Austin Friars

Austin Friars was a church on the west side of Broad Street in Broad Street Ward. It was formerly part of the Priory of Augustine Friars, established in 1253. At the dissolution of the monastery in 1539, the West end [of the church] thereof inclosed from the steeple, and Quier, was in the yeare 1550. graunted to the Dutch Nation in London [by Edward VI], to be their preaching place (Stow). The Quier and side Isles to the Quier adioyning, he reserued to housholde vses, as for stowage of corne, coale, and other things (Stow). The church, completely rebuilt in the nineteenth century and then again mid-way through the twentieth century, still belongs to Dutch Protestants to this day.
Austin Friars, formerly the Priory of Augustine Friars, is clearly marked S Augusti. on the Agas map. The church is the largest building on the west side of Broad Street and dwarfs the small church of St. Peter le Poor at its southeast corner.

References