LAngborne warde is so called of a long borne of
swéete water, which of old time breaking out
into Fenchurch streete, ran downe the same
streete and Lombard street, to the West ende
of S. Mary Woolnothes Church, where tur
ning south, and breaking it selfe into many
small shares, rilles or streames, it left the name
of Share borne lane, or south borne lane (as I haue read) because
it ranne south to the riuer of Thames. This Warde beginneth
at the West end of Aldegate warde, in Fenne church stréet, by the
Ironmongers hall,
Culuer alley.
Lane stopped
which is on the North side of that stréete, at a
place called Culuer alley, where sometime was a lane, through
the which men went into Limestréete, but that being long since
stopped vp for suspition of theeues, that lurked there by night (as
is shewed in Limestreet warde) there is now this said alley a ten
nis court, &c.
Fenne Church street tooke that name of a Fennie or Moorish
ground so made by means of this borne which passed through it, &
therefore vntill this day in the Guildehall of this citie, that ward is
called by the name of Langborne, and fennie about and not other
wise: yet others be of opinion that it tooke that name of Fænum,
that is hey solde there, as Grasse street tooke the name of Grasse
or herbes there sold.
In the midst of this streete standeth a small parish church cal
led S. Gabriel Fen church, corruptly Fan church.
Helming Legget Esquire, by licence of Edward the third, in
the 49. of his raigne
, gaue one Tenement, with a curtilarge
thereto belonging, and a garden with the entrie thereto leading,
vnto Sir Iohn Hariot parson of Fenchurch, and to his successors
for euer, the house to bee a Parsonage house, the garden to bee a
churchyard, or burying place for the parish.
Then haue ye Lombard streete, so called of the Longobards,
and other merchantes, straungers of diuers nations assembling

there twise euery day, which manner continued vntill the 22. of
December in the yeare 1568
. on which day the saide marchantes
beganne their meeting in Cornehill at the Burse, since by her
Maiestie named the Royall Exchange.
On the North side of this Warde is Limestreet, one halfe
whereof is of this warde, and therein on the west side is the Pew
terers hall
, who were admitted to be a brotherhood, in the 13. of
Edward the fourth
At Limestreet corner is a faire parish Church of S. Dionys cal
led Back church
, lately new builded: Iohn Darby Alderman a
bout the yeare 1446
. added therevnto a faire Ile or Chappell on
the south side and was there buried: about the yere 1466. he gaue
(besides sundry ornaments) his dwelling house, & others, vnto the
said parish Church, Iohn Master gent. was by his children buried
there 1444: Thomas Bryttaine, Robert Paget merchantaylor,
one of the Sherifs 1536. Hugh Witch Mayor 1462. & the Ladie
: Sir Thomas Curteis Pewterer, then Fishmonger May
or 1557. Iames Haruie Ironmonger Mayor 1581. William
Esquire, William Sherington: Sir Edward Osborne
Clothworker Mayor 1583. buried there.
Then in Lombardstreet is one faire parish church, called Al
Grasse Church in Lombardstreet
, I so reade it in e
uidences of record, for that the Grasse market went downe that
way, and was there kept, but the street was far
L. Trinitate.
larger in breadth.
This Church was lately new builded. Iohn Warner armorer
and then Grocer Sheriffe 1494. builded the South Ile, his sonne
Robert Warner Esquire finished it the yeare 1516. The Pew
were benefactors towards the North ile &c. The steeple or
bell Tower thereof was finished in the yeare 1544. about the
thirty and sixt of Henry the eight. The faire stone porch of this
church was brought from the late dissolued Priorie of S. Iohn of
, by Smithfielde, so was the frame for their belles, but
the belles being bought, were neuer brought thether, by reason
that one olde Warner Draper, of that parish deceasing, his sonne
young Marke Warner would not performe what his father had
begunne, and appointed, so that faire steeple hath but one bell, as
Friers were wont to vse. The monuments in this church be these,

the said Warners and Iohn Waldon Draper.
This church is also called S. Edmond Grasse church, because
the said Grasse market came downe so low. The monuments in
this church are these: Sir Iohn Milborne Draper Mayor decea
sed, 1535. buried there by Dame Ioane, & Dame Margaret his
wiues, vnder a tombe of touch. Humfrey Heyford, Goldsmith
Mayor, 1477. Sir William Chester Draper, Mayor, 1560.
with his wiues amongst his predecessors. Sir George Barne
Mayor, 1586. &c.
From this church downe Lombards streete, by Birchouers
(the one halfe of which lane is of this warde) and so downe, be
diuers faire houses, namely one with a very faire forefront to
wards the stréete, builded by S. Martin Bowes Goldsmith, since
Mayor of London, and then one other, sometime belonging to
William de la Pole the kings merchant in the 14. of Edwarde
the third
, and after him to Michæl de la Pole Earle of Suffolke,
in the 14. of Richard the second, and so downe toward the stocks
, lacking but some thrée houses thereof.
The south side of this Warde, beginneth in the East, at the
chaine to be drawne thwart Mart lane, vp into Fen church stréet,
and so West, by the North end of Minchen lane to S. Margarets
Pattens stréet
, or Roode lane, and downe that stréet to the midway
toward S. Margarets church: then by Philpot lane, (so called
of Sir Iohn Philpot that dwelled there, & was owner therof) and
downe that lane some sixe or eight houses on each side, is all of this
Then by Grasse church corner into Lombard street to S. Cle
, and downe the same to S. Clements church: then
downe S. Nicholas lane, and downe the same to Saint Nicholas
, and the same church is of this ward. Then to Abchurch
and downe some smal portion thereof: then downe Sherborne
, a part thereof, and a parte of Bearebinder lane bee of this
warde: and then downe Lombardstreet to the signe of the angell
almost to the corner ouer against the Stockes market: and these
be the bounds of this warde.

On this south side haue ye the parish church of Alhallowes, com
monly called Stane church, somwhat within Mart lane end, by the
which church sometime passed a lane called Cradocks lane, from
Mart lane, winding by the north side of Alhallows Stane church
afore said, into Fen church stréet, the which lane being straitned
by incrochments, is now called church alley. In this church there
haue beene diuers faire monuments of the dead, namely of Iohn
Girdler, a great benefactor to that church: hee deceased
1244. his name remaineth painted on the church roofe, if it had
béene in brasse it would not haue remained there so long: he gaue
out of certaine tenementes to the poore of that parish an hundred
quarters of charcoles yearely for euer. Sir Robert Tesle knight
of the holy sepulcher, and Dame Ioane his wife, about 1486.
Robert Stone, Sir Iohn Steward, and Dame Alice his wife,
Alice William and Iohn, wife and sonnes to Thomas Clarell,
Agnes daughter to Thomas Niter Eent. William Atwell, Fe
daughter to Sir Thomas Gisers, and wife to Trauers, Tho
mas Mason
Esquire, Edmond Wartar Esquire, Ioane wife to
Iohn Chamberlaine Esquire, daughter to Roger Lewkner
Esquire, William Frier, Iohn Hamburger Esquire, Hugh
, Gilbert Prince
Alderman, Oliuer Chorley gentle
man, Sir Iohn Writh (or Writhesley) alias Garter, principall
King at Armes, sometime laid vnder a faire tombe in the quire,
now broken downe and gone. Ioane wife to Thomas Writhe
, sonne to Sir Iohn Writhesley, Gartar, daughter and heire
to William Hall Esquire, Iohn Writhesley the yonger, sonne
to Sir Iohn Writhesley and Alienor, Elianor seconde wife to
Iohn Writhesley, daughter and heire to Thomas Arnalde, and
Agnes his second wife, Iohn Writhesley1 sonne of Thomas, Ag
nes Arnold
, first maried to William Writhesley daughter of Ri
chard Warmeforde
, Barbara Hungerford
, daughter to Sir
Iohn Writhesley, wife to Anthonie Hungerford, sonne to Sir
Thomas Hungerford
of Dennampney in the countie of Glo
cester: Iohn Bostoke
Esquire, Christopher Holt, Sir Richard
knight ambassadour for King Henry the eight, buried there
1554. his monument remaineth yet, the rest being all pulled
downe, and swept out of the church, where through the Church
Warden was forced to make a large accompt xij. SMALL LATIN LETTER S WITH TILDE ABOVE; ABBREVIATION FOR SHILLINGs yeare

spent in broomes, besides the cariage away of stone and brasse at
his owne charge. Then is the parish church of S. Nicholas Acon
or Hacon,2 (for so haue I read it in recordes) in Lombarde stréete.
Sir Iohn Bridges Draper Mayor 1520. newly repayred this
church and imbattailed it, and was there buried: Frances Bo
Grocer one of the Sheriffes was buried there, 1580. with o
ther of the Boyers. So was Iulian, wife to Iohn Lambard Al
derman mother of William Lamberd, yet liuing. Then is there
in the high street a proper parish church of S. Mary Woolnoth, of
the natiuitie, the reason of which name I haue not yet learned:
this church is lately new builded. Sir Hugh Brise Mayor in the
first yeare of Henry the seuenth kéeper of the kings exchange at
London, and one of the gouernors of the kings mint in the Tow
er of London
, vnder William L. Hastings, the 5. of Edward the
deceased 1496. he builded in this church a chappell, called
the charnel, as also part of the bodie of the church and of the stéeple,
and gaue money toward the finishing thereof, besides the stone
which he had prepared: hee was buried in the body of the church,
Guy Brice or Boys was buried there, Dame Ioan wife to Sir
William Peach
, Hugh Acton Taylor, Thomas Nocket Dra
per 1396. Simon Eyre 1459. Iohn Meager Pewterer, & Emme
his wife in S. Iohns chappel, Sir Iohn Pierciuall Marchant tay
lor Mayor, about 1504. Thomas Roch and Andrew Michael
Uinteners, & Ioan their wife: William Hilton Marchantaylor, &
Taylor to K. Henry the eight, was buried there 1519. vnder the
chappell of S. George, which chappell was builded by George
sometime Taylor to the Prince, Robert Amades Gold
smith mayster of the kings iewels: Sir Martin Bowes Mayor
buried about 1569. he gaue lands for the discharge of that Lang
of all fiftéenes to be granted to the King by Parlia
: George Hasken, Sir Thomas Ramsey late Mayor, &c.
Thus haue ye seuen
ged of fifteens
parish churches in this ward. One hall of a
companie, diuiers faire houses for marchants, and other monu
ments none. It hath an Alderman his deputie, common Counsel
lors 8. Constables 15. Scauengers 9. men of the Wardemote
inquest 17. and a Beadle. It is taxed to the fifteene in London


  1. Sir Thomas Writhesley’s only recorded son was named Charles, not John. (MR)
  2. I.e., parish church of S. Nicholas Hacon. (MR)

Cite this page

MLA citation

Stow, John, and William fitz-Stephen. Survey of London (1598): Langbourn Ward. The Map of Early Modern London, Edition 7.0, edited by Janelle Jenstad, U of Victoria, 05 May 2022, mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/7.0/stow_1598_LANG1.htm.

Chicago citation

Stow, John, and William fitz-Stephen. Survey of London (1598): Langbourn Ward. The Map of Early Modern London, Edition 7.0. Ed. Janelle Jenstad. Victoria: University of Victoria. Accessed May 05, 2022. mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/7.0/stow_1598_LANG1.htm.

APA citation

Stow, J., & fitz-Stephen, W. 2022. Survey of London (1598): Langbourn Ward. In J. Jenstad (Ed), The Map of Early Modern London (Edition 7.0). Victoria: University of Victoria. Retrieved from https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/editions/7.0/stow_1598_LANG1.htm.

RIS file (for RefMan, RefWorks, EndNote etc.)

Provider: University of Victoria
Database: The Map of Early Modern London
Content: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

A1  - Stow, John
A1  - fitz-Stephen, William
ED  - Jenstad, Janelle
T1  - Survey of London (1598): Langbourn Ward
T2  - The Map of Early Modern London
ET  - 7.0
PY  - 2022
DA  - 2022/05/05
CY  - Victoria
PB  - University of Victoria
LA  - English
UR  - https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/7.0/stow_1598_LANG1.htm
UR  - https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/7.0/xml/standalone/stow_1598_LANG1.xml
ER  - 

TEI citation

<bibl type="mla"><author><name ref="#STOW6"><surname>Stow</surname>, <forename>John</forename></name></author>, and <author><name ref="#FITZ1"><forename>William</forename> <surname>fitz-Stephen</surname></name></author>. <title level="a">Survey of London (1598): Langbourn Ward</title>. <title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title>, Edition <edition>7.0</edition>, edited by <editor><name ref="#JENS1"><forename>Janelle</forename> <surname>Jenstad</surname></name></editor>, <publisher>U of Victoria</publisher>, <date when="2022-05-05">05 May 2022</date>, <ref target="https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/7.0/stow_1598_LANG1.htm">mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/7.0/stow_1598_LANG1.htm</ref>.</bibl>