Sessions House

Located on Old Bailey near Newgate, the Sessions House served as the meeting place for the Chamberlain of London’s court. The mayor and justices of the City also kept sessions in the building’s Sessions Hall (Stow 1598, sig. X6r). While the Sessions House was destroyed in the Great Fire of London, it was rebuilt in 1673 (The Proceedings of the Old Bailey, History of The Old Bailey Courthouse). The building was reconstructed again in 1774 and in 1907 was expanded to its modern-day size (The Proceedings of the Old Bailey, History of The Old Bailey Courthouse). The courthouse is located in the center of the Agas Map, though it is not labelled. It is also depicted on Rocque and Pine’s 1746 map (A Plan of the Cities of London and Westminster, and Borough of Southwark with Contiguous Buildings), where it is labelled Sessions H. The Sessions House is now called the Old Bailey, the Justice Hall, and the Central Criminal Court (The Proceedings of the Old Bailey, History of The Old Bailey Courthouse).

References