kingston corrects this name to Sir Richard Imworth in Kingston 1908. (JB)
  4. Possibly referring to Geoffery de Say, second Lord de Say. (MR)

References

  • Stow, John, Anthony Munday, Anthony Munday, and Humphrey Dyson. The Survey of London (1633): Bridge Without Ward. The Map of Early Modern London, edited by Janelle Jenstad, U of Victoria, 15 Sep. 2020, mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1633_BRID4.htm. Draft.
  • Stow, John, and William fitz-Stephen. Survey of London: Bridge Ward Without (Southwark). The Map of Early Modern London, edited by Janelle Jenstad, U of Victoria, 15 Sep. 2020, mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_BRID4.htm.
  • Stow, John, and William fitz-Stephen. Survey of London: Parishes. The Map of Early Modern London, edited by Janelle Jenstad, U of Victoria, 15 Sep. 2020, mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_parishes.htm.

Cite this page

MLA citation

Stow, John, and William fitz-Stephen. Survey of London: Bridge Ward Without (Southwark). The Map of Early Modern London, edited by Janelle Jenstad, U of Victoria, 15 Sep. 2020, mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_BRID4.htm.

Chicago citation

Stow, John, and William fitz-Stephen. Survey of London: Bridge Ward Without (Southwark). The Map of Early Modern London. Ed. Janelle Jenstad. Victoria: University of Victoria. Accessed September 15, 2020. https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_BRID4.htm.

APA citation

Stow, J., & fitz-Stephen, W. 2020. Survey of London: Bridge Ward Without (Southwark). In J. Jenstad (Ed), The Map of Early Modern London. Victoria: University of Victoria. Retrieved from https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_BRID4.htm.

RIS file (for RefMan, EndNote etc.)

Provider: University of Victoria
Database: The Map of Early Modern London
Content: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

TY  - ELEC
A1  - Stow, John
A1  - fitz-Stephen, William
ED  - Jenstad, Janelle
T1  - Survey of London: Bridge Ward Without (Southwark)
T2  - The Map of Early Modern London
PY  - 2020
DA  - 2020/09/15
CY  - Victoria
PB  - University of Victoria
LA  - English
UR  - https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_BRID4.htm
UR  - https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/xml/standalone/stow_1598_BRID4.xml
ER  - 

RefWorks

RT Web Page
SR Electronic(1)
A1 Stow, John
A1 fitz-Stephen, William
A6 Jenstad, Janelle
T1 Survey of London: Bridge Ward Without (Southwark)
T2 The Map of Early Modern London
WP 2020
FD 2020/09/15
RD 2020/09/15
PP Victoria
PB University of Victoria
LA English
OL English
LK https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_BRID4.htm

TEI citation

<bibl type="mla"><author><name ref="#STOW6"><surname>Stow</surname>, <forename>John</forename></name></author>, and <author><name ref="#FITZ1"><forename>William</forename> <surname>fitz-Stephen</surname></name></author>. <title level="a">Survey of London: Bridge Ward Without (Southwark)</title>. <title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title>, edited by <editor><name ref="#JENS1"><forename>Janelle</forename> <surname>Jenstad</surname></name></editor>, <publisher>U of Victoria</publisher>, <date when="2020-09-15">15 Sep. 2020</date>, <ref target="https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_BRID4.htm">mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_BRID4.htm</ref>.</bibl>

Personography