Blackfriars (Holborn)

Standing just west of Holborn Bridge, the site that would become the original Blackfriars precinct was acquired by the Dominican friars (known in England as the Black friars) circa 1223 through a donation from Hubert de Burgh. Over the next forty years, the friary expanded westward to Shoe Lane and southward along the Fleet to Smallbridge Lane. By the 1270s, the site occupied 4 acres and contained a church, a chapter house, and one or two wings of accommodation. The friars left the Holborn friary in the 1280s to establish a new friary, Blackfriars (Farringdon Within), on a more prestigious site. The Holborn site was sold in 1286 to Henry de Lacy (Holder 1–26).


Cite this page

MLA citation

Blackfriars (Holborn). The Map of Early Modern London, Edition 6.6, edited by Janelle Jenstad, U of Victoria, 30 Jun. 2021, INP.

Chicago citation

Blackfriars (Holborn). The Map of Early Modern London, Edition 6.6. Ed. Janelle Jenstad. Victoria: University of Victoria. Accessed June 30, 2021. INP.

APA citation

2021. Blackfriars (Holborn). In J. Jenstad (Ed), The Map of Early Modern London (Edition 6.6). Victoria: University of Victoria. Retrieved from INP.

RIS file (for RefMan, RefWorks, EndNote etc.)

Provider: University of Victoria
Database: The Map of Early Modern London
Content: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

ED  - Jenstad, Janelle
T1  - Blackfriars (Holborn)
T2  - The Map of Early Modern London
ET  - 6.6
PY  - 2021
DA  - 2021/06/30
CY  - Victoria
PB  - University of Victoria
LA  - English
UR  -
UR  -
ER  - 

TEI citation

<bibl type="mla"> <title level="a">Blackfriars (Holborn)</title>. <title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title>, Edition <edition>6.6</edition>, edited by <editor><name ref="#JENS1"><forename>Janelle</forename> <surname>Jenstad</surname></name></editor>, <publisher>U of Victoria</publisher>, <date when="2021-06-30">30 Jun. 2021</date>, <ref target=""></ref>. INP.</bibl>



Variant spellings