Bath Inn

In terms of the history of the site, Victor Belcher and Martha Carlin note that Bath Inn was built in 1414 and by 1423 it was inherited by Richard Hankeford who became Lord Fitzwaryn in the right of his wife (Carlin and Belcher 74). As such, the site was known as Fitzwaryn’s Inn. When the property came into the ownership of John Bourchier, who became the Earl of Bath in 1536, the location became known as Bath House or Bath Inn. When the Earl of Bath sold the property in 1621, the name of the house changed again to Brook House (Williams 525-7).

References