Blackfriars Stairs
According to Carlin and Belcher, these stairs were
possibly constructed [in] 1294(66). Henry A. Harben elaborates:
In 1294 a quay was in course of construction at the house of the Friars Preachers, and in the description of the house and precinct as it stood at the death of Thomas Cawardine, Gap in transcription. Reason: Editorial omission for reasons of length or relevance. Use only in quotations in born-digital documents.[…] mention is made of the lane which led to the ’comon Staires of the Thames’ as one of the boundaries(79). The aforementioned lane is Water Lane.
References
-
Citation
Carlin, Martha, and Victor Belcher.Gazetteer to the c.1270 and c.1520 Maps with Historical Notes.
The British Atlas of Historic Towns. Vol. 3. The City of London From Prehistoric Times to c.1520. Ed. Mary D. Lobel and W.H. Johns. Oxford: Oxford UP in conjunction with The Historic Towns Trust, 1989. Print. [Also available online at British Historic Towns Atlas. Gazetteer part 1. Gazetteer part 2. Gazetteer part 3.]This item is cited in the following documents:
-
Citation
Harben, Henry A. A Dictionary of London. London: Herbert Jenkins, 1918.This item is cited in the following documents: