According to Walter George Bell, Hare House was a property in Ram Alley left by John Bowser and Humphrey Street in 1584
upon trust for 1,000 years, that every Sunday thirteen pennyworth of bread should be given to thirteen poor people of the parish after service in St. Dunstan’s church(Bell 296). Hare House was subsequently destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666. In the nineteenth century, Ram Alley was renamed as Hare Place after Hare House.
This article is a stub. The editors are seeking a full-length encyclopedia-style entry for this item. To contribute, see Contribute to MoEML.
- Bell, Walter George. Fleet Street in Seven Centuries: Being a History of the Growth of London Beyond the Walls into the Western Liberty, and of Fleet Street to Our Time. London: Sir Isaac Pitman and Sons, 1912. Internet Archive. Open.
Last modification: 2016-04-08 16:21:47 -0700 (Fri, 08 Apr 2016) (jtakeda)