All Hallows the Great
All Hallows the Great was a church located on the south side of Thames Street and on the east side of Church Lane. It was also known as
All Hallows le grant,
All Hallows at the Hay,and
All Hallows the More in Thames Street(Harben). It is not labelled on the Agas map.
Stow describes All Hallows the Great as a
faire church with a large cloyſter,but adds that it has been
foulely defaced & ruinated(Stow 182). According to Harben, the church was restored in both 1627 and then again after the Great Fire of London in 1666.
When Harben was writing in 1918 the churchyard remained intact, even though all but
the tower and vestry had been removed in 1893.They were bombed in 1939. Weinreb, Hibbert, Keay, and Keay note that
in 1969 the churchyard was removed and Mondial House was built on the site(Harben; Weinreb 18).
References
-
Citation
Harben, Henry A. A Dictionary of London. London: Herbert Jenkins, 1918.This item is cited in the following documents:
-
, and .
Survey of London: Dowgate Ward.
The Map of Early Modern London, edited by , U of Victoria, 15 Sep. 2020, mapoflondon.uvic.ca/stow_1598_DOWN1.htm. -
Citation
Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Remediated by British History Online.This item is cited in the following documents:
-
Citation
Weinreb, Ben, Christopher Hibbert, Julia Keay, and John Keay. The London Encyclopaedia. 3rd ed. London: Macmillan, 2008. Print.This item is cited in the following documents: