WAlbrooke ward beginneth at the west end of Can
dlewicke street ward
. It runneth downe Candle
wicke street
west towardes Budge row. It hath
on the north side thereof S. Swithens lane, so called
of S. Swithens a parish Church by London stone:
this lane is replenished on both the sides with faire builded houses,
and is wholly of Walbrooke warde. The said parish church of S.
Swithen
standeth at the southwest corner of this lane, and hath
beene lately new builded: for licence was procured to new builde &
increase the said church & steeple, and churchyarde, in the yeare
1420. Sir Iohn Hend Draper Mayor was an especiall benefa
ctor thereunto, as appeareth by his armes in the glasse windowes,
euen in the tops of them, which is in a field siluer, a chefe Azure, a
Lion passant siluer, a Cheueron azure, thrée Escalops siluer: he ly
eth buried in the bodie of this church with a faire stone laid on him
but the plates and other inscriptions are defaced, Roger Depham
Alderman was buried there: Iohn Butler Draper one of the She
riffes 1420. Raph Iocoline Mayor a benefactor buried in a faire
tombe, William White Draper, one of the Sheriffes, 1482.
On

177
On the north side of this church and churchyard is one faire and
large builded house, sometime pertaining to the Prior of Torting
ton
Prior of Tor
tington
his Inne.
since that to the Earles of Oxford,
Oxford place
by London
stone.
& now to Sir Iohn Hart
Alderman: which house hath a faire garden belonging thereunto,
lying on the West side thereof. On the backe side of two other
faire houses in Walbrook, in the raigne of Henry the seuenth, Sir
Rychard Empson
knight dwelled in the one of them, & Edmond
Dudley
Esquire in the other: eyther of them had a dore of enter
course into this garden, wherein they met & consulted of matters
at their pleasures. In this Oxford place Sir Ambrose Nicholas
kept his mayoralty, & since him The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified form.ye said Sir Iohn Hart did likewise.
On the south side of this high street, neare vnto the channell,
is pitched vpright a great stone called London stone fixed in the
ground very deep, fastned with bars of iron, & otherwise so strong
lie set, that if cartes do runne against it through negligence, the
Wheeles be broken, and the stone it selfe vnshaken.
The cause why this stone was there set, the verie time when,
or other memory hereof, is there none, but that the same hath long
continued there, is manifest, namely since (or rather before) the
time of the conquest: for in the ende of a fayre written Gospell
booke giuen to Christes church in Canterburie,
Liber Trinitate Antiquity of
London.
stone
.
by Ethelstane
king of the west Saxons, I finde noted of Landes or Rentes in
London belonging to the saide church, whereof one parcell is de
scribed, to ly neare vnto London stone. Of later time wee reade
that in the yeare of Christ 1135. the first of king Stephen a fire
which began in the house of one Ailwarde, neare vnto London
stone

consumed all east to Ealdegate, in the which fire the Priorie
of the holy Trinitie
was brent, & west to S. Erkenwalds shrine in
Paules Church: and these be the eldest notes that I read therof.
Some haue saide this stone to haue beene set, as a marke in
the middle of the cittie within the walles: but in truth it standeth
farre nearer vnto the riuer of Thames, then to the wall of the ci
ty
, some others haue saide the same to bee set for the tendering and
making of paymentes by debtors to their creditors, at their ap
pointed daies, and times, till of later time, paymentes were more
vsually made at the font in Pontes church, and now most com
monly at the Royall Exchange, some againe haue imagined
the same to bee set vp by one Iohn or Thomas Londonstone
dwelling there against, but more likely it is, that such men haue
N
taken

178
taken name of the stone, rather then the stone of them, as did Iohn
at Noke, Thomas at Stile, William at Wall or at Well, &c.
Down west from this parish church and from London stone,
haue yee Walbrooke corner: from whence runneth vp a streete,
north to the Stockes, called Walbrooke, because it standeth on
the east side of the same brooke by the banke thereof, and the whole
warde taketh name of that streete. On the east side of this streete
and at the north corner thereof, is the stockes market, which had
this beginning. Aboute the yeare of Christ 1282. Henry
Wales
Maior, caused diuers houses in this Citie to be builded to
wardes the maintenance of London bridge, namely one voide
place neare vnto the parish church, called Woole church, on the
north side thereof, where sometime (the way being very large and
broade) had stoode a payre of stockes, for punishment of offendors,
this building tooke name of these stockes, and was appointed by
him, to bee a market place for fish and flesh in the midst of the ci
ty, other houses he builded in other places, as by the patent of Ed
ward
the first
, it doth appeare dated the 10. of his raign. After
this in the yeare 1322. the 17. of Edwarde the second a decree
was
The middest
of the Citie.
made by Hamond Chickwell Maior, that none should sell
fish or flesh out of the markets appointed, to wit Bridge streete,
East cheape, Olde fishstreete, S. Nicholas shambles, and the
said Stocks vpon pain to forfeite such fish or flesh as were sold, for
the first time, and the second time to loose their freedom, which act
was made by commandemēt of the king vnder his letters patents
dated at the Tower, the 17. of his raign, and then was this stockes
let to ferme for six and fortie pound thirteene shillinges foure pence
by the yeare. This Stockes market was again begunne to be
builded in the yeare 1410. in the 11. of Henry the 4. and was
cleane finished in the yeare next following. In the yeare 1543.
Iohn Coutes being Maior, there was in this Stockes market
for Fishmongers 25. boordes or stalles which rented yearely to
thirty foure pound thirteene shillinges foure pence, there were for
Butchers 18. boordes or stalles rented at 41.l.16.SMALL LATIN LETTER S WITH TILDE ABOVE; ABBREVIATION FOR SHILLINGs.4.ď, and
there were also chambers aboue, 16. rented at 5.£.13,SMALL LATIN LETTER S WITH TILDE ABOVE; ABBREVIATION FOR SHILLINGs.4.ď.
Next vnto this Stockes is the parish church of S. Mary Woll
Church
, so called of a Beame placed there, euen in the church
yard (as it seemeth) for the same was thereof called Wooll church
Haw
, of the Tronage, or weighing of Woole there vsed, and to
verifie

179
verifie this, I finde amongst the customes of London, written in
French, in the raigne of Edwarde the second, a chapter intituled
Les customes de Wolchurch haw, wherein is
Tronage or
weighing of
wooll caused
the church to
bee named
Wool church
haw
.
set downe what
was there to be paide for euery Parcell of Wooll weighed. This
Tronage or weighing of Wool till the sixt of Richard the secōd,
was there continued, and vntill that Iohn Churchman builded
the custome house vpon Woolkey, to serue for the said Tronage,
as is before shewed in the Towerstreete warde: This church is
reasonable fayre and large, and was latelie new builded, by li
cence granted in the 20. of Henry the sixt, with condition to bee
builded 15. foote from the Stockes market for sparing of light to
the same. The Parson of this church is to haue foure markes
the yeare for Tith of the saide Stockes, paide him by the maisters
of the Bridge house, by a speciall decree made the second of Henry
the seuenth
. Iohn Wingar Grocer Maior, 1504, was a greate
helper to the building of this church, and was there buried 1505.
he gaue vnto it by his Testament, two large Basons of siluer, &
20.l. in money, also Richarde Shore Draper, one of the She
riffes 1505. Was a great benefactor in his life, and by his Testa
ment gaue 20.l. to make a portch at the west end thereof, and was
there buried, Richard Hatfield of Steplemordē in Cambridge
shire
, lieth intombed there, 1467. Edwarde Deoly Esquier,
1467. Iohn Handford Grocer, made the Fount of that church
very curiously wrought, painted and guilded, and was there buried:
Iohn Archer Fishmonger 1487. &c. From the Stockes
market
, and this Parrish Church East vp into Lombarde
streete
, some seauen or eight houses on a side, and also on the south
side of Woll Church, haue yee Bearebinder lane, which is of this
Walbrooke warde, then downe lower in the stréete called Wal
brooke
is one other fayre Church of S. Stephen, lately builded on
the east side thereof, for the olde church stoode on the west side, in
place where now standeth the Parsonage house, and therefore
so much nearer, the brooke euen on the banke. Robert Chichley
Maior in the yeare 1428. the sixt of Henry the sixt, gaue to this
Parrish of S, Stephen one plot of ground, contayning 208, foote
and a halfe in length, and 66. foote in bredth, thereupon to builde
their new church, and for their churchyarde: and in the seuenth
of Henry: the sixt
, the saide Robert one of the founders, laide the
first stone for him selfe, the second for William Stondon Maior,
N2
with

180
with whose goodes the ground that the church standeth on, and
the housing with the ground of the churchyarde was bought by
the saide Chichley for 200. markes, from the Grocers which had
beene letten before for 26. markes the yeare. Robert Wittin
gham
Draper laide the thirde stone, Henry Barton then Mai
or &c. The said Chichley gaue more 100.l. to the saide worke,
and bare the charges of all the timber worke on the Procession
way, and layd the lead vpon it of his owne cost, hee also gaue all
the timber for the rooffing of the two side Iles, and paide for the
carriage thereof. This church was finished in the yeare 1439.
the bredth thereof is 67. foote, and length 125. foote, the church
yarde 90. foote, in length, and 37. in bredth and more. Robert
Wittingham
(made knight of the Bath) in the yeare 1432. pur
chased the patronage of this church from Iohn Duke of Bedford,
vnckle to Henry the sixt, and Edwarde the fourth, in the second
of his raigne
, gaue it to Richarde Lee, then Maior There be
monumentes in this church of Thomas Southwell first Parson
of this new church, who lieth in the quier, Iohn Dunstable Mai
ster of Astronomie, and Musicke in the yeare 1453. Sir Richard
Lee
Maior, who gaue the saide Patronage to the Grocers, Sir
Rowland Hill
Maior, 1549. Sir Thomas Pope first Treasur
er of the augmentations, with his wife dame Margaret. Iohn
Kirkbie
Grocer 1578. Sir Iohn Cootes Maior, 1542, Sir
Iohn Yorke
knight, Marchant Taylor, 1549. Edward Iack
man
Sheriffe, 1564, Richarde Achley Grocer, Doctor Owyn
Phisition to king Henry the eight, and others.
Lower downe from this parish church bee diuers fayre houses
namely one wherein of late Sir Richard Baker a knight of Kent
was lodged, and one wherein dwelled maister Thomas Gore
a marchant famous for Hospitality. On the West side of this
Walbrooke streete, ouer against the Stockes market, is
a parte of the high streete, called the Poultrie, on the south side
west, till ouer against S. Mildredes Church, and the Skalding
Wike
, is of this warde. Then downe againe Walbrooke stréete
some small distance, is Buckles Bury, a streete so called of Buckle
that sometime was owner thereof, part of which streete, on both
sides 3. or 4. houses to the course of the Brooke is of this warde,
and so downe Walbrooke streete, to the south corner: from
whence west downe Budge Row, some small distance to an Alley
and

181
and through that Alley south by the west ende of S. Iohns church
vpon Walbrooke
, by the south side, and east end of the same, again
to Walbrooke corner. This parrish church is called S. Iohn
vpon Walbrooke
, because the west ende thereof is on the verie
banke of Walbrooke, by Horshew Bridge, a Bridge ouer the
Brooke in Horsebridge lane. This church was also lately new
builded: for aboute the yeare 1412. licence was granted by the
Maior, and Comminalty, to the Parson and Parish there, for the
enlarging thereof, with a peece of ground on the north part of the
Quire, 21. foot, in length, 17. foot, in bredth, & 3. inches, & on the
south side the Quire, one foot of the common soyle: There bee no
monuments in this church of any account, onely William Com
barton
Skinner, who gaue lands to that church, was there buri
ed, 1410. and Iohn Stone Taylor one of the Sheriffes 1464.
was likewise buried there. On the south side of Walbrooke
warde
from Candlewicke streete, in the mid way betwixt Lon
don
stone
, and Walbrooke corner, is a little lane with a turne
pike in the middest thereof, and in the same a proper parish church
called S. Mary Bothaw, or Boatehaw, by the Erber: this church
being neare vnto Downgate on the riuer of Thames, hath the
addition of Boathaw or Boat haw, of neare adioyning to an haw
or yarde wherein of old time, boates were made, and landed from
Downgate to be mended, as may be supposed, for other reason I
finde none why it should be so called. Within this Church, and
the small Cloistrie adioyning, diuers noble men and persons of
worship haue beene buried, as appeareth both by Armes in the
windowes, by the defaced Tombes, and printe of plates torne vp
and carried away, there remaine onely, of Iohn West Esquier,
buried there in the year 1408. Thomas Huntley Esquier
1539. but his monument is defaced. The Erbar
The Erbar.
is an ancient
place so called, but is not of Walbrooke warde, and therefore
out of that lane, to Walbrooke corner, and then downe till ouer
against the south corner of S. Iohns church vpon Walbrooke.
And this is all that I can say of Walbrooke warde. It hath an
Alderman, and his Deputy, common Counsellors eleuen, Con
stables, nine, Scauengers six, for the Wardmote inquest, thirteen
and a Beadle, it is taxed to the fifeteene in London, to forty pound
and in the Exchequer to thirty nine pound.
N3

Cite this page

MLA citation

Stow, John, and William fitz-Stephen. Survey of London: Walbrook Ward. The Map of Early Modern London, edited by Janelle Jenstad, U of Victoria, 15 Sep. 2020, mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_WALB2.htm.

Chicago citation

Stow, John, and William fitz-Stephen. Survey of London: Walbrook Ward. The Map of Early Modern London. Ed. Janelle Jenstad. Victoria: University of Victoria. Accessed September 15, 2020. https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_WALB2.htm.

APA citation

Stow, J., & fitz-Stephen, W. 2020. Survey of London: Walbrook Ward. In J. Jenstad (Ed), The Map of Early Modern London. Victoria: University of Victoria. Retrieved from https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_WALB2.htm.

RIS file (for RefMan, EndNote etc.)

Provider: University of Victoria
Database: The Map of Early Modern London
Content: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

TY  - ELEC
A1  - Stow, John
A1  - fitz-Stephen, William
ED  - Jenstad, Janelle
T1  - Survey of London: Walbrook Ward
T2  - The Map of Early Modern London
PY  - 2020
DA  - 2020/09/15
CY  - Victoria
PB  - University of Victoria
LA  - English
UR  - https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_WALB2.htm
UR  - https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/xml/standalone/stow_1598_WALB2.xml
ER  - 

RefWorks

RT Web Page
SR Electronic(1)
A1 Stow, John
A1 fitz-Stephen, William
A6 Jenstad, Janelle
T1 Survey of London: Walbrook Ward
T2 The Map of Early Modern London
WP 2020
FD 2020/09/15
RD 2020/09/15
PP Victoria
PB University of Victoria
LA English
OL English
LK https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_WALB2.htm

TEI citation

<bibl type="mla"><author><name ref="#STOW6"><surname>Stow</surname>, <forename>John</forename></name></author>, and <author><name ref="#FITZ1"><forename>William</forename> <surname>fitz-Stephen</surname></name></author>. <title level="a">Survey of London: Walbrook Ward</title>. <title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title>, edited by <editor><name ref="#JENS1"><forename>Janelle</forename> <surname>Jenstad</surname></name></editor>, <publisher>U of Victoria</publisher>, <date when="2020-09-15">15 Sep. 2020</date>, <ref target="https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_WALB2.htm">mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_WALB2.htm</ref>.</bibl>

Personography

Locations