York House

Located on the northern bank of the Thames, York House was just west of Durham House, on the south side of the Strand. Records of York House date back to the thirteenth century, when the location was owned by the Bishops of Norwich and was referred to as Norwich Place (Gater and Wheeler). In 1536, Henry VIII granted Norwich Place to Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk (Gater and Wheeler). In 1556, the Archbishop of York, Nicholas Heath, purchased the residence, which would thereafter be called York House (Stow 1598, sig. 2B3r).
York House is labelled on the Agas map as York Pl and is not to be confused with York Place, the residence of Archbishop of York Thomas Wolsey, which was seized by Henry VIII and renamed Whitehall.

References

  • Citation

    Gater, G.H. and E.P. Wheeler, eds. St. Martin-in-The-Fields II: The Strand. Vol. 18 of Survey of London. London: London County Council, 1937. Remediated by British History Online.

    This item is cited in the following documents: