St. Alphage

Harben notes that St. Alphage was originally on the north side of the Wall near Cripplegate (Harben). However, the Parish of St. Alphage (London Wall) must have straddled the Wall, because both Stow and Harben note that parts of the Parish of St. Alphage (London Wall) on the south side of the Wall were given over for the construction of the Hospital of St. Mary Within Cripplegate in 1329 (Stow 1598, sig. Q5v). After Henry VIII’s 1531 dissolution of the Hospital of St. Mary within Cripplegate, part of that hospital on the south side of the Wall was given to St. Alphage (Stow 1598, sig. Q5v). The church then moved there, presumably along Gayspur Lane, which according to Stow was the street of the Hospital of St. Mary. The church on the north side of the Wall was demolished, and the site became a a carpenter’s yard (Stow 1598, sig. Q5v).

References