Bevis Marks (Street)

Bevis Marks was a street south of the City Wall that ran east-west from Shoemaker Row to the north end of St. Mary Axe Street. It was in Aldgate Ward. Stow notes that the street included one great house large of roomes, fayre courts and garden plottes, which at one time belonged to the Abbot of Bury St. Edmunds Abbey, Suffolk. By the eighteenth century, this house no longer existed. Stow also states that the name Bevis Marks is a corruption of Buries Markes, a name honouring its connection with the Abbey of Bury St. Edmunds (Stow). A synagogue was built on the southeast corner of the street in the late seventeenth century and still exists to this day (see Benjamin Cole’s 1756 map of Aldgate Ward [Cole]).
Bevis Marks is featured on the Agas map. It runs from the street at the west end of Holy Trinity Priory to St. Augustine Papey.

References