Candlewick Street Ward
CAndlewicke ſtreete, or Candlewright ſtreete warde, beginneth at the Eaſt end of great Eaſtcheape, it paſſeth weſt through Eaſtcheape to Candlewright ſtreete, and through the ſame downe to the north ende of Suffolke lane, on the ſouth ſide, an downe that lane by the weſt ende of ſaint Laurence Churchyard, which is the fartheſt weſt part of that ward. The ſtreete of great Eaſtcheape is ſo called of the Market there kept, in the Eaſt part of the Citie, as Weſt Cheape is a Market ſo called of being in the Weſt.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Print. [Also available as a reprint from Elibron Classics (2001). Articles written before 2011 cite from the print edition by volume and page number.]
This project is supported by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council.
Share | |