Bath Inn

In terms of the history of the site, Victor Belcher and Martha Carlin note that Bath Inn was built in 1414 and by 1423 it was inherited by Richard Hankeford who became Lord Fitzwaryn in the right of his wife (Carlin and Belcher 74). As such, the site was known as Fitzwaryn’s Inn. When the property came into the ownership of John Bourchier, who became the Earl of Bath in 1536, the location became known as Bath House or Bath Inn. When the Earl of Bath sold the property in 1621, the name of the house changed again to Brook House (Williams 525-7).


Cite this page

MLA citation

Bath Inn. The Map of Early Modern London, Edition 6.6, edited by Janelle Jenstad, U of Victoria, 30 Jun. 2021, INP.

Chicago citation

Bath Inn. The Map of Early Modern London, Edition 6.6. Ed. Janelle Jenstad. Victoria: University of Victoria. Accessed June 30, 2021. INP.

APA citation

2021. Bath Inn. In J. Jenstad (Ed), The Map of Early Modern London (Edition 6.6). Victoria: University of Victoria. Retrieved from INP.

RIS file (for RefMan, RefWorks, EndNote etc.)

Provider: University of Victoria
Database: The Map of Early Modern London
Content: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

ED  - Jenstad, Janelle
T1  - Bath Inn
T2  - The Map of Early Modern London
ET  - 6.6
PY  - 2021
DA  - 2021/06/30
CY  - Victoria
PB  - University of Victoria
LA  - English
UR  -
UR  -
ER  - 

TEI citation

<bibl type="mla"> <title level="a">Bath Inn</title>. <title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title>, Edition <edition>6.6</edition>, edited by <editor><name ref="#JENS1"><forename>Janelle</forename> <surname>Jenstad</surname></name></editor>, <publisher>U of Victoria</publisher>, <date when="2021-06-30">30 Jun. 2021</date>, <ref target=""></ref>. INP.</bibl>


Variant spellings