St. Mary Spital

roseAgas Map
St. Mary Spital was an Augustinian Priory and Hospital on the east side of Bishopsgate Street. The Priory dates from 1197. The old precinct of St. Mary Spital is visible on the Agas map. The church itself was demolished after the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539. By the time the Agas map was drawn, many of the priory buildings had been removed and the area appears sparse. Only the chapel of St. Edmund and Mary Magdalen and the Pulpit Cross remained. According to Stow, the priory held lands from Berwards lane [also called Hog Lane] toward the South, and extendeth in breadth to the parish of Saint Leonard of Soresditch towards the North, and in length, from the Kings streete [possibly Bishopsgate Street] on the west to the Bishops of Londons field, called Lollesworth on the East (Stow). In addition, the priory owned and leased the land occupied by the Tower of London Artillery Yard (Harben). The priory continued its mission until the Dissolution of the Monasteries; when it surrendered it had 180. beds well furnished, for receipt of the poore (Stow).

References