Montague House

Located on the former site of St. Mary Overies Priory Close, Montague House was just north of St. Saviour (Southwark), on the southern bank of the Thames (Questier 1). In 1544/1545, Montague House and the buildings surrounding it, which were collectively referred to as Montague Close, were formerly granted to Sir Anthony Browne (Howard and Godfrey). The property’s name originates from Sir Anthony Browne’s eldest son, Anthony, who was given the title Lord Montague during Mary I’s reign (Questier 1). The Browne family sold Montague House in 1625, however, the property remained a prominent fixture in Southwark until the nineteenth century, when it was demolished (Questier 1).
Montague House is depicted on the Agas map, though it is not labelled. The property is also depicted on Rocque and Pine’s 1746 map (A Plan of the Cities of London and Westminster, and Borough of Southwark with Contiguous Buildings), where it is labelled Montague Close.


Cite this page

MLA citation

Rothwell, Molly. Montague House. The Map of Early Modern London, Edition 7.0, edited by Janelle Jenstad, U of Victoria, 05 May 2022, INP.

Chicago citation

Rothwell, Molly. Montague House. The Map of Early Modern London, Edition 7.0. Ed. Janelle Jenstad. Victoria: University of Victoria. Accessed May 05, 2022. INP.

APA citation

Rothwell, M. 2022. Montague House. In J. Jenstad (Ed), The Map of Early Modern London (Edition 7.0). Victoria: University of Victoria. Retrieved from INP.

RIS file (for RefMan, RefWorks, EndNote etc.)

Provider: University of Victoria
Database: The Map of Early Modern London
Content: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

A1  - Rothwell, Molly
ED  - Jenstad, Janelle
T1  - Montague House
T2  - The Map of Early Modern London
ET  - 7.0
PY  - 2022
DA  - 2022/05/05
CY  - Victoria
PB  - University of Victoria
LA  - English
UR  -
UR  -
ER  - 

TEI citation

<bibl type="mla"><author><name ref="#ROTH4"><surname>Rothwell</surname>, <forename>Molly</forename></name></author>. <title level="a">Montague House</title>. <title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title>, Edition <edition>7.0</edition>, edited by <editor><name ref="#JENS1"><forename>Janelle</forename> <surname>Jenstad</surname></name></editor>, <publisher>U of Victoria</publisher>, <date when="2022-05-05">05 May 2022</date>, <ref target=""></ref>. INP.</bibl>

Documents relating to St. Mary Overies Priory Close

St. Mary Overies Priory Close was the property of the Augustinian Canons who ran St. Mary Overies. During the Dissolution of the Monastaries, St. Mary Overies Priory Close was stripped of its monastic function and given to Sir Anthony Browne. After Sir Anthony’s son was granted the title Lord Montague, the property was referred to as Montague Close.