St. George Southwark (Parish)

The parish of St. George was located just south of the area depicted on the Agas map. According to John Stow, the parish of St. George was one of five parishes in Southwark alongside St. Saviour, St. Thomas, St. Olave, and St. Mary Magdalen, although modern accounts place the parish of St. Mary Magdalen outside of the borough of Southwark (Boulton 9). In 1550, Edward VI granted the Corporation of London rights over all waifs and strays, treasure trove, deodand, goods of felons and fugitives and escheats and forfeitures in the borough of Southwark, which included the parish of St. George (Malden).

References