NExt to Cheape warde on the North side thereof is
Colemanstreet Ward, and beginneth also in the
East, on the course of Walbrooke in Lothbury and
runneth west on the South side to the end of Iron
mongers lane
, and on the North side to the West
corner of Bassings hall stréet. On the South side of Lothburie is
the stréet called the old Iurie, the one halfe and better on both sides
towards Cheape is of this Ward. On the North side lyeth Cole
, whereof the ward taketh name, wholly on both sides
North to London wall, and from that North ende along by the
wall, and Moregate East, to the course of Walbrooke. And a
gain from Colemanstreet west to the yron grates: and these be
the bounds of this warde.
Antiquities to be noted therein are these: First the stréete of
Lothberie, Lathberie, or Loadberie, (for by all these names haue
I read it) tooke the name (as it séemeth) of Berie, or Court of old
time there kept, but by whom is growne out of memorie. This
stréete is possessed for the most part by Founders, that cast Can
dlestickes, Chafingdishes, Spice morters, and such like Copper
or Laton workes, and do afterwarde turne them with the foot and
not with the whéele, to make them smooth and bright with tur
ning and scrating (as some do tearme it) making a lothsome noyce
to the by passers, that haue not béene vsed to the like, and there
fore by them disdainfully called Lothberie. On the South side of
this stréet, amongst the Founders by some faire houses, and large
for merchants, namely one that of old time was the Iewes Sina
, which was defaced by the citizens of London after that
they had slaine 700. Iewes and spoyled the residue of their goods
in the yeare 1262. the 47. of Henry the third. And not long after
in the yeare 1291. King Edward the first banished the renmant of
the Iewes out of England, as is aforeshewed. The said sinagogue
being so suppressed certaine Friers got possession thereof: For in
the yeare 1257. (saith Mathew Parris) there were séene in Lon
a new order of Fryers, called de penitentia Iesu, or Fratres
de sacca
, because they were apparelled in sackecloth, who had
their house in London, néere vnto Aldersgate without the gate,
and had licence of Henry the third, in the 54. of his raigne, to re-

moue from thence to any other place: and in the 56. he gaue vnto
them this Iewes Sinagogue: after which time Elianor the
Quéene, wife to Edward the first tooke into her protection, and
warranted vnto the Prior, & brethren de Penitentia Iesu Chri
of London, the said lande and building in Colechurch stréete in
the parish of S. Olaue in the Iurie, and S. Margaret in Lothbery
by her granted, with consent of Stephen de Fulborne, vnder
Warden of the Bridge house, & other brethren of that house for lx.
marks of siluer which they had receiued of The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified form.ye said Prior & brethren
of Repentance, to the building of The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified form.ye said bridge. This order of friers
gathered many good schollers, & multiplyed in number exceedingly,
vntill the counsell at Lyons, by the which it was decréede, that
from that time forth there should no more orders of begging Fry
ers be permitted, but only the foure orders, to wit, the Dominick
or preachers
, the Minorites or Gray Fryers, the Carmelites or
white Fryers
, and the Augustines: and so from that time the
begging Friers decreased, and fell to nothing. Now it followed
that in the yeare 1305. Robert Fitzwalter requested and obtai
ned of the said king Edward the first, that the same Fryers of the
might assigne to the said Robert their chappel or church, of
old time called the Sinagogue of the Iewes, néere adioyning to
the then mansion place of the same Robert, where now standeth
the Grocers hall: and the said Sinagogue was at the North cor
ner of the old Iurie. Robert Large Mercer, Mayor in the yeare
1439. kept his Mayoraltie in this house, and dwelled there vntill
his dying day. This house standeth and is of two parishes, as o
pening into Lothberie, of S. Margarets parish, and opening into
the old Iurie, of S. Olaues parish. The said Robert Large gaue
liberally to both these parishes, but was buried at S. Olaues, Hugh
Mercer Mayor, 1492. dwelled in this house, and kept
his Mayoraltie there: it is nowe a Tauerne, and hath to signe
a Windmill. And thus much for this house sometime the
Iewes Sinagogue, since a house of Fryers, then a Noble mans
house: after that a marchantes house, wherein Mayoralties haue
beene kept, and now a wine Tauerne.
In the Olde Iurie is a proper parish Church of S. Olaue, in
which to the commendation of the parishioners, the monumentes
of the deade remaine lesse defaced then in many other: First of

VVilliam Dickman Ferono, or Ironmonger one of the She
riffes 1367. Robert Haueloke Ironmonger, 1390. Iohn Or
Mercer one of the Sheriffes 1385. Iohn Forest Uicker of S.
, and the chappell annexed of S. Stephen 1399. Henry
Taylor, 1400. Thomas Morsted Esquire Chirurgion
to Henry the fourth, fift and sixt, one of the Sheriffes, 1436. hee
builded a faire new Ile, to the inlargement of this church, on the
North side thereof, wherin he lyeth buried 1450. Adam Break
Chaplen 1411. VVilliam Kerkbie Mercer 1465. Ro
bert Large
Mercer Mayor 1440. He gaue to that Church 200
pound. Iohn Belwine Founder, 1467. Gabriel Raue Fuller
1511. Wentworth Esquire 1510. Thomas Michell Iron
monger 1527. Giles Dewes seruant to Henry the seuenth, and
to Henry the eight Clearke of their libraries, and Schoolemaister
for the French tongue to Prince Arthur, and to the Ladie Mary,
1535. Richard Chamberlaine Ironmonger, one of the She
riffes 1562. Edmond Burlacy Mercer 1583. &c.
From this parish church of S. Olaue, to the North ende of the
Old Iurie, and from thence West to the North ende of the Iron
mongers lane
, and from the sayde corner into Ironmongers
almost to the parrish Church of Saynt Marten, was of
olde time one large building of stone, very auncient, but of what
antiquitie, or by whom the same was builded, or for what vse I
haue not learned more then that king Henry the 6. in the 16. of
his raigne
, gaue the office of being Porter or keeper thereof, vnto
Iohn Stent for tearme of his life, by the name of his principall
pallace in the olde Iurie: this was in my youth called the old war
: but of later time the outwarde stone wall hath béene by lit
tle and little taken downe, and diuers fayre houses builded there
vpon, euen round about.
Now for the North side of this Lothburie, beginning againe
at the East end thereof, vpon the water course of Walbrooke haue
ye a proper parish church called of S. Margaret, which séemeth to
be newly reedified and builded about the yeare 1440. for Robert
gaue to the Quire of that church, 100. shillings and twen
tie pounde for ornamentes, more to the vaulting ouer the water
course of Walbrooke
by the saide church, for the inlarging thereof
two hundred markes.

There be monumentes in this church of Reginald Coleman
sonne to Robert Coleman buried there 1383. This saide Ro
bert Coleman
may be supposed to be the first builder and honor
of Coleman stréete, and that Saint Stephens church then builded
in Coleman streete was but a chappell, belonging to the parish
Church of Saint Olaue in the Iury: for we reade (as afore) that
Iohn Forest Uicker of Saint Olaues, and of the chappel annexed
of S. Stephen, deceased in the yeare 1399. This may bee some
argument, which I ouerpasse. Sir Brian Tewke knight, Trea
surer of the chamber to King Henry the eight, and Dame Grisil
his wife that deceased after him was there buried, 1536. Iohn
Draper Esquire 1464. and Ioan his wife. Sir Hugh
Mercer Knight, sonne to Richard VVitch intombed
there 1466. He gaue to his third wife thrée thousand pounde, and
to maides mariages fiue hundred markes: Sir Iohn Leigh 1564
with this Epitaph.

No wealth, no prayse, no bright renowne no skill,
No force, no fame, no princes loue, no toyle,
Though forraigne land by trauaile search ye will,
No faithfull seruice of the country soyle
Can life prolong one minute of an houre,
But death at length will execute his power,
For Sir Iohn Leigh to sundry countries knowne,
A worthy knight well of his prince esteemde,
By seeing much to great experience growne
Though safe on seas, though sure on land he seemde,
Yet here hee lyeth too soone by death opprest,
His fame yet liues, his soule in heauen doth rest.

By the West end of this parish church haue ye a faire water
Conduit, builded at the charges of the cittie, in the yeare one thou
ſand fiue hundred fortie ſixe
. Sir Martin Bowes being Mayor:
this water is conueyed in great abundance from diuers springes
without the North wall of the cittie, lying betwixt Hoxton and
Next is the Founders Hall, a proper house, and so long
West to the Southwest corner of Bassinges Hall stréete, haue ye

22This text is the corrected text. The original is 5 (KL)4
fayre and large houses for marchantes: namely the corner house
at the ende of Bassinges hall streete, an old peece of worke buil
ded of stone &c. a part whereof hath beene lately imployed as a
market house for the sale of Wollen, Bayes, Wodmels, Fla
nels and such like. In this north side against the olde Iury, is
Colemanstreete, so called of Coleman the first Builder and Ow
ner thereof, as also of Cole church or Coleman church, against the
great conduite in Cheape. This is a fayre and large streete re
plenished on both sides with diuers fayre houses, besides Allies and
small Tenementes in great number.
On the east side of this streete, almost at the north ende there
of, is the Armorers hal: also on the same side is kinges Alley, and
Loue lane, both conteyning many Tenements. And on the west
side towardes the south end is the parish Church of S. Stephen,
where the monumentes are defaced, there is one Tombe on the
South side the Quire but without inscription. I read that Tho
mas Bradbury
Mercer Maior, in the yeare 1509. was buried
there, his Tomb is on the north side the Quire, & also one Edmond
Curriar to bee a great benefactor, Sir Iohn Garme,
Skirringham, 1468. Richard Hamney 1418. Richard Colsel,
&c. By the east end of this church is placed a Cocke of sweete
Cocke of
water by the
taken out of the maine pipe that goeth into Lothbery: also
in London wal directly against the north end of Coleman streete,
haue yee a conduite of water made at the charges of Thomas Ex
Goldsmith Maior, 1517. And let here be the ende of this
ward, which hath an Alderman his deputie, common Councellors
foure, Constables foure, Scauengers foure, of the Wardmote
inquest thirteene and a Beadle. It is taxed to the fifteene, in Lon
, at 19. £. and in the Exchequer’ at 19.l.

Cite this page

MLA citation

Stow, John, and William fitz-Stephen. Survey of London (1598): Coleman Street Ward. The Map of Early Modern London, Edition 7.0, edited by Janelle Jenstad, U of Victoria, 05 May 2022, mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/7.0/stow_1598_COLE2.htm.

Chicago citation

Stow, John, and William fitz-Stephen. Survey of London (1598): Coleman Street Ward. The Map of Early Modern London, Edition 7.0. Ed. Janelle Jenstad. Victoria: University of Victoria. Accessed May 05, 2022. mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/7.0/stow_1598_COLE2.htm.

APA citation

Stow, J., & fitz-Stephen, W. 2022. Survey of London (1598): Coleman Street Ward. In J. Jenstad (Ed), The Map of Early Modern London (Edition 7.0). Victoria: University of Victoria. Retrieved from https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/editions/7.0/stow_1598_COLE2.htm.

RIS file (for RefMan, RefWorks, EndNote etc.)

Provider: University of Victoria
Database: The Map of Early Modern London
Content: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

A1  - Stow, John
A1  - fitz-Stephen, William
ED  - Jenstad, Janelle
T1  - Survey of London (1598): Coleman Street Ward
T2  - The Map of Early Modern London
ET  - 7.0
PY  - 2022
DA  - 2022/05/05
CY  - Victoria
PB  - University of Victoria
LA  - English
UR  - https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/7.0/stow_1598_COLE2.htm
UR  - https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/7.0/xml/standalone/stow_1598_COLE2.xml
ER  - 

TEI citation

<bibl type="mla"><author><name ref="#STOW6"><surname>Stow</surname>, <forename>John</forename></name></author>, and <author><name ref="#FITZ1"><forename>William</forename> <surname>fitz-Stephen</surname></name></author>. <title level="a">Survey of London (1598): Coleman Street Ward</title>. <title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title>, Edition <edition>7.0</edition>, edited by <editor><name ref="#JENS1"><forename>Janelle</forename> <surname>Jenstad</surname></name></editor>, <publisher>U of Victoria</publisher>, <date when="2022-05-05">05 May 2022</date>, <ref target="https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/7.0/stow_1598_COLE2.htm">mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/7.0/stow_1598_COLE2.htm</ref>.</bibl>