<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-model href="../schemas/tei_lite.rng" type="application/xml" schematypens="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0"?>
<?xml-model href="../schemas/tei_lite.rng" type="application/xml" schematypens="http://purl.oclc.org/dsdl/schematron"?>

<TEI xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0" xml:id="CAST2">
<teiHeader>
        <fileDesc>
            <titleStmt>
              <title>Castle Baynard Ward</title>
              <respStmt>
                <resp ref="#ccp">Conceptor<date>2004</date></resp>
                <name ref="#JENS1">Janelle Jenstad</name>
              </respStmt>
              <respStmt>
                <resp ref="#aut">Abstract Author<date>2021</date></resp>
                <name ref="#ZABE1">Jamie Zabel</name>
              </respStmt>
              <respStmt>
                <resp ref="#trc">Transcriber<date>2004</date></resp>
                <name ref="#CHER1">Melanie Chernyk</name>
              </respStmt>
              <respStmt>
                <resp ref="#mrk">Markup Editor<date>2021</date></resp>
                <name ref="#ZABE1">Jamie Zabel</name>
              </respStmt>
              <respStmt>
                <resp ref="#pfr">Transcription Proofreader<date>2021</date></resp>
                <name ref="#ZABE1">Jamie Zabel</name>
              </respStmt>
              <respStmt>
                <resp ref="#trc">Transcriber<date>2004</date></resp>
                <name ref="#JENS1">Janelle Jenstad</name>
              </respStmt>
            <respStmt>
<resp ref="#dtm">Data Manager<date/></resp>
<name ref="#LAND2">Tye Landels</name>
</respStmt>
<respStmt>
               <resp ref="#prg">Junior Programmer<date/></resp>
               <name ref="#TAKE1">Joey Takeda</name>
            </respStmt>
            <respStmt>
               <resp ref="#prg">Programmer<date/></resp>
               <name ref="#HOLM3">Martin Holmes</name>
            </respStmt>
            <respStmt>
               <resp ref="#rth">Associate Project Director<date/></resp>
               <name ref="#MCFI1">Kim McLean-Fiander</name>
            </respStmt>
            <respStmt>
               <resp ref="#pdr">Project Director<date/></resp>
               <name ref="#JENS1">Janelle Jenstad</name>
            </respStmt>
         </titleStmt>
            
         <publicationStmt>
      <publisher><title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title></publisher><idno type="URL">http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/includes.xml</idno><pubPlace>Victoria, BC, Canada</pubPlace><address>
        <addrLine>Department of English</addrLine>
        <addrLine>P.O.Box 3070 STNC CSC</addrLine>
        <addrLine>University of Victoria</addrLine>
        <addrLine>Victoria, BC</addrLine>
        <addrLine>Canada</addrLine>
        <addrLine>V8W 3W1</addrLine>
    </address><date>2016</date><distributor>University of Victoria</distributor><idno type="ISBN">978-1-55058-519-3</idno><authority>
          <name ref="#JENS1">Janelle Jenstad</name>
          <ref target="mailto:london@uvic.ca">london@uvic.ca</ref>
        </authority><availability>
            <p>Copyright held by <title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title> on behalf of the contributors.</p>
            <licence target="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/">
              <p>This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. </p>
            </licence>
            <p>Further details of licences are available from our
              <ref target="licence.xml">Licences</ref> page. For more
              information, contact the project director, <name ref="#JENS1">Janelle Jenstad</name>, for
              specific information on the availability and licensing of content
              found in files on this site.</p>
        </availability>
    </publicationStmt>
    
          
        <notesStmt><note xml:id="CAST2_citationsByStyle"><listBibl>
<bibl type="ris"><code>Provider: University of Victoria
Database: The Map of Early Modern London
Content: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

TY  - ELEC
A1  - Zabel, Jamie
ED  - Jenstad, Janelle
T1  - Castle Baynard Ward
T2  - The Map of Early Modern London
ET  - 7.0
PY  - 2022
DA  - 2022/05/05
CY  - Victoria
PB  - University of Victoria
LA  - English
UR  - https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/7.0/CAST2.htm
UR  - https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/7.0/xml/standalone/CAST2.xml
ER  - </code></bibl>
<bibl type="mla"><author><name ref="#ZABE1"><name type="surname">Zabel</name>, <name type="forename">Jamie</name></name></author>. <title level="a">Castle Baynard Ward</title>. <title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title>, Edition <edition>7.0</edition>, edited by <editor><name ref="#JENS1"><name type="forename">Janelle</name> <name type="surname">Jenstad</name></name></editor>, <publisher>U of Victoria</publisher>, <date>05 May 2022</date>, <ref target="https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/7.0/CAST2.htm">mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/7.0/CAST2.htm</ref>.</bibl>
<bibl type="chicago"><author><name ref="#ZABE1"><name type="surname">Zabel</name>, <name type="forename">Jamie</name></name></author>. <title level="a">Castle Baynard Ward</title>. <title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title>, Edition <edition>7.0</edition>. Ed. <editor><name ref="#JENS1"><name type="forename">Janelle</name> <name type="surname">Jenstad</name></name></editor>. <pubPlace>Victoria</pubPlace>: <publisher>University of Victoria</publisher>. Accessed <date>May 05, 2022</date>. <ref target="https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/7.0/CAST2.htm">mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/7.0/CAST2.htm</ref>.</bibl>
<bibl type="apa"><author><name><name type="surname">Zabel</name>, <name type="forename">J.</name></name></author> <date>2022</date>. <title>Castle Baynard Ward</title>. In <editor><name ref="#JENS1"><name type="forename">J.</name> <name type="surname">Jenstad</name></name></editor> (Ed), <title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title> (Edition <edition>7.0</edition>). <pubPlace>Victoria</pubPlace>: <publisher>University of Victoria</publisher>. Retrieved  from <ref target="https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/edition/7.0/CAST2.htm">https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/editions/7.0/CAST2.htm</ref>.</bibl>
</listBibl></note><note n="abstract"><p><ref target="CAST2.xml">Castle Baynard Ward</ref> is west of <ref target="#QUEE3">Queenhithe Ward</ref> and <ref target="#BREA3">Bread Street Ward</ref>. The ward is named after <ref target="#BAYN1">Baynard’s Castle</ref>, one of its main ornaments.</p></note><note n="personography"><list type="person"><item xml:id="ZABE1">
      <name type="person">
       <reg>Jamie Zabel</reg>
       <name type="forename">Jamie</name>
       <name type="surname">Zabel</name>
       <abbr>JZ</abbr>
      </name>
      <note><p>Research Assistant, 2020-2021. Managing Encoder, 2020-2021. Jamie Zabel was an MA student at the University of Victoria in the Department of English. She completed her BA in English at the University of British Columbia in 2017. She published a paper in University College London’s graduate publication <title level="j">Moveable Type</title> (2020) and presented at the University of Victoria’s 2021 Digital Humanities Summer Institute. During her time at MoEML, she made significant contributions to the 1598 and 1633 editions of Stow’s <title level="m">Survey</title> as proofreader, editor, and encoder, coordinated the encoding of the 1633 edition, and researched and authored a number of encyclopedia articles and geo-coordinates to supplement both editions. She also played a key role in managing the correction process of MoEML’s Gazetteer.</p>
      </note>
     </item><item xml:id="TAKE1">
      <name type="person">
       <reg>Joey Takeda</reg>
       <name type="forename">Joey</name>
       <name type="surname">Takeda</name>
       <abbr>JT</abbr>
      </name>
      <note>
       <p>Programmer, 2018-present. Junior Programmer, 2015-2017. Research Assistant, 2014-2017.
        Joey Takeda was a graduate student at the University of British Columbia in the Department
        of English (Science and Technology research stream). He completed his BA honours in English
        (with a minor in Women’s Studies) at the University of Victoria in 2016. His primary
        research interests included diasporic and indigenous Canadian and American literature,
        critical theory, cultural studies, and the digital humanities.</p>
      </note>
     </item><item xml:id="LAND2">
      <name type="person">
       <reg>Tye Landels-Gruenewald</reg>
       <name type="forename">Tye</name>
       <name type="surname">Landels-Gruenewald</name>
       <abbr>TLG</abbr>
      </name>
      <note>
       <p>Data Manager, 2015-2016. Research Assistant, 2013-2015. Tye completed his undergraduate
        honours degree in English at the University of Victoria in 2015.</p>
      </note>
     </item><item xml:id="CHER1">
      <name type="person">
       <reg>Melanie Chernyk</reg>
       <name type="forename">Melanie</name>
       <name type="surname">Chernyk</name>
       <abbr>MJC</abbr>
      </name>
      <note>
       <p>Research Assistant, 2004–2008. BA honours, 2006. MA English, University of Victoria, 2007.
        Melanie Chernyk went on to work at the <ref target="http://etcl.uvic.ca/">Electronic Textual
         Cultures Lab</ref> at the University of Victoria and now manages Talisman Books and Gallery
        on Pender Island, BC. She also has her own editing business at <ref target="http://26letters.ca/">http://26letters.ca</ref>.</p>
      </note>
     </item><item xml:id="MCFI1">
      <name type="person">
       <reg>Kim McLean-Fiander</reg>
       <name type="forename">Kim</name>
       <name type="surname">McLean-Fiander</name>
       <abbr>KMF</abbr>
      </name>
      <note>
       <p>Director of Pedagogy and Outreach, 2015–2020. Associate Project Director, 2015.
        Assistant Project Director, 2013-2014. MoEML Research Fellow, 2013. Kim McLean-Fiander comes
        to <title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title> from the <ref target="http://cofk.history.ox.ac.uk/"><title level="m">Cultures of Knowledge</title></ref>
        digital humanities project at the <ref target="http://www.ox.ac.uk/">University of
         Oxford</ref>, where she was the editor of <ref target="http://emlo.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/"><title level="m">Early Modern Letters Online</title></ref>, an open-access union
        catalogue and editorial interface for correspondence from the sixteenth to eighteenth
        centuries. She is currently Co-Director of a sister project to <ref target="http://emlo.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/"><title level="m">EMLO</title></ref> called <title level="m">Women’s Early Modern Letters Online</title> (<ref target="http://wemlo.net/"><title level="m">WEMLO</title></ref>). In the past, she held an internship with the
        curator of manuscripts at the <ref target="https://www.folger.edu/">Folger Shakespeare
         Library</ref>, completed a doctorate at <ref target="http://www.ox.ac.uk/">Oxford</ref> on
        paratext and early modern women writers, and worked a number of years for the <ref target="http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/">Bodleian Libraries</ref> and as a freelance editor.
        She has a passion for rare books and manuscripts as social and material artifacts, and is
        interested in the development of digital resources that will improve access to these
        materials while ensuring their ongoing preservation and conservation. An avid traveler, Kim
        has always loved both London and maps, and so is particularly delighted to be able to bring
        her early modern scholarly expertise to bear on the MoEML project.</p>
      </note>
     </item><item xml:id="JENS1">
      <name type="person">
       <reg>Janelle Jenstad</reg>
       <name type="forename">Janelle</name>
       <name type="surname">Jenstad</name>
       <abbr>JJ</abbr>
      </name>
      <note>
       <p>Janelle Jenstad is Associate Professor of English at the University of Victoria, Director
        of <title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title>, and PI of <title level="m">Linked Early Modern Drama Online</title>. She has taught at Queen’s University, the Summer
        Academy at the Stratford Festival, the University of Windsor, and the University of
        Victoria. With Jennifer Roberts-Smith and Mark Kaethler, she co-edited <title level="m">Shakespeare’s Language in Digital Media</title> (<ref target="https://www.routledge.com/Shakespeares-Language-in-Digital-Media-Old-Words-New-Tools/Jenstad-Kaethler-Roberts-Smith/p/book/9781472427977">Routledge</ref>). She has prepared a documentary edition of John Stow’s <title level="m">A
         Survey of London</title> (1598 text) for MoEML and is currently editing <title level="m">The Merchant of Venice</title> (with Stephen Wittek) and Heywood’s <title level="m">2 If
         You Know Not Me You Know Nobody</title> for DRE. Her articles have appeared in <title level="j">Digital Humanities Quarterly</title>, <title level="j">Renaissance and
         Reformation</title>,<title level="j">Journal of Medieval and Early Modern Studies</title>,
         <title level="j">Early Modern Literary Studies</title>, <title level="j">Elizabethan
         Theatre</title>, <title level="j">Shakespeare Bulletin: A Journal of Performance
         Criticism</title>, and <title level="j">The Silver Society Journal</title>. Her book
        chapters have appeared (or will appear) in <title level="m">Institutional Culture in Early
         Modern Society</title> (Brill, 2004), <title level="m">Shakespeare, Language and the Stage,
         The Fifth Wall: Approaches to Shakespeare from Criticism, Performance and Theatre
         Studies</title> (Arden/Thomson Learning, 2005), <title level="m">Approaches to Teaching
         Othello</title> (Modern Language Association, 2005), <title level="m">Performing Maternity
         in Early Modern England</title> (Ashgate, 2007), <title level="m">New Directions in the
         Geohumanities: Art, Text, and History at the Edge of Place</title> (Routledge, 2011), Early
        Modern Studies and the Digital Turn (Iter, 2016), <title level="m">Teaching Early Modern
         English Literature from the Archives</title> (MLA, 2015), <title level="m">Placing Names:
         Enriching and Integrating Gazetteers</title> (Indiana, 2016), <title level="m">Making
         Things and Drawing Boundaries</title> (Minnesota, 2017), and <title level="m">Rethinking
         Shakespeare’s Source Study: Audiences, Authors, and Digital Technologies</title>
        (Routledge, 2018).</p>
      </note>
     </item><item xml:id="HOLM3">
      <name type="person">
       <reg>Martin D. Holmes</reg>
       <name type="forename">Martin</name>
       <name type="forename">D.</name>
       <name type="surname">Holmes</name>
       <abbr>MDH</abbr>
      </name>
      <note>
       <p>Programmer at the University of Victoria Humanities Computing and Media Centre (HCMC).
        Martin ported the MOL project from its original PHP incarnation to a pure eXist database
        implementation in the fall of 2011. Since then, he has been lead programmer on the project
        and has also been responsible for maintaining the project schemas. He was a co-applicant on
        MoEML’s 2012 SSHRC Insight Grant.</p>
      </note>
     </item></list></note></notesStmt><sourceDesc><bibl>Born digital. Contains information about the ward and links to other parts of the project. 1603 transcription from <ref type="bibl" target="#STOW8">Stow</ref>.</bibl>
<listBibl>
<bibl xml:id="STOW1" type="both">
            <author><name ref="PERS1.xml#STOW6">Stow, John</name></author>. <title level="m">A Survey of
              London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603</title>. Ed. <editor>Charles Lethbridge
                Kingsford</editor>. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, <date>1908</date>. See also the <ref target="https://www.british-history.ac.uk/no-series/survey-of-london-stow/1603">digital transcription of this edition</ref> at British History Online.</bibl>
<bibl xml:id="STOW8" type="both">
            <author><name ref="PERS1.xml#STOW6">Stow, John</name></author>. <title level="m">A suruay of
              London· Conteyning the originall, antiquity, increase, moderne estate, and description
              of that city, written in the yeare 1598. by Iohn Stow citizen of London. Since by the
              same author increased, with diuers rare notes of antiquity, and published in the
              yeare, 1603. Also an apologie (or defence) against the opinion of some men, concerning
              that citie, the greatnesse thereof. VVith an appendix, contayning in Latine Libellum
              de situ &amp; nobilitate Londini: written by William Fitzstephen, in the raigne of
              Henry the second</title>. London: John Windet, <date>1603</date>. STC <idno type="STC">23343</idno>. U of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign Campus) copy.</bibl>
<bibl xml:id="STOW15" type="both">
            <author><name ref="PERS1.xml#STOW6">Stow, John</name></author>. <title level="m">A Survey of
              London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603</title>. Ed. <editor>Charles Lethbridge
                Kingsford</editor>. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, <date>1908</date>.
            Remediated by British History Online. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of <ref target="http://www.history.ac.uk/cmh/main">The Centre for Metropolitan History</ref>.
            Articles written after 2011 cite from <ref target="https://www.british-history.ac.uk/no-series/survey-of-london-stow/1603">this searchable transcription</ref>.]</bibl>
</listBibl>

<list type="place">
<item xml:id="QUEE3">
<name type="place">Queenhithe Ward</name>
<note>
<p><ref target="#QUEE3">Queenhithe Ward</ref> is located east of <ref target="CAST2.xml">Castle Baynard Ward</ref> and west of <ref target="VINT2.xml">Vintry Ward</ref> bordering the north bank of the <ref target="#THAM2">Thames</ref>. It is named after the <ref target="QUEE2.xml">Queenhithe water-gate</ref> (<ref type="mol:bibl" target="stow_1633_QUEE3.xml#stow_1633_QUEE3_sig_2M1r">Stow 1633, sig. 2M1r</ref>).</p>
<lb/>(<ref target="QUEE3.xml">QUEE3.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="BREA3">
<name type="place">Bread Street Ward</name>
<note>
<p><ref target="#BREA3">Bread Street Ward</ref> is east of <ref target="CAST2.xml">Castle Baynard Ward</ref> and <ref target="FARR1.xml">Farringdon Within Ward</ref>. The ward takes its name from its main street, <ref target="BREA1.xml">Bread Street</ref>, <q>ſo called of bread in olde time there ſold</q> (<ref target="#BREA3_1603Excerpt">Stow 1603</ref>).</p>
<lb/>(<ref target="BREA3.xml">BREA3.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="BAYN1">
<name type="place">Baynard’s Castle</name>
<note>
<p>Located on the banks of the <ref target="#THAM2">Thames</ref>, <ref target="#BAYN1">Baynard’s Castle</ref> was built sometime
            in the <date>late eleventh century</date> <q>by <name ref="PERS1.xml#BAYN3">Baynard</name>, a Norman who came over with <name ref="PERS1.xml#WILL1">William the Conqueror</name></q> (<ref type="bibl" target="BIBL1.xml#WEIN1">Weinreb and Hibbert 129</ref>). The castle passed to
            <name ref="PERS1.xml#BAYN3">Baynard</name>’s heirs until one <name ref="PERS1.xml#BAYN2">William Baynard</name>, <q>who by forfeyture for
            fellonie, lost his Baronie of little Dunmow</q> (<ref type="bibl" target="#STOW1">Stow 1:61</ref>). From the time it was built, <ref target="#BAYN1">Baynard’s Castle</ref> was <q>the headquarters of London’s
            army until the reign of <name ref="PERS1.xml#EDWA1">Edward I</name></q> when it was <q>handed over to the Dominican Friars,
            the Blackfriars whose name is still commemorated along that part of the
            waterfront</q> (<ref type="bibl" target="BIBL1.xml#HIBB1">Hibbert 10</ref>).</p>
<lb/>(<ref target="BAYN1.xml">BAYN1.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="THAM2">
<name type="place">The Thames</name>
<note>
Information is not yet available.
<lb/>(<ref target="THAM2.xml">THAM2.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="HUNT2">
<name type="place">Huntington House</name>
<note>
<p>Previously called the New Inn or Beaumontes Inn, this house once belonged to the Earls of Huntington. The Huntington house marks the eastern corner of Castle Baynard Ward. </p>
<lb/>(<ref target="HUNT2.xml">HUNT2.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="PAUL2">
<name type="place">Paul’s Wharf</name>
<note>
<p>According to Schofield, <ref target="#PAUL2">Paul’s Wharf</ref> is one of the oldest wharfs on the <ref target="#THAM2">Thames</ref> (<ref target="BIBL1.xml#SCHO9" type="bibl">Schofield 181</ref>). Located in both <ref target="CAST2.xml">Castle Baynard Ward</ref> and <ref target="#QUEE3">Queenhithe Ward</ref>, <ref target="#PAUL2">Paul’s Wharf</ref> was situated near <ref target="#STPA2">St. Paul’s Cathedral</ref> and <ref target="STBE1.xml">St. Benet</ref>. Since <ref target="#PAUL2">Paul’s Wharf</ref> was only blocks away from <ref target="#STPA2">St. Paul’s Cathedral</ref>, the clergy used the wharf as a point of travel.</p>
<lb/>(<ref target="PAUL2.xml">PAUL2.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="PUDD2">
<name type="place">Puddle Wharf</name>
<note>
<p><ref target="#PUDD2">Puddle Wharf</ref> was a water gate along the north bank
        of the <ref target="#THAM2">Thames</ref> (<ref type="bibl" target="#STOW15">Stow</ref>). Also known as <ref target="#PUDD2">Puddle Dock</ref>, it was located in <ref target="CAST2.xml">Castle Baynard Ward</ref>, down from <ref target="STAN3.xml">St. Andrew’s Hill</ref>. Puddle Wharf was built in <date>1294</date> to serve as the main quay for Blackfriars
        Monastery. (<ref type="bibl" target="BIBL1.xml#WEIN1">Weinreb and Hibbert 68, 229</ref>). In the
        early modern period, <ref target="#PUDD2">Puddle Wharf</ref> would have been the main landing place for
        playgoers on their way to the <ref target="BLAC6.xml">Blackfriars theatre</ref> via the river.</p>
<lb/>(<ref target="PUDD2.xml">PUDD2.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="BLAC1">
<name type="place">Blackfriars (Farringdon Within)</name>
<note>
<p>The largest and wealthiest friary in <ref target="ENGL2.xml">England</ref>, <ref target="#BLAC1">Blackfriars</ref> was not only a
              religious institution but also a cultural, intellectual, and political centre of <ref target="LOND5.xml">London</ref>. The friary housed 
              <ref target="LOND5.xml">London</ref>’s Dominican friars (known in <ref target="ENGL2.xml">England</ref> as the Black friars) after their move from
              the smaller <ref target="BLAC9.xml">Blackfriars</ref> precincts in <ref target="HOLB1.xml">Holborn</ref>. The Dominicans’ aquisition of the site,
              overseen by <name ref="PERS1.xml#KILW1">Robert Kilwardby</name>, began in <date>1275</date>.
              Once completed, the precinct was second in size only to <ref target="STPA3.xml">St. Paul’s Churchyard</ref>, spanning eight acres from the
              <ref target="FLEE1.xml">Fleet</ref> to <ref target="STAN3.xml">St. Andrew’s Hill</ref> and from <ref target="LUDG1.xml">Ludgate</ref> to the
              <ref target="#THAM2">Thames</ref>. <ref target="#BLAC1">Blackfriars</ref> remained a political and social hub, hosting councils and even
              parlimentary proceedings, until its surrender in <date>1538</date>
              pursuant to <name ref="PERS1.xml#HENR1">Henry VIII</name>’s Dissolution of the Monasteries (<ref type="bibl" target="BIBL1.xml#HOLD4">Holder 27–56</ref>). 
                </p>
<lb/>(<ref target="BLAC1.xml">BLAC1.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="CREE2">
<name type="place">Creed Lane</name>
<note>
Information is not yet available.
<lb/>(<ref target="CREE2.xml">CREE2.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="THAM1">
<name type="place">Thames Street</name>
<note>
<p><ref target="#THAM1">Thames Street</ref> was the longest street
                        in early modern <ref target="LOND5.xml">London</ref>, running east-west from the ditch around the <ref target="TOWE5.xml">Tower of London</ref> in the east to <ref target="STAN3.xml">St. Andrew’s Hill</ref> and <ref target="#PUDD2">Puddle Wharf</ref> in the west, almost the
                        complete span of the city within the walls.</p>
<lb/>(<ref target="THAM1.xml">THAM1.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="STPE5">
<name type="place">St. Peter (Paul’s Wharf)</name>
<note>
Information is not yet available.
<lb/>(<ref target="STPE5.xml">STPE5.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="STPE1">
<name type="place">St. Peter’s Hill</name>
<note>
Information is not yet available.
<lb/>(<ref target="STPE1.xml">STPE1.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="KING2">
<name type="place">King’s Wardrobe</name>
<note>
<p>The <ref target="#KING2">King’s Wardrobe</ref>, built in the fourteenth century between <ref target="STAN3.xml">St. Andrew’s Hill</ref> and <ref target="#ADDL1">Addle Hill</ref> near <ref target="#BLAC1">Blackfriars Precinct</ref>, was originally a repository for royal clothing, but later housed offices of the royal household and became a key seat of government (<ref type="bibl" target="BIBL1.xml#SUGD1">Sugden 557</ref>). <name ref="PERS1.xml#STOW6">Stow</name> explains its significance:
              <cit><q>In this houſe of late yeares, is lodged Sir <name ref="PERS1.xml#FORT4">Iohn Forteſcue</name>, knight,
                  Maiſter of the Wardrobe, Chancellor and vnder Treaſu<lb rend="hidden" type="hyphenInWord"/>rer of the Exchequer, and one of her Maieſties Priuy
                  Councel. The ſecret letters &amp; writings touching the eſtate of the realme, were
                  wont to be introlled in the <ref target="#KING2">kings Wardrobe</ref>, and not
                  in the Chauncery, as appeareth by the Records.</q> <bibl><ref type="mol:bibl" target="stow_1598_CAST2.xml#stow_1598_CAST2_sig_U6r">Stow 1598, sig. U6r</ref></bibl></cit>
          </p>
<lb/>(<ref target="KING2.xml">KING2.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="CART1">
<name type="place">Carter Lane</name>
<note>
 <p><ref target="#CART1">Carter Lane</ref> ran east-west between <ref target="#CREE2">Creed Lane</ref> in the west, past <ref target="#PAUL1">Paul’s Chain</ref>, to <ref target="#OLDC1">Old Change</ref> in the East. It ran parallel to <ref target="STPA3.xml">St. Paul’s Churchyard</ref> in the north and <ref target="#KNIG1">Knightrider Street</ref> in the south. It lay within <ref target="CAST2.xml">Castle Baynard Ward</ref> and <ref target="FARR1.xml">Farringdon Ward Within</ref>. It is labelled as <q>Carter lane</q> on the Agas map.</p>
        
<lb/>(<ref target="CART1.xml">CART1.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="AVEM1">
<name type="place">Ave Maria Lane</name>
<note>
Information is not yet available.
<lb/>(<ref target="AVEM1.xml">AVEM1.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="PATE1">
<name type="place">Paternoster Row</name>
<note>
Information is not yet available.
<lb/>(<ref target="PATE1.xml">PATE1.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="GOLD7">
<name type="place">Golden Lion</name>
<note>
<p>The <ref target="#GOLD7">Golden Lion</ref> was a victualling house located on <ref target="#PATE1">Paternoster Row</ref>, right on the boundary between <ref target="CAST2.xml">Castle Baynard Ward</ref> and <ref target="FARR1.xml">Farringdon Within Ward</ref>. Agas coordinates are based on <name ref="PERS1.xml#STOW6">Stow</name>’s description of the <ref target="#GOLD7">Golden Lion</ref>’s location (<ref type="mol:bibl" target="stow_1633_CAST2.xml#stow_1633_CAST2_sig_2M4v">Stow 1633, sig. 2M4v</ref>, <ref type="mol:bibl" target="stow_1633_FARR1.xml#stow_1633_FARR1_sig_2G1r">sig. 2G1r</ref>).</p>
<lb/>(<ref target="GOLD7.xml">GOLD7.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="WARW1">
<name type="place">Warwick Lane</name>
<note>
<p><ref target="#WARW1">Warwick Lane</ref> or <ref target="#WARW1">Eldenese Lane</ref> ran north-south from <ref target="NEWG3.xml">Newgate Street</ref> to <ref target="#PATE1">Paternoster Row</ref>. Its name is derived from <ref target="WARW2.xml">Warwick’s Inn</ref>, a structure built by one of the Earls of Warwick about the <date>28th year of <name ref="PERS1.xml#HENR2">Henry VI</name>’s reign</date> (<ref type="mol:bibl" target="stow_1633_FARR1.xml#stow_1633_FARR1_sig_2L2v">Stow 1633, sig. 2L2v</ref>).</p>
<lb/>(<ref target="WARW1.xml">WARW1.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="CROW4">
<name type="place">Crown Court (Warwick Lane)</name>
<note>
<p><name ref="PERS1.xml#STOW6">Stow</name> mentions a <q><ref target="#CROW4">signe of the Crowne</ref></q> and later a <q><ref target="#CROW4">Brewhouſe called the Crowne</ref></q> located on the east side of <ref target="#WARW1">Warwicke Lane</ref> near <ref target="#NEWG2">Newgate Market</ref> on the northern boundary of <ref target="CAST2.xml">Castle Baynard Ward</ref> (<ref type="mol:bibl" target="stow_1633_CAST2.xml#stow_1633_CAST2_sig_2M4v">Stow 1633, sig. 2M4v, 2M6v</ref>). Harben mentions a <q>Crown Court</q> out of <ref target="#WARW1">Warwicke Lane</ref> in <ref target="CAST2.xml">Castle Baynard Ward</ref> while <name ref="PERS1.xml#STRY2">Strype</name> mentions a <q>Crown Inn</q> with a passage to <ref target="#NEWG2">Newgate Market</ref> (<ref type="bibl" target="BIBL1.xml#HARB1">Harben</ref>; <ref type="bibl" target="BIBL1.xml#STRY1">Strype 230</ref>). We have listed these locations as the same in lieu of further information. <ref type="bibl" target="BIBL1.xml#AGAS3">Agas Map</ref> coordinates are based on geographical information given by <name ref="PERS1.xml#STOW6">Stow</name> and supplemented by Harben and <name ref="PERS1.xml#STRY2">Strype</name>.</p>
<lb/>(<ref target="CROW4.xml">CROW4.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="NEWG2">
<name type="place">Newgate Market</name>
<note>
Information is not yet available.
<lb/>(<ref target="NEWG2.xml">NEWG2.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="KNIG1">
<name type="place">Knightrider Street</name>
<note>
<p>
            <ref target="#KNIG1">Knightrider Street</ref> ran east-west
            from <ref target="DOWG1.xml">Dowgate Street</ref> to <ref target="#ADDL1">Addle Hill</ref>, crossing <ref target="COLL1.xml">College Hill</ref>, <ref target="GARL1.xml">Garlick Hill</ref>, <ref target="TRIN1.xml">Trinity
                Lane</ref>, <ref target="HUGG2.xml">Huggin Lane</ref>, <ref target="BREA1.xml">Bread Street</ref>, <ref target="OLDF2.xml">Old Fish Street Hill</ref>, <ref target="#LAMB2">Lambert or Lambeth Hill</ref>, <ref target="#STPE1">St. Peter’s Hill</ref>, and <ref target="#PAUL1">Paul’s Chain</ref>. Significant landmarks included: the College of Physicians and <ref target="DOCT1.xml">Doctors’ Commons</ref>.</p>
<lb/>(<ref target="KNIG1.xml">KNIG1.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="BENN1">
<name type="place">Bennet’s Hill</name>
<note>
Information is not yet available.
<lb/>(<ref target="BENN1.xml">BENN1.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="PAUL1">
<name type="place">Paul’s Chain</name>
<note>

      <p><ref target="#PAUL1">Paul’s Chain</ref> was a street that ran north-south between <ref target="STPA3.xml">St Paul’s Churchyard</ref> and <ref target="#PAUL2">Paul’s Wharf</ref>, crossing over <ref target="#CART1">Carter Lane</ref>, <ref target="#KNIG1">Knightrider Street</ref>, and <ref target="#THAM1">Thames Street</ref>. It was in <ref target="CAST2.xml">Castle Baynard Ward</ref>. On the Agas map, it is labelled <q>Paules chayne</q>. The precinct wall around <ref target="#STPA2">St. Paul’s Church</ref> had six gates, one of which was on the south side by <ref target="#PAUL1">Paul’s Chain</ref>. It was here that a chain used to be drawn across the carriage-way entrance in order to preserve silence during church services.</p>
  
<lb/>(<ref target="PAUL1.xml">PAUL1.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="ADDL1">
<name type="place">Addle Hill</name>
<note>
<p><ref target="#ADDL1">Addle Hill</ref> or <ref target="#ADDL1">Athelyngstrete</ref> ran north from <ref target="#KNIG1">Knightrider Street</ref> up to <ref target="#CART1">Carter Lane</ref> (<ref type="mol:bibl" target="stow_1633_CAST2.xml#stow_1633_CAST2_sig_2M4v">Stow 1633, sig. 2M4v</ref>). <name ref="PERS1.xml#STOW6">Stow</name> records it running from <ref target="#CART1">Carter Lane</ref> to <ref target="#KNIG1">Knightrider Street</ref> but, as Carlin and Belcher note, it was extended south of <ref target="#THAM1">Thames Street</ref> by <date>1250</date> (<ref type="mol:bibl" target="stow_1633_CAST2.xml#stow_1633_CAST2_sig_2M4v">Stow 1633, sig. 2M4v</ref>; <ref type="bibl" target="BIBL1.xml#CARL4">Carlin and Belcher Athelyngstrete</ref>). <name ref="PERS1.xml#STOW6">Stow</name> may have recorded Addle Hill this way to distinguish between the raised and level portions of the street (<ref type="mol:bibl" target="stow_1633_CAST2.xml#stow_1633_CAST2_sig_2M4v">Stow 1633, sig. 2M4v</ref>). It is labelled <soCalled>Addle Hill</soCalled> on the Agas Map. Carlin and Belcher’s <date>1520</date> map labels the street <soCalled>Athelyngstrete</soCalled> (<ref type="bibl" target="BIBL1.xml#CARL4">Carlin and Belcher Athelyngstrete</ref>). The southern portion of the street was destroyed to allow the formation of Queen Victoria Street in the nineteenth century (<ref type="bibl" target="BIBL1.xml#HARB1">Harben</ref>). There is still an <soCalled>Addle Hill</soCalled> in <ref target="LOND5.xml">London</ref> at the same location though it has been significantly reduced in length. </p>
<lb/>(<ref target="ADDL1.xml">ADDL1.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="LAMB2">
<name type="place">Lambeth Hill</name>
<note>

                <p>
                    <ref target="#LAMB2">Lambeth Hill</ref> ran north-south between <ref target="#KNIG1">Knightrider Street</ref> and <ref target="#THAM1">Thames Street</ref>. Part of it lay in <ref target="#QUEE3">Queenhithe
                        Ward</ref> and part in <ref target="CAST2.xml">Castle Baynard Ward</ref>.
                    The <ref target="BLAC2.xml">Blacksmiths’ Hall</ref> was located on the west side
                    of this street, but the precise location is unknown.</p>
            
<lb/>(<ref target="LAMB2.xml">LAMB2.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="STMA34">
<name type="place">St. Mary Magdalen (Old Fish Street)</name>
<note>
Information is not yet available.
<lb/>(<ref target="STMA34.xml">STMA34.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="STAN7">
<name type="place">St. Andrew by the Wardrobe</name>
<note>
Information is not yet available.
<lb/>(<ref target="STAN7.xml">STAN7.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="OLDC1">
<name type="place">Old Change</name>
<note>
Information is not yet available.
<lb/>(<ref target="OLDC1.xml">OLDC1.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="AUST2">
<name type="place">St. Augustine’s Gate</name>
<note>
Information is not yet available.
<lb/>(<ref target="AUST2.xml">AUST2.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="STAU3">
<name type="place">St. Augustine (Watling Street)</name>
<note>
Information is not yet available.
<lb/>(<ref target="STAU3.xml">STAU3.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="DOLI1">
<name type="place">Do Little Lane</name>
<note>
<p><ref target="#DOLI1">Do Little Lane</ref> was a small lane that ran north-south between <ref target="#CART1">Carter Lane</ref> in the north and <ref target="#KNIG1">Knightrider Street</ref> in the south. It ran parallel between <ref target="#SERM1">Sermon Lane</ref> in the west and <ref target="#OLDC1">Old Change Street</ref> in the east. It lay within <ref target="CAST2.xml">Castle Baynard Ward</ref>. It is labelled as <q><ref target="#DOLI1">Do lytle la.</ref></q> on the Agas map.</p>
<lb/>(<ref target="DOLI1.xml">DOLI1.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="BOAR1">
<name type="place">Boar’s Head Tavern</name>
<note>
Information is not yet available.
<lb/>(<ref target="BOAR1.xml">BOAR1.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="SERM1">
<name type="place">Sermon Lane</name>
<note>
Information is not yet available.
<lb/>(<ref target="SERM1.xml">SERM1.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="STPA7">
<name type="place">St. Paul’s Head Tavern</name>
<note>
Information is not yet available.
<lb/>(<ref target="STPA7.xml">STPA7.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="STPA2">
<name type="place">St. Paul’s Cathedral</name>
<note>
<p><ref target="#STPA2">St. Paul’s Cathedral</ref> was—and remains—an important church in <ref target="LOND5.xml">London</ref>. In <date>962</date>, while <ref target="LOND5.xml">London</ref> was occupied by the Danes, <ref target="#STPA2">St. Paul’s</ref> monastery was burnt and raised anew. The
              church survived the Norman conquest of <date>1066</date>, but in <date>1087</date> it was burnt again.
              An ambitious Bishop named <name ref="PERS1.xml#MAUR1">Maurice</name> took the opportunity to build a new <ref target="#STPA2">St. Paul’s</ref>, even petitioning the king
              to offer a piece of land belonging to one of his castles (<ref type="bibl" target="BIBL1.xml#TIME1">Times 115</ref>). The building <name ref="PERS1.xml#MAUR1">Maurice</name> initiated would
              become the cathedral of <ref target="#STPA2">St. Paul’s</ref>
              which survived until the <ref target="FIRE1.xml">Great Fire of London</ref>. </p>
  	
<lb/>(<ref target="STPA2.xml">STPA2.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="STJA2">
<name type="place">St. Gregory by St. Paul’s</name>
<note>
Information is not yet available.
<lb/>(<ref target="STJA2.xml">STJA2.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="BISH7">
<name type="place">Bishop’s Palace</name>
<note>

                <p><ref target="#BISH7">Bishop’s Palace</ref> was located on the north-west side of <ref target="#STPA2">St. Paul’s Church</ref>. It was bordered on the north by <ref target="#PATE1">Paternoster Row</ref> and on the west by <ref target="#AVEM1">Ave Maria Lane</ref>. Agas coordinates are based on coordinates provided by Harben and supplemented by <name ref="PERS1.xml#STOW6">Stow</name>.</p>
            
<lb/>(<ref target="BISH7.xml">BISH7.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>

<item xml:id="DEAN2">
<name type="place">The Deanery (St. Paul’s)</name>
<note>
<p>The <ref target="#DEAN2">Deanery</ref> at <ref target="#STPA2">St. Paul’s Cathedral</ref> served as the residence for the dean of the cathedral from <date>1145</date> onward, eventually being reconstructed after its destruction in the <ref target="FIRE1.xml">Great Fire of London</ref>. In offering a reconstruction of the site based on the paintings in <name ref="PERS1.xml#DONN1">John Donne</name>’s will, <name ref="PERS1.xml#SCHO10">Schofield</name> states that <q>in <date>1522</date> the deanery contained a hall, parlour, six chambers, two garrets, a chapel and ten feather beds</q> (<ref type="bibl" target="BIBL1.xml#SCHO24">Schofield 153</ref>).</p>
<lb/>(<ref target="DEAN2.xml">DEAN2.xml</ref>)
</note>
</item>
</list>
</sourceDesc></fileDesc>
      <profileDesc>
      <textClass>
    <catRef scheme="includes.xml#molDocumentTypes" target="includes.xml#mdtBornDigital"/>
          <catRef scheme="includes.xml#molDocumentTypes" target="includes.xml#mdtEncyclopediaLocationWard"/></textClass>


  
  
  
  
    </profileDesc>
  
        <encodingDesc>
    
            
                <p>Our editorial and encoding practices are documented in detail in the <ref target="praxis.xml">Praxis</ref> section of our website.</p>
            
        <classDecl><taxonomy xml:id="marcRelators"><category xml:id="aut">
      <catDesc>
       <term>Author</term>
       <gloss type="marcRelator" target="http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/relators/aut.html">A person or
        organization chiefly responsible for the intellectual or artistic content of a work, usually
        printed text. This term may also be used when more than one person or body bears such
        responsibility. </gloss>
       <gloss type="mol">MoEML uses the term <mentioned>author</mentioned> to designate a
        contributor who is wholly or partly responsible for the original content of either a
        born-digital document, such as an encyclopedia entry, or a primary source document, such as
        a MoEML Library text.</gloss>
      </catDesc>
     </category><category xml:id="ccp">
      <catDesc>
       <term>Conceptor</term>
       <gloss type="marcRelator">A person or organization responsible for the original idea on which
        a work is based, this includes the scientific author of an audio-visual item and the
        conceptor of an advertisement.</gloss>
       <gloss type="mol">MoEML uses the term <mentioned>conceptor</mentioned> to designate any
        person or organization responsible for envisioning the design, structure, or general
        function of a page or project within MoEML. We use this term to give credit to early
        contributors whose work has been substantially revised and replaced, or contributors who
        provided input or inspiration on some aspect of the design, structure, and/or implementation
        of a project within MoEML. Acceptable names for this role are conceptor or
        originator.</gloss>
      </catDesc>
     </category><category xml:id="dtm">
      <catDesc>
       <term>Data manager</term>
       <gloss type="marcRelator">A person or organization responsible for managing databases or
        other data sources.</gloss>
       <gloss type="mol">MoEML uses the term <mentioned>data manager</mentioned> to designate
        contributors who maintain and manage our databases. They add and update the data sent to us
        by external contributors or found by MoEML team members. They also monitor journals and
        sources regularly to ensure that our databases are current.</gloss>
      </catDesc>
     </category><category xml:id="mrk">
      <catDesc>
       <term>Markup editor</term>
       <gloss type="marcRelator">A person or organization performing the coding of SGML, HTML, or
        XML markup of metadata, text, etc.</gloss>
       <gloss type="mol">MoEML uses the code <mentioned>mrk</mentioned> both for the primary
        encoder(s) and for the person who edits the encoding. MoEML’s normal workflow includes a
        step whereby encoders check each other’s work. We use the term
         <mentioned>encoder</mentioned> to designate the principal encoder, and <mentioned>markup
         editor</mentioned> to designate the person who checks the encoding.</gloss>
      </catDesc>
     </category><category xml:id="pdr">
      <catDesc>
       <term>Project director</term>
       <gloss type="marcRelator">A person or organization with primary responsibility for all
        essential aspects of a project, or that manages a very large project that demands senior
        level responsibility, or that has overall responsibility for managing projects, or provides
        overall direction to a project manager.</gloss>
       <gloss type="mol">MoEML’s Project Director directs the intellectual and scholarly aspects of
        the project, consults with the Advisory and Editorial Boards, and ensures the ongoing
        funding of the project.</gloss></catDesc>
     </category><category xml:id="pfr">
      <catDesc>
       <term>Proofreader</term>
       <gloss type="marcRelator">A person who corrects printed matter.</gloss>
       <gloss type="mol">MoEML uses the term <mentioned>proofreader</mentioned> to designate a
        contributor who checks a transcription against an original document, or a person who
        corrects formatting and typographical errors in a born-digital article. Note that we use the
        term <mentioned>markup editor</mentioned> to designate a person who proofreads and corrects
        encoding.</gloss>
      </catDesc>
     </category><category xml:id="prg">
      <catDesc>
       <term>Programmer</term>
       <gloss type="marcRelator">A person or organization responsible for the creation and/or
        maintenance of computer program design documents, source code, and machine-executable
        digital files and supporting documentation.</gloss>
       <gloss type="mol">MoEML uses the term <mentioned>programmer</mentioned> to designate a person
        or organization responsible for the creation and/or maintenance of computer program design
        documents, source code, and machine-executable digital files and supporting
        documentation.</gloss></catDesc>
     </category><category xml:id="rth">
      <catDesc>
       <term>Research team head</term>
       <gloss type="marcRelator">A person who directed or managed a research project.</gloss>
       <gloss type="mol">MoEML uses the terms <mentioned>research term head</mentioned> and
         <mentioned>assistant project manager</mentioned> interchangeably.</gloss>
      </catDesc>
     </category><category xml:id="trc">
      <catDesc>
       <term>Transcriber</term>
       <gloss type="marcRelator">A person who prepares a handwritten or typewritten copy from
        original material, including from dictated or orally recorded material.</gloss>
       <gloss type="mol">MoEML uses the term <mentioned>transcriber</mentioned> to designate the
        person or organization that transcribes a primary source. In the case of <title level="m">EEBO-TCP</title> transcribers, we do not know the names of the transcribers. Acceptable
        names for this role are transcriber, first transcriber (often the <title level="m">EEBO-TCP</title> transcriber), or MoEML transcriber.</gloss>
      </catDesc>
     </category></taxonomy></classDecl></encodingDesc>
  
        
      <!--
        Changes recorded here are only major changes or those resulting from 
        automated processing. Later changes should be placed first. A complete
        record of the history of any of our files is available through the Subversion
        log.
      -->
      <revisionDesc status="published">
        <change who="#ZABE1" when="2021-07-14">Added div for BL ward map image.</change>
        <change who="#ZABE1" when="2021-05-12">Reworked metadata. Added abstract and introduction. Added links to 1598 and 1633 chapters. Add xml:ids to divs.</change>
<change who="#HOLM3" when="2021-03-25">Removed old geo coordinates now superceded by GeoJSON.</change>
      <change who="#TAKE1" when="2016-02-27">Added <gi>sourceDesc</gi> information for born-digital documents.</change>
         <change who="#TAKE1" when="2015-06-23">Standardized <gi>respStmt</gi>s for JENS1, MCFI1, and HOLM3 and added TAKE1 as Junior Programmer.</change>
         <change who="#HOLM3" when="2014-09-29">Added XInclude for <gi>listPrefixDef</gi> in the header.</change>
         <change who="#HOLM3" when="2013-12-19">Added global publicationStmt through XInclude.</change>
         <change who="#HOLM3" when="2013-08-23">Eliminated superfluous catRef elements from the header.</change>
         <change who="#HOLM3" when="2013-08-23">Added <gi>catRef</gi> elements based on the <gi>place</gi>/<att>type</att> values in the document.</change>
         <change who="#HOLM3" when="2013-08-13">Put <gi>change</gi> elements inside <gi>revisionDesc</gi> into the correct (latest first) order.</change>
         <change who="#HOLM3" when="2013-08-12">Added <gi>profileDesc</gi> containing document type information expressed in <gi>catRef</gi> elements.</change>
         <change who="#HOLM3" when="2013-02-04">Converted @rend to @style, through XSLT transformation.
      </change>
         <change who="#HOLM3" when="2012-09-10">Added <gi>front</gi> element with <gi>docTitle</gi> as part of a
      normalization process. This will be used as the definitive page title on rendering.</change>
         <change when="2011-10" who="#HOLM3">Various updates and fixes made through XSLT, to standardize and normalize encoding practices.</change>
         <change who="#HOLM3" when="2011-09">
                <list rend="simple">
                    <item>Data in the old INDEX1.xml was merged into this file in the form of a <gi>facsimile</gi> element and a <gi>listPlace</gi> in the body of the text.</item>
                    <item>Various markup errors were fixed, and markup was normalized to some degree, to make it valid against tei_all.</item>
                </list>
            </change>
         
      </revisionDesc>
    </teiHeader><text>
      <front>
         <docTitle>
            <titlePart type="main">Castle Baynard Ward</titlePart>
         </docTitle>
      </front>
        <body>
          <div type="placeInfo" xml:id="CAST2_placeInfo">
              <head>Castle Baynard Ward</head>
              <list type="place">
                <item>
                  <name type="place">Castle Baynard Ward</name>
                  <p>

            Location:
            
                    <code lang="gis"><!--Geographical coordinates will go here when available.--></code>
                  </p>
                </item>
              </list>
            </div>
          <div xml:id="CAST2_intro">
            <head>Introduction</head>
            <p><ref target="CAST2.xml">Castle Baynard Ward</ref> is west of <ref target="#QUEE3">Queenhithe Ward</ref> and <ref target="#BREA3">Bread Street Ward</ref>. The ward is named after <ref target="#BAYN1">Baynard’s Castle</ref>, one of its main ornaments.</p>
          </div>
          <div xml:id="CAST2_mapimage">
            <figure type="fullWidth">
              <graphic url="graphics/BL_images/farringdon_within_and_castle_baynard_ward_map.jpg"/>
              <figDesc>1720: Blome’s Map of Castle Baynard Ward and Farringdon Within Ward. Image courtesy of <ref target="http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlineex/crace/f/largeimage88548.html">British Library Crace Collection</ref>. 
                © British Library Board; Maps Crace Port. 8.23</figDesc>
            </figure>
          </div>
          <div xml:id="CAST2_survey">
            <head>Links to Chapters in the <title level="m">Survey of London</title></head>
            <list>
              <item><ref target="stow_1598_CAST2.xml">1598</ref></item>
              <item>1603 (<ref target="#CAST2_1603Excerpt">see below for excerpt</ref>)</item>
              <item>1618 (forthcoming)</item>
              <item><ref target="stow_1633_CAST2.xml">1633</ref></item>
            </list>
          </div>
          <div xml:id="CAST2_1603Excerpt">
            <head>1603 Description of Ward Boundaries</head>
            <p>The following diplomatic transcription of the opening paragraph(s) of the 1603 chapter on this ward will eventually be subsumed into the MoEML edition of the 1603 <title level="m">Survey</title>.<note type="editorial" resp="#JENS1">The 1603 <title level="m">Survey</title> is widely available in reprints of C.L. Kingsford’s two-volume 1908 edition (<ref type="bibl" target="#STOW1">Kingsford</ref>) and also in the British History Online transcription of the Kingsford edition (<ref type="bibl" target="#STOW15">BHO</ref>). MoEML is completing its editions of all four texts in the following order: 1598, 1633, 1618, and 1603.</note> Each ward chapter opens with a narrative circumnavigation of the ward—a verbal <soCalled>beating of the bounds</soCalled> that MoEML first transcribed in 2004 and later used to facilitate the drawing of approximate ward boundaries on our edition of the Agas map. Source: <ref target="#STOW8" type="bibl">John Stow, <title level="m">A Survey of London</title> (London, 1603; STC #23343)</ref>.</p>
                <p>THe next is <ref target="CAST2.xml">Caſtle Bainard Warde</ref>, ſo
                        named of an olde Caſtle there: this Ward beginneth in the Eaſt, on the
                        <ref target="#THAM2">Thames</ref> ſide, at an houſe called <ref target="#HUNT2">Huntington houſe</ref>, and runneth Weſt by <ref target="#PAUL2">Powles Wharfe</ref>, by <ref target="#BAYN1">Baynards Caſtell</ref>, <ref target="#PUDD2">Puddle Wharffe</ref>, and by the South ſide of <ref target="#BLAC1">Blacke Friers</ref>. Then turning by the Eaſt Wall of the
                        ſayde Friers, to the Southweſt ende of <ref target="#CREE2">Creede lane</ref>. Then on the Northſide of <ref target="#THAM1">Thames ſtreete</ref>, ouer agaynſt <ref target="#HUNT2">Huntington houſe</ref>, by
                        <ref target="#STPE5">Saint Peters Church</ref> and lane, called <ref target="#STPE1">Peter
                          hill</ref>, along till ouer agaynſt <ref target="#PUDD2">Puddle Wharffe</ref>: and then North up by the <ref target="#KING2">great Wardrobe</ref>, to the Weſt ende of <ref target="#CART1">Carter lane</ref>. Then up <ref target="#CREE2">Creede lane</ref>, <ref target="#AVEM1">Aue Mary lane</ref>, and a péece of <ref target="#PATE1">Pater Noſter Rowe</ref>, to the <ref target="#GOLD7">ſigne of the Golden Lion</ref>,
                        and backe againe up <ref target="#WARW1">Warwicke lane</ref>,
                        all the Eaſt ſide thereof, to the <ref target="#CROW4">ſigne of the Crowne</ref> by <ref target="#NEWG2">Newgate Market</ref>: &amp; this is the fartheſt
                        North part of this Warde.</p>
                <p>Then out of <ref target="#THAM1">Thames ſtreete</ref> bee lanes
                        aſcending North to <ref target="#KNIG1">Knightriders
                        ſtreet</ref>: the firſt is <ref target="#STPE1">Peter hill lane</ref>, all of that warde (two houſes excepted adioyning to <ref target="#STPE5">Saint Peters Church</ref>.) The next is <ref target="#BENN1">Powles Wharffe hill</ref>, which thwarting <ref target="#KNIG1">Knightriders ſtreete</ref>, and <ref target="#CART1">Carter lane</ref>, goeth up to the <ref target="#PAUL1">South
                        chaine of Powles churchyarde</ref>.</p>
                <p>Then is <ref target="#ADDL1">Adleſtreete</ref>, ouer againſt the
                        Weſt part of <ref target="#BAYN1">Baynards Caſtell</ref>, going
                        up by the Weſt end of <ref target="#KNIG1">Knightriders
                        ſtreete</ref>, and to <ref target="#CART1">Carter lane</ref>.
                        Thus much for lanes out of <ref target="#THAM1">Thames
                        ſtreete</ref>. The one halfe of the Weſt ſide of <ref target="#LAMB2">Lambard hill lane</ref> being of this Warde, at the
                        Northweſt ende thereof, on the South ſide, and at the Weſt end of <ref target="#STMA34">Saint Mary
                        Magdalens church</ref> on the North ſide beginneth <ref target="#KNIG1">Knightriders ſtreete</ref> to be of this Warde, and
                        runneth Weſt on both ſides to¦the <ref target="#STAN7">pariſh church of Saint Andrew by the Wardrope</ref>.</p>
                <p>Then at the ſaid Eaſt end of <ref target="#STMA34">ſaint Mary Magdalens Church</ref> goeth up the <ref target="#OLDC1">old Exchange</ref>, al the weſt ſide whereof up to the <ref target="#AUST2">ſouth.<!-- period is in original 1603 manuscript --> eaſt gate of Powles churchyard</ref>, and by <ref target="#STAU3">S. Auſtens
                        church</ref>, is of this ward. About the midſt of this <ref target="#OLDC1">olde Exchange</ref>, on the weſt
                        ſide thereof is <ref target="#CART1">Carter lane</ref>, which
                        runeth weſt to the eaſt entry of the <ref target="#BLAC1">blacke Friers</ref>, and the ſouth ende of <ref target="#CREE2">Creed lane</ref>, out of the which <ref target="#CART1">Carter lane</ref> deſcendeth a lane called <ref target="#DOLI1">Do little
                        lane</ref>; and commeth into <ref target="#KNIG1">Knightrider
                        ſtreete</ref>, by the <ref target="#BOAR1">Bores head Tauerne</ref>: and more Weſt is <ref target="#SERM1">Sermon lane</ref>, by
                        an Inne called the <ref target="#STPA7">Powle head</ref>. Then out of <ref target="#CART1">Carter lane</ref>, on the North ſide thereof, the <ref target="#PAUL1">ſouth Chaine of Powles Churchyard</ref>, and the
                        church yard it ſelfe on that ſouth ſide of <ref target="#STPA2">Powles church</ref>, and the <ref target="#STJA2">church of ſaint Gregorie</ref> the <ref target="#BISH7">Biſhoppes
                        Palace</ref>, and the <ref target="#DEAN2">Deanes lodging</ref>, be all of this Warde: and ſuch be the boundes thereof. </p>
            </div>
          <div xml:id="CAST2_boundaries">
            <head>Note on Ward boundaries on Agas Map</head>
            <p>Ward boundaries drawn on the Agas map are approximate. The Agas map does not lend itself well to georeferencing or georectification, which means that we have not been able to import the raster-based or vector-based shapes that have been generously offered to us by other projects. We have therefore used our drawing tools to draw polygons on the map surface that follow the lines traced verbally in the opening paragraph(s) of each ward chapter in the <title level="m">Survey</title>. <ref target="map.xml">Read more about the cartographic genres of the Agas map</ref>.</p>
          </div>
        </body>
    </text></TEI>